SMC Discussion Areas
May 23, 2024, 10:30:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jukebox Help. Seeburg Hideaway  (Read 5214 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: November 14, 2009, 05:43:20 am »

I have found  2 Hideaway Seeburg Jukes that play 78's. The mech looks like its a M100A unit. Are these worth anything. I can get them really cheap. I cannot find any info other than they did make them. I don't know if hideaway's are collectable or not. I have heard that they are very hard to find. Anyone know anything. Here are pics of the ones I found.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:34:01 am »

Hi Josh...

Looks like a much more modern wallbox with the hideaway..

Hideaways are rarer to obtain simply because bits were stolen from them to fix "real" machines..

I must confess I didn't know they did a 78 hideaway... Personally if you are looking a re-sale potential
your market is going to be very small. Not many people out there looking for a 78 player. If they are
they want the art deco feel of a real machine and not a 60's wallbox.

Parts wise might be something in it...

Dave
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:25:01 am »

Hello Josh,

My take on the "hide-away" is that the general public isn't into buying these as they are ugly and designed for concealment, not visual enjoyment.
Used with wallboxes and axillary speakers, these units are usually hidden in a back room. As Dave stated, the mechs are the same as their non-hidden twin model(s).
As far as resale, These usually take a little longer to sell and don't sell for much. Usually, someone is looking to acquire parts.

My six cents,

Jim

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:28:12 am »

Run.
I could be wrong, but the Seeburg didn't release the hideaways until the early 1960's, and as Jim stated,  they were built for stockrooms  or back rooms  and depended on wallboxes  for the customers to make their selections.
Either the seller doesn't know the difference between a LP (33 1/3) or  someone put in a 78 mech.
Anyway you look at it,  it's ugly,  there is no reslae, and the odds are high you are  going to try to figure out how it was jury rigged.
Not worth the headaches, even if it's free and you charge them to haul it away

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:29:14 am »

Thanks just had to check. Yep it is not in any of the catalogs but it does look like a M100A mech. I just wanted to make sure I didn't find something ultra rare Smiley Thanks for the input
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:42:30 pm »

hideaways have been made by seeburg since  the 40's with the slide trays.  the one pictured above is a m100a mech hideaway. you are correct they used in smaller establishment where they where tight on space.  the hideaway many time was in a backroom or basement, most often they where located right under the counter. the other advantage to the hideaway was that they were not abused by the customer, drunks kicking beating on them. at one point i had over 100 jukeboxes from the 40's and 50's   several where hideaways.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 05:52:08 pm »

I did some research and this is a 33 1/3 mech and its from 1965. Its a dud. I think I will pass.
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 06:16:15 pm »

i saw several seeburg c's at the show for 500.00    they would have ben a godd buy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: