SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 11:20:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I love the smell of fresh gunpowder in the morning....  (Read 13312 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« on: September 01, 2011, 05:13:13 am »

Good luck to any of you heading out for some Dove hunting this fine September morning.....
I heading out into the AZ sun....

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
indymanjoe

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:43:23 am »

dove hunting was voted down in MI.Are they good to eat? Thats the one bird my wife would kill me for shooting LOL  Good luck to those that are hunting though!
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:02:09 am »

I don't know how good they are to eat(squab), but they certainly are challenging to shoot.
    TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:02:39 am »

I've got them all over my property.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 12:12:18 pm »

Back home with my limit (10)  biggrin
Bird hunting is my favorite (duck, geese, quail, dove)! For Dove & Quail I get to use my favortite shotguns - I have two old L.C. Smith side x side guns (12 & 20). I used to use my 12 guage for duck & geese before the steel shot law, but that steel shot would tear it up so I had to buy another for waterfowl hunting.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 01:24:18 pm »

My son is soooo ready for hunting season (deer) he wants to take his M1 Grande he bought..
I'm not a hunter and am not sure about that?... He's 13 and loves fishing and hunting must have
skipped a generation... I'm as into it as he. But it beats sitting playing videos days on end... And the jerky is good! smile
Don't know of any dove hunters around here... But I'm sure he would want to try it...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 01:37:07 pm »

M1 Garand, huh?  Cool.  He's 13 and bought one of those?  Hell, I just got one from my wife for my retirement gift.  Is his a new model or vintage WWII?  I know they're remaking them again.

I used to hunt all the time, dove and deer, but I just can't do it anymore.  As for eating dove, they're rather gamey tasting in my opinion, sort of like a liver, but not near as bad.  Quail is really good.  I love venison!!!  Just can't shoot them anymore.  Guess the Corps changed me in that regard.  I enjoy watching them more than killing them.

Good luck to all the hunters out there!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:11:13 pm »

It's a WWII with a newer barrel.. He is a WWII nut, which I'm very proud of... He was struggling with reading
till we went to a gun show and met a survivor of the USS Indianapolis... He stood there listening to every
word that HERO had to say... He had a book he was selling “In Harms Way” around 500 pages... He wanted it
we bought it he read it all that summer, then found another WWII book then another, etc. We go to reenactments
auctions, swap meets, etc. he has a great little collection. Anyway back to this topic.. it a good rifle, and he's a
good shot... So we'll see how he does this fall... Last year he got his first, a 7 point and a coyote to boot! All on
video...

Have bought a couple WWII helmets at Chicago show.. so the show has a little of everything!... That's were I like
to hunt smile

Eric

WANTED:
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:19:19 pm »

I'm truly glad to hear someone so young is so interested in WWII.  Thanks for keeping him interested and feeding that interest.  What sort of things does he/you collect with regard to WWII?  I may have a couple things I can send to you depending on where the interst lies.  Let me know.

Ken

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 02:47:38 pm »

Thanks.. If it's WWII he likes it... He has patches, uniforms, hats, helmets, war ration books, a weekend pass, his great grandfathers dog tags,
bayonet (what's a M1 without that? oh ), pins, medals, you name it... TomfromJersey sent him a big box of military stuff it was like Christmas
and Neil sent him a side bag/pouch for a gas mask... He does all his own wheeling and dealing... He does better than me. and his little 9 year old brother is right behind.. learning and listening... (He's torn between collecting WWII stuff too and root beer and soda bottle caps) So flea markets has become a family affair.

You should see the Vets talk with him at the VFW hall he has a book that he gets their signature in and when and where they served...
A couple from D-Day, battle of the bulge... Bombers, tankers... amazing stories...

Eric

WANTED:
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 02:53:08 pm »

That's really cool.  I'll take a look to see if there's anything I have that I can part with and get back in touch with you.  I have a couple M1 bayonets myself that are brand new, never issued...but I don't think I'll be able to part with those, haha.  I'll take a look though and let you know what I can come up with.

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 03:09:43 pm »

Thank you... and getting back on topic of hunting.. who all hunts here?... Son would like to try bow hunting this year
both deer and turkey.

Eric

WANTED:
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 05:17:09 pm »

Before my accident I was an avid deer hunter. Now my leg wont let me walk too far.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 05:43:53 pm »

Ken,
I have a lifetime hunting license in Texas, but just don't get back there much to use up my 5 or so deer tags. I love venison too.

I have a recipe that might change your mind on dove though. I've been making it for the past 20 years and have converted a lot of non dove-eaters.
Marinated dove with some pepper, bacon, jalepeno and onion. It is delicious! Can be a little hot for some, but the jalepenos are seeded and peeled and not really very hot.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 06:11:54 pm »

Sounds really good.  It's not so much that I didn't like to eat them, I just can't kill them anymore.  Not sure what happen to me the last 20 years, but I just can't do it.  I'll eat them though!  My mother used to cook them like a chicken fried steak.  The recipe you have sounds really good!

How is it that you have a lifetime license?  VA Disability?  I have yet to receive my decision back from the VA.  Not to get too personal with questions on here, sorry.

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 06:27:51 pm »

I grew up in Texas and before I moved to AZ in 1990 to live permanently, I purchased the (then $500) lifetime hunt/fish license from TP&W.
Ha - I just looked online and it now costs $1800  biggrin

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 06:43:01 pm »

I hunt deer,geese, dove, quail, rabbits,turkey. My oldest son is really big into hunting. He makes videos and sets up at trade shows. Check his web sight out at www.team radical.com. He plants a lot of food plots. It really helps the bucks to get really large racks.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 06:44:57 pm »

I hunt deer,geese, dove, quail, rabbits,turkey. My oldest son is really big into hunting. He makes videos and sets up at trade shows. Check his web sight out at www.team radical.com. He plants a lot of food plots. It really helps the bucks to get really large racks.

I like large racks...  tounge

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 07:28:37 pm »

I like large racks...

laugh laugh
I got a big 8 ft. long hat rack for you Ken!  tounge

Rod,
Did you go hunting today? I was looking at the IL Game and Fish site. I wish my Dove season was as long as yours. I get from 9/1-9/15 and that is it until 11/25 this year. I usually don't make it out the second season.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 07:38:32 pm »

and getting back on topic of hunting.. who all hunts here?
I bow hunt exclusively and will continue to do so until I cannot pull back a bow ! ! !
I know I may offend a few, but anyone can spend an afternoon and learn to shoot a "sighted-in" rifle; however, bow hunting takes things to the next level and really challenges your hunting skills ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

indymanjoe

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 08:08:19 pm »

Me and my wife Bow hunt.she hasnt been bird hunting yet but she will this year.I didnt get into the sport untill 6-7yrs ago.My house rules are if you kill something you better eat it.....no matter what it is lol i allways thought hunting was cruel then i got educated LOL we practice daily from aug-to damn cold to be out practicing.(her aug 30th)LOL what a great time! have only had to track 1 outta 6 deer,arrows thru the heart will drop em on the spot.the 1 went 50-75yards,double lunger...Deer hunting to me is like a religous experience.shakin here just thinkin about it LOL
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 08:29:12 pm »

I bow hunt exclusively and will continue to do so until I cannot pull back a bow ! ! !
I know I may offend a few, but anyone can spend an afternoon and learn to shoot a "sighted-in" rifle; however, bow hunting takes things to the next level and really challenges your hunting skills ! ! !

Can't hunt birds (except turkey) with a bow! Well you could hunt them, but I doubt you would get many.
I am not a trophy hunter - I hunt for the meat, so I prefer younger animals (spikes and does) when I go deer hunting!
Bird hunting is my first love - my grandfather started taking me out hunting quail and ducks when I was about 9 or 10 years old. It is fast and furious sometimes - nothing like the covey of quail that holds and then they scare the crap out of you flying up at your feet one by one as you walk along or calling a whole flock of ducks right into the decoys. I love it!
Game is the best (and most expensive) meat you can buy!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:17:13 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 08:34:58 pm »

Glad to hear someone is not a trophy hunter!!  I personally don't care for those that take out the cream of the crop and leave the weaker ones.  I figure the idea should be to take out the weaker animals, such as the spikes, and leave the stronger ones to breed good stock.  I think that's been one of the problems in central Texas, that folks keep taking the stronger animals and as a result, the deer here have shrunk.  A good buck might dress out to 140 if you're lucky.  Most doe are as big as my great dane, haha.  You guys are all making me hungry for some venison!!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 08:53:39 pm »

Now I don't know.. some of these bows with their sites and strength.. a little more skill yes
but some are not much different than some rifles (depending on the range of course)
unless you're hunting with one of those old time bows.. no sites, etc. have you seen those guys on TV?
we're talking a bent stick with a string look'n bows...OLD SCHOOL he had to be almost on top of it..
awesome to watch...
But my family hunt with both.. and everything taken we eat too.. though I'm not crazy about deer..

Now I don't hunt at all.. but going last year with my son and being there when he got that deer... I might
go... SO many here in Missouri just get hit during the rut season... they need to be thinned out.
And He's been 2 for 2 in turkey season... and those are good deep fried with a cajun seasoning rub!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:55:42 pm by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »

Fried turkey, now you're talking!!  Very good!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 10:52:07 pm »

I used to hunt all the time, small game, birds, and deer. Got my license at 12. I had a parapalegic Uncle who took me out all the time, I have great memories. In Jersey we can only use shotguns and Black powder, no regular rifles. I haven't gone since my son was born, he's seven. Love black powder season, it's just as the rut is hitting. Bow hunted for several years also, but had surgery on both shoulders. The first time you don't see me at the Chicago Show in November, I'll definetely be out in the woods.
  I've got a sweet 20 ga side by side, for rabbits, and a 10 ga side by side for ducks and geese. Use a Browning BPS for deer season, and an inline stainless black powder for the special season.
  I've also shot USPSA, and classified as a C shooter, using a Para Ordnance P-16 40 limited. Shot turkey shoots with a Kentucky rifle too. There was a time when I tried to become a Deputy Conservation Officer. Nothing better than spending time in the great outdoors. Food always tastes better when you put it on the table yourself.
  My Dad, God Bless him, used to love having scrambled eggs and venison liver for breakfast.

TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 06:01:51 am »

laugh laugh
I got a big 8 ft. long hat rack for you Ken!  tounge

Rod,
Did you go hunting today? I was looking at the IL Game and Fish site. I wish my Dove season was as long as yours. I get from 9/1-9/15 and that is it until 11/25 this year. I usually don't make it out the second season.

No I am at a show right now. Bought some neat things. I will have to post pictures later. I may go dove hunting later on when I get home and get more time.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
indymanjoe

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 10:28:29 pm »

Can't hunt birds (except turkey) with a bow! Well you could hunt them, but I doubt you would get many.
I am not a trophy hunter - I hunt for the meat, so I prefer younger animals (spikes and does) when I go deer hunting!
Bird hunting is my first love - my grandfather started taking me out hunting quail and ducks when I was about 9 or 10 years old. It is fast and furious sometimes - nothing like the covey of quail that holds and then they scare the crap out of you flying up at your feet one by one as you walk along or calling a whole flock of ducks right into the decoys. I love it!
Game is the best (and most expensive) meat you can buy!
i hunt pheasent with a round like cage on the end of the arrow...nocks em right outta the sky LOL,course my Labrador is almost as fast LOL
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 10:32:59 pm »

i hunt pheasent with a round like cage on the end of the arrow...nocks em right outta the sky LOL,course my Labrador is almost as fast LOL

I'd like to see that!
I'm going to check youtube right now!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
jasmine64
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 06:48:08 pm »

Dove hunters are making my doxie crazy. She cant stand the shooting. They have the blue jays screeching.

Marsha

Cav. CD 22
Choice Vend 168 - Use daily.
jasmine64
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 06:56:40 pm »

Hubbies deer.

Marsha

Cav. CD 22
Choice Vend 168 - Use daily.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 07:11:31 pm »

Cousin would hunt large bird with a rubber tipped arrow. He was also fond of bow hunting fish from the bank. All single bow and string.
Dove/Quail were 410 double barrel. Good eating after 8 hr. in a crock pot.
Don't have time/money myself to hunt but have a fun 25' pellet gun range set up in the basement :-)
Creighton

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: