SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 08:29:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom's Stoner? New Orleans  (Read 5387 times)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« on: May 06, 2012, 06:14:14 pm »

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/clt/2974673852.html

Well, at least its cheap!!

Did they ever make this or would this be a modified machine?

Tim
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »

I tihnk Tom's is a decal applied later. Stoner to my knowledge wasn't branding machines.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:09:37 am »

Correct.  They never did.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
CoolCat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:24:25 pm »

I picked up a Tom's Stoner this past weekend that appers to be "branded".  It has five cent Tom's decals on the side and two small Tom's decals on the front.  Most importantly, its mirror has Tom's, toasted peanuts and fresh candy in the mirror.   They are definitely not decals that were applied to the surface of the mirror.  Do you think an individual or store would have bothered to have such a mirror made up?  The paint also seems to be an original red-orange.  I took a pic to post, but the attachment option is unavailable on my iPad.

David

C-51
Vendo 63
Popcorn Machine

...needs more toys.
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:21:14 am »

I think it's cool. We'll probably never know the history
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 06:58:28 am »

Was it that red one in VA for $350 that had the double sticker on the bottom? The mirror looked like the real deal. If you google it you will see 1-2 more with the exact mirror, and red. Good pickup, but.....!!!!!!

Please post photos!

Tim
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:22:05 am »

Was it that red one in VA for $350 that had the double sticker on the bottom?
I saw that when I was at my brother's house and should have pulled the trigger since it was only 1 1/2 hours from there and I was there too, so I could pick it up and store it at my brothers... Oh well...

My six cents,

Jim

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 03:45:17 pm »

I saw that when I was at my brother's house and should have pulled the trigger since it was only 1 1/2 hours from there and I was there too, so I could pick it up and store it at my brothers... Oh well...

Being a Tom's on the mirror, I thought $350 was a good price even thought it was a square top machine. There will always be more!!

Tim
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:51:26 pm »

"Tom's" makes it interesting.  That's why the hobby is fun.
CoolCat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:12 pm »

I'm really happy with this Tom's Stoner... it's my first Stoner of any kind.  I did get it in Virginia... Virginia Beach, though it came out of a barn in Chesapeake via an estate auction a few years ago.  I only had to travel a few minutes to pick up the machine which was really nice.  I have not seen too many Stoners come available in this area since I've been looking (for the last several years).

I think I've decided to simply "rejuvenate" the machine rather than restore it.  It's a little "sweaty", but I kind of like it that way.  It shows the machine has a history.  Overall, the finish is reasonably good for a survivor machine, in my opinion.  I used polishing compound clean up the approximately 50 years worth of grime embedded in the paint.  The candy display area has some breakthrough rust on the surface (this bothers me the most of any of the cosmetic issues with the machine).  There is also a bit of rust coming through on the tray area.  I think I made a bit of a mistake when I tried to clean the display glass on the inside... some of the silkscreen came off with little provocation.  I think I will probably replace that glass.

Once I have the machine cleaned up on the outside, I will probably pull out the vend stack and clean it.  Currently, when I set the machine to free vend with the door open, and pull any of the knobs, all of the shelves (in that stack) drop down.  Any ideas why that is happening?

Some other "problems":  (1) I need a front lock for the candy area; (2) I need a key for the storage area; and (3) the door has an obvious history of sagging away from the hinge as evidenced by bare metal on the corner to the left of the vend tray.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

David

C-51
Vendo 63
Popcorn Machine

...needs more toys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: