SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 04:54:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing myself, collector, long time lurker, finally got in!  (Read 10920 times)
FullThrottle
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:00:47 pm »

Hello Everyone,
First of all, awesome forums guys! Let me introduce myself, the name is Karl. I've learned alot about machines built long before my time by browsing threads... I could never post, a year of lurking and it wouldn't accept my login name and password! tounge

I'm in my later 20's and most of this stuff is long before me, but I have an appreciation for things of old and am an avid coin-op collector. In my collection I have well over 40 video arcade machines, 3 pinball machines, 4 electro-mechanical arcade machines, a Wurlitzer 3700 jukebox and a bunch of other random junk you guys wouldn't care about! Cool Basically, I live inside of an arcade that fills my house.

Dr. Pepper being my soda pop of choice, I knew I needed a pop machine in the house... Found a non-working Dixie Narco 276 last year on CL, Dr. Pepper of course, and had originally tried to get a membership here to ask questions but it never went active. I ended up getting it fixed really easily and was drinking cold pop by the end of the next week.

I think my coolest and oldest machine so far is a 1948 STONER Junior 6-pull Candy machine! It was pretty dirty, some mechanical problems, but had alot of potential, an original petina, and sexy curves that were to die for! I did a trade deal with a local E.M. collector and brought her home... I got to work immediately and she's looking beautiful now! I'd restore it to look mint, but I like the character of a worn machine that isn't beat to crap!! I've finally got 4 of the 6 selections picked out, but can't seem to settle on two non-chocolate sweets to toss in the Stoner.

Lately I've been getting into more oddball coin-op machines, since I'm mostly out of room and just trying to fill in some gaps in my collection to cover all of coin operated goodies! Looking for more gumball machines, I have a couple but would like a nice variety in all the rooms of my house. Also very interested in finding an old bottle soda pop machine so I can put the good beers and oddball cola's that don't come in cans.

Looking forward to hanging around here more and getting to know you guys! And of course, swooping some deals from CL and fellow collectors on some vintage "real" coin-op machines!

Here's a few pics so you can get an idea that I am too in the group of crazies that over collect! biggrin
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:11:47 pm »

Hey, glad you got on. Nice panoramic shot of your game room with the Stoner.
FullThrottle
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:17:50 pm »

Thanks! Thats not a gameroom... thats a livingroom! Can't you tell the difference?!  oops laugh
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:21:20 pm »

and a bunch of other random junk you guys wouldn't care about! Cool

Don't underestimate some of these guys!
Welcome!

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:24:23 pm »

Thanks! Thats not a gameroom... thats a livingroom! Can't you tell the difference?!  oops laugh
you definately are into it, and judging from all the stuff in your "LIVING ROOM", I can jump to the conclusion that your a Single guy too!  laugh
You'll fit in just fine with this group. Great looking stoner, I would not restore that one either, it's only original once.
Welcome!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:26:47 pm »

Welcome aboard happydrinkers Full Throttle!  Great collection you have there!  I like the stoner and I agree with you--if you can keep it original that is the way to go.

Suggestion for non-chocolate old-school candy from way before your time:

Chuckles
Jujubes
Sugar Babies
SweeTarts

You can't go wrong with any of these and here is where you can get them:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/candy-pix1.htm

drinking Tim drinking

www.the3day.org/goto/Tim.McDonnell

oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:30:13 pm »

Nope, can you?

sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 01:51:26 am »

welcome aboard  happydrinkers

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 05:29:46 am »

Glad to have you around and "official"! Thanks for sharing those pictures of your gameroom/house!  laugh

Brian
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 05:37:11 am »

Glad we got you fixed up Karl... You will definitely fit it with this group of loons..  happydrinkers

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
FullThrottle
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 08:47:53 am »

Thanks Bubba, you're the man!

I spent maybe four hours last night reading threads and looking at pictures. The diversity of machines is overwhelming and gives me lots of hope in finding the other types of machines that I'm looking for.
mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 01:41:34 pm »

welcome, welcome,welcome, glad to have a new face in the group
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 02:04:18 pm »

Hello & welcome to the Site!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 02:16:34 pm »

Welcome to the site.  You forgot to say "Hello, my name is Karl and I'm a alco..... , I mean gameaholic."

Nice gun games.

A lot of stuff.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 07:53:59 pm »

Welcome to the club... hope you stick around and allow us to watch you run out of room in your home with more machines! You have got the bug! great Stoner! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 09:11:57 pm »

Karl,

Welcome! Nice machines you have! You will find out that this is a great group here! We have people all over the country and some across the seas as well! Glad you found us!

Brian

happydrinkers drinking

Brian  happydrinkers
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 10:02:04 pm »

Karl,
         Welcome Aboard !! As mills said Nice Gun games ! I have a Twin Rifle Shooter game it's fun .

Ltransam

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 12:18:02 am »

Welcome, Karl!  Glad to have you finally join in the conversation!   happydrinkers  As others have said, this hobby and this board are addictive!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 06:52:37 am »

Welcome, it's good to keep all us crazy people in one place. Enjoy the site.

Curtis, Memory Lane Restorations
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 07:25:12 am »

Welcome aboard.   biggrin It l@@ks like the bug has bittin you. One good thing about our hobby is that when you get tired of something you can always sell it, and replace it with something new.
Enjoy : drinking

Rod
Fun-Tronics
FullThrottle
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 08:53:33 am »

Thank you for the very warm welcome guys!

Is there a list of old mechanical machines w/ pics? I've enjoyed going thru the pop machine albums, and would like to see more Cigar, Cigarette, Candy, gumball, and oddball coin-op pics/descriptions.

Since these are all before my time (again, I'm 28, a baby) I have no reference as to even the age of a machine or how much is a fair price, since most are pretty hashed.

I'm an auto mechanic in real life so I love to tinker and fix old things. Been doing it my whole life alot of the skills pretty much boosted my experience and natural ability when I started going nuts on the coin-op.

What are "sherbits"? There is a Sherbits candy machine near me, looks kinda cool, but again, being so young I HATE TO ASK YOU GUYS EVERY OTHER AFTERNOON WHAT THIS OR THAT IS AND SHOULD I PAY XX FOR IT?

Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 09:37:01 am »

Fullthrottle
               I beleive it was a Candy like Sweet tarts ??Not Sure Though .They was a Machine Local to ( me in Cincinnati ) Machine in Kentucky abought 3-4 months back just LIke the one you Picture .For $100-$150 I think It was on E-bay Then Craigs List Never Sold That I know Of . But REMEMBER !!! If you like it Buy It !! If it a Good Deal Or YOU WANT IT ANYWAY  tounge

Ltransam

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 09:44:33 am »

Welcome, i'll have ot have someone send  the pics on page one, but it sounds like my kinds of room.

Questions are good, we love sharing our knowledge,  And  like Len said, if you find something you like,  jump it. I kicked  myself  too many times when I over anlyzed the deal, and lost it to someone else

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: