SMC Discussion Areas
May 07, 2024, 03:14:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1956 United Ball Bowler  (Read 6066 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: December 07, 2009, 11:04:42 pm »

glare Did anyone from the Michigan Mafia score the 1956 United Ball Bowler that was on the Detroit CL?  glare I just missed out on it as there was one person ahead of me.  darn The posting is gone but it looked to be in great condition based on the pictures.  Supposedly, complete working original unit for $600.  Would have been a cool addition to the collection--oh well!

I am sure I will find something else to spend my money on before the week is out!

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:10:51 pm »

I guess I did save the pics--here they are!  down  Would have looked great in my basement.  down

drinking Tim drinking
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:32:47 am »

I saw it earlier, passed, and still kick myself for not grabbing it.  I'll keep an eye for you Tim, it may be a while beofre one moves up the wish list, so i'll just come over and play yours Smiley

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:39:07 am »

That's United's first ball bowler.  It had the three inch balls instead of the 4.5" balls.  Only one game and no real gutters.  I would've passed on it.

A lot of stuff.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:21:37 am »

Not that I have the room, or the $$ for one now, but one day. So Larry,  what's the better style game, shuffle puck or bowling bowl?  I ask in  terms of  availability of parts,  how easy to work on , etc.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 10:07:41 am »

Parts are the same for both.  Except the ball bowler has a ball return motor and a chain driven lift to bring the balls back.  

The work is the same for both.

The ball bowler is more fun and realistic, plus it has a better resale value.

I like the United 1962 games.  At that time they had seven games on each machine that I like.  In 1961 they only had five games.  Mine is from 1960, it only has two games but I have a girl on my backglass.  Which I like.  I think mine was the last game to feature a full image of a girl.  The fifties games had pictures of ladies, the early sixties had patterns, and the mid sixties had a lot of pointy looking graphics.  After 1963, I believe all the bowlers had seven games.  1962 and 1963 are the only years that had the combination of seven games that I like to play.  Plus the earlier games were made of oak.

Games that I like are:

Regulation - Regular scoring.

Bonus - Frames 1-7 are worth so much for a strike or spare and frames 8-10 are worth double that amount.  Also, there is a seperate area that gives you so many points for a spare and so many points for a strike.  These totals are added up and during the eleventh frame if you get a strike you collect all the points.  If you get a spare, you get half.  If you get a blow, you get nothing.  This is the best party game because anyone can creep up and win in the end.

Advance - different frames are worth different values.  Another good catch up game.

Special Scoring or also called Progressive - strike values increase for consecutive strikes, up to three in a row.  4, 5, 6, 7,8, etc strikes in a row are worth the same as three in a row.

Spares - the machine gives you various spares to make.  Some games change only after that spare is made.  Others give a totally different spare combination for each frame.  You have one throw to make the spare.

Flash - you have to time your ball according to numbers flashing across the bottom of the lane.  The center gives you the highest strike or spare value.  In flash the flashing lights and value stop after the first ball is thrown.

Dual Flash - Dual flash is the same as Flash, but the numbers and values continue to scroll across on the second shot.  So you have to time the spare, just like trying to time your strike.

Line Up- is a tic tac toe game.  Similar to flash, but you try to stop the numbers to form tic tac toe.

Strike - I don't like this game.  Similar to spares.  One throw allowed to make a strike.

Here's my 1960 United falcon.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:36:51 am by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 05:32:00 pm »

Larry,

Thanks for the education.  happydrinkers This is in the top part of my list so now I know a lot more about them before I make a buy.  That is what I like about this site!

drinking Tim drinking
pepsi-perk
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 07:50:51 pm »

There is one listed on the STL Craigslist for $250 OBO - not much of a post - no pics or anything, but thought I would post it in case someone was interested.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/spo/1497198015.html
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:22:39 am »

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed write up.  The knowledge held within this group never ceases to amaze me.  I could, and sometimes do, sit for a couple hours at a time just paging through the posts.  Its more entertaining than the TV, and I learn a thing or two along the way.  Not that United Ball Bowler trivia manages to come up that often in general conversation around the office, but I still find this to be one of my favorite places on the internet.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: