SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 09:37:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A&W  (Read 4390 times)
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« on: September 08, 2016, 01:03:03 pm »

I picked up this old A&W "Order O-Matic" menu light up recently.  I'm guessing probably 1970's.

I'm going to have to replace the lighting.  I would like to find a speaker and take apart the speaker block and see if I can rig something up so you could push the button and here it out a speaker.

Anyone out there tech savy have any ideas?  There is also a switch for tray pick up...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:43:32 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:50:19 pm »

Awesome.. we had an A&W in my hometown.. great memories.. good luck with the project.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
VegasVic

here's the real thing

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 02:57:18 pm »

I love it. Does it have the Papa Burger, Mama Burger and Baby Burger?

Cavalier CSS-8-64J (7/73) Coke Machine
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 09:22:16 pm »

I'm going to have to replace the lighting.  I would like to find a speaker and take apart the speaker block and see if I can rig something up so you could push the button and here it out a speaker.

Anyone out there tech savy have any ideas?  There is also a switch for tray pick up...

Cool item, what's the output of the mic, just a standard audio output?  You'll need an amplified speaker to get sound out, give this one a shot, cheap for experimenting: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-mini-audio-amplifier?variant=5717614213

Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 10:14:41 pm »

The inside has the connection ends were a t-12 bulb used to belong.  

I will have to take apart the speaker with the push button inside it to investigate.  I assume the speaker is low voltage at 24 volts so it looks like I will have to somehow step down the voltage.  Not to good with electricity so I might only get as far as installing a light ...

HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:08:19 pm »

Great score, congrats!

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Ken Layton
5 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 11:45:17 pm »

In the 1960's those order menu units were built by Eprad out of Toledo, Ohio. Eprad was well-known in the theater industry and built many pieces of movie theater equipment including drive-in theater speakers.

Carbon Arc --- the light that's bright is the light that's right ---for film projection that is!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: