SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 03:59:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 33 drum  (Read 8348 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: June 03, 2010, 09:15:16 pm »

I am looking for a VMC 33 drum. I will even take a damaged one if someone has one. I want to try to make something to vend cans. They are slightly too thick to work. How common are these machines? The drum looks rather simple to remake. If I could make a repop that vends cans do you think there would be a market??
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:20:36 am »

I don't sell a lot of parts for the 33. It's not a popular machine. If the drum was made to vend cans the machine may become a little more desirable. Just beware of making a part just because other people say they would buy it if you make it. I had a lot of people want the Quikold gasket so I made it and have sold very little of it. Had people who wanted to vend cans in there Vendo 44's so I recreated the rocker arms to vend cans. Have only sold a few of them. So between people telling you it would be great to have and actually buying it are two different things.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:22:00 am »

Good advice Rod! So I will try to make one for myself and if it works and looks good maybe just make another two or three to test the waters. If it worked and was good quality would you be interested in trying it in your store? I think this is a discussion more for private than in a message board. I think if we can make the single vend small bottle machines a way to be used again it will bring their popularity back up.

Think about it. The V 39 used to be one of the most collected and  most valuable machines available. But that was 15 or more years ago when some bottlers still refilled 6.5 oz bottles. I remember our local bottler in Norwood ohio bottled them in small quantities until about 15 years ago. Thats about the time the 8oz bottle came out and was so much more expensive and hard to get. We used to be able to go to the Coke bottler with wood cases and buy 10 or 20 cases at a time direct from Coke and they were relatively cheap.

Once that stopped the V39, C51, VMC 33 and 27 and so on lost a lot of value and collectibility. If we came up with a solution to make these machines usable again I think they would come back. It will take some time to get the word out but it would work.

Even if not to sell to the public it would make these machines a lot easier for restorers to sell. Just a thought.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:38:35 am »

I remember a while back 5-8 years ago, someone was making a Can vending stack for the v39... it was a cool looking design and basically allowed the machine to vend 3 selections, one in each opening on the front door of the v39. Not sure if he coin mech and vend handle where incorporated or not, but remember it looking kinda cool. and make it much more practical..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 11:24:37 am »

Steve Ebner had the V-39 can drum listed in his catalog. Not sure who made them though.

The way the drum in a VMC-27/33 is, I don't see an issue with the small 8oz bottles. I think the separator could be bent down if there was an issue with it, but I think it will work as is. Glen said the machine will also vend long necks without the baffle in the back (which I don't think the VMC Pepsi has). Remember Pepsi had the King Size bottles - more for 5c. So making it vend cans doesn't solve much (unless it is 3-select like John mentioned) as you still are a single vend. All you gain is being able to stock it a little cheaper. I had a VMC/27 in High School and I used to load the original drum with Coors during parties, so I know they will fit (unless the can size has changed since then). I don't drink Coors anymore.

Josh - I really wouldn't waste the time, effort and money.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »

That V-39 drum was made by Cornhusker Sign

http://www.cornhuskersign.com/Default.htm

The last time I called them they were out of them and said they would call me when they had more.  Still have not heard back from them.

drinking Tim drinking
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:10:24 pm »

The biggest issue is I have a Pepsi machine that I cannot stock with Pepsi! If people want to use these with soda there is no way to stock this machine with soda product unless it is Coke, Fanta, Orange or rootbeer and I think the rootbeer are too fat. I just tried it with a long neck without the baffle and the bottle will not come down the chute. Does it need to be crown first?
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 04:21:29 pm »

The Vending Stack I was refferring to the V39 was not a Drum at all, it was completely different mechanism comprised of three chutes that each held a different flavor can. and the end of each chute lined up with one of the three holes on the front of a V39.. it was completely different design than a round drum. I'll attempt to draw it as  Ican't find a photo anywhere.  it was just cool, and didn't know what happend to it..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 04:29:50 pm »

Josh, try adjusting the chute a little.

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 04:31:17 pm »

Those cold beers look pretty good now that the work day is done!

drinking Tim drinking
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 04:46:28 pm »

Holly crap!!! I didn't know it could do that ! Now I really want to keep this machine for myself.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 05:44:58 pm »

Thanks Glen!
Now I want to pull out my VMC-27A and fill it up. I'd have to remove my baffle - ehh...too much work! It is way in the back of my shed also! upside

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: