SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 04:52:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got questions...youve got answers...WE-6  (Read 4099 times)
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« on: May 12, 2012, 04:19:19 pm »

Guys... i recently got a WE-6 cooler, it's the one that looks identical though to the WD-12. Anyways, Ive started gutting as I only want to restore the interior and convert from water to air cooling. Couple of questions, please check pics.

1. On the insulation, what sort of adhesive was used or is recommended to help secure the insulation? I noticed sticky black marks that I'm guessing is residue from an old adhesive.

2. What is the tray under the insulation...is this just a piece of sheet metal? Is this welded in place? Mine is chewed up pretty bad and will need to be replaced.

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:34:06 pm »

Continue to answer my own questions. I was able to pull this pan out which indeed was sheet metal. Looks to have been glued in place. Any one have any ideas though on the adhesive? Is there a better way you did this during your restoration?

Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 07:50:18 pm »

yeah....find someone you know, who has sheetmetal equipment and have a new pan made. Do you
know anyone like that?  glare

I would use a roofing adhesive, which comes in a calk tube and is 'pitch' based....black, and go to town.

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:35 pm »

Yep...pan is toast. I'd like to do stainless steel. What we talking about price wise there?

I seem to think I know someone who can handle metal fabrication. It'll come to me sooner or later. Cool

Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:05:10 am »

Stainless Steel is  little overkill for a peices that won't be seen except from underneath.

I always just replace that peice with galvanized... any sheet metal place can hook you up on that... I actally have then cut in two as its easier to install them... the only function they serve is to support your insulation on the bottom..

as far as adhesive,, it's not really going anywhere.. so whatever you have accessible is fine...

as for the inner tub. I have done both stainless and Galvanized... so chose what you want.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:01:38 pm »

Are the metal cross beams that the sheet metal sits on galvanized? Asking because I want to put rustoleum primer on them.

Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 11:32:00 pm »

If you call around to a couple of sheet metal shops they can typically bend you some new metal if you bring in the old one in for dimensions.  Depending on their equipment, some can probably quote you both stainless and galvanized.  Smaller shops may be more willing to do these one off jobs.  I had new lower pans made for my 81 and 56, did them at the same time.  Cost me $140 combined and I did them in stainless.  I know they are not visible, but I like knowing I should never have to worry about rust again and if I need another pan made some day, I can go back to them again.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: