SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 11:57:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7up cooler  (Read 32168 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: August 11, 2011, 09:23:36 pm »

Got this at an antique store today for $28. Does not look too bad and the inside has no rust in it and the bottom is not rusted through. The lid was smashed in but I got most of it pulled out by holding it down with my feet and pulling up on the handle. Just got a small dent now. It looks like someone has painted it at one time so I am a little worried that I might find some rust under there but it does feel pretty solid so I think it should be ok. Also it does not have the tray inside. I look forward to working on this very soon.

David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:35:20 pm »

nice deal, should look great once re-painted
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:57:49 pm »

Yep very good deal. I dount you will find rust under it. Usually you would see it under the paint. Sometimes on cars people cover up rust with bondo and you can get some surprises when stripping off paint but I doubt you will find many people doing a lot of body and repair work on a picnic cooler. I think someone repoped the trays but I am not sure. You see them on ebay from time to time. Great find
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:08:05 pm »

Nice price!

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:40:24 pm »

Looks like it was painted with a spray can so if you carefully remove the paint from the logos you might find some nice color on them.

Glen
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 10:44:30 pm »

Thanks guys! I do have a few questions about some of the parts. The first one is are the corner pieces chrome plated or are they stainless steel? They are painted right now so I have no idea but the handles appear to be stainless so I am guessing that they are as well. The other question I have is what is the logo supposed to look like? From what I know I think it was origionally just painted red on the raised parts. Not sure if I will go that way or paint it up a little differently by putting black in the "shadow" of the letters and on the bar at the top and bottom of the logo kind of like the logo on a 7up machine from the same time period. I think that would look pretty cool.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 06:52:00 am »

the corner trim on my cooler is polished stainless

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:58:24 pm »

I stripped the paint off over the logo with some paint stripper and found that the red was all chipped up so I think they just painted it to make it look better to sell. No big deal though since I all ready planned to strip the paint down on it. Going to use some chemical strippers on it since I have heard of the embossing being damaged by a wire wheel on a grinder. I also plan on panting the logo to look more like the embossing on a 7up vending machine since I think it will look pretty good.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:24:04 pm »

Mine have polished aluminium...& I don't think that suitcase latch holding down the lid is original, seems like the crushed the coolers side flat just to mount it.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 12:41:16 am »

I was wondering about that latch. Who ever mounted them on there used rivets to hold the lid latches on so I was thinking they were origional but when they blocked the movement of the handle it made me wonder about them. I'm also not a fan of them so I think I might remove them. They did crush a little part to get the latch on but I think I can pop that back out and the other side is fine. I did see that the liner for the lid is not really held in very well anymore so I will need to do some work on that. Maybe have my brother bring it to his metals class and use the spot welder on it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: