SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 03:42:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to identify a vmc 120 ???  (Read 3824 times)
« on: July 15, 2006, 03:20:48 pm »

Hi everyone,

I am new to your forum and I was hoping I could get some assistance in identifying the features that make a VMC 120 legit as opposed to an American 120.

I am selling what I am told by client is a VMC 120 for him on eBay. Please see the following listing.

VMC 120 auction

A couple of potential bidders have questioned whether it is in fact a VMC 120. Since the only pictures I can find of the VMC or the American are just illustrations, it is difficult to pick out any unique features to match up. In fact, what I am sellling doesn't look like either! I can't find a picture of anything that looks just like it.

My client indicates that he comissioned the restoration and he truly believes it to be a VMC 120. The name he recalls for the restorer is Fred Monday. I can't find any reference to this name and was hoping someone here might know something.

The ID plate on the machine was obviously reproduced, but given the inclusion of a serial number, I can only assume that there was an original plate that may have been damaged in a condition too poor for it to be applied to a restored machine.

I understand that the restoration of this machine is not correct and that it has been "dolled up" with newer decals, so I am hoping we can keep any discussion to the fine points of what makes or doesn't make it a VMC 120.

I look forward to tapping your group knowledge.

Regards,

Greg David
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 04:22:43 pm »

Hello Greg,
Welcome to the board! Sorry I can't help but you have come to the right place.
Creighton
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 04:46:33 pm »

Greg,

Welcome to the Site!
As with many machines from early years of manufacture, slight variations where common from model to model. With that said, it can be difficult, at first, to identify a particular model and in this case, the VMC 120 is in question...

Additionally, since many of the older and more unique models are very difficult to locate, or even exist, you can only reference brochures, catalogs and manuals to properly and accurately identify these rarer soda machines.

My opinion of the machine up for auction is in fact that it's a VMC 120; however, according to original documentation, which can sometimes differ from production models, some features of this machine may have been reproduced, modified or added for functionality or proper operation. One of the more common illustrations depicting the VMC 120 can be found in the Vendorlator Section of our Soda Machines Section. If you look closely, many features present on the machine in question are also present in the illustration. Coin mech housing & location, three vend levers & location of the levers, the drum rotator handle, and the position/location of the bottle chute are present in both machines. And the drum/plate is identical to original brochure information!

Hopefully, this clears up some issues...
And good luck with the auction!

My six cents,

Jim

sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 01:32:46 pm »

Hello Greg.
 I saw the auction prior to your posting here and I must say That is one awesome  coke machine, I only wish I could have found it in unrestored condition but thats another story. Based on what Jim pointed out I would have to agree with Jim on it being a VMC120.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 03:47:38 pm »

Steve at Soda Jerk Works was telling me a while back that he had an American Vendor.  Even though your machine looks like a Vendo you might want to call him for a good comparison.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 04:45:19 pm »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great replies thus far. I will take your advice and contact Soda Jerk Works and get his opinion. I will also be adding a little to my eBay description to try to reassure some folks. As you may have noticed, the $6K reserve has been met and I want to make absolutely sure that I am correctly representing this machine. As some of you may have noticed, I have over 1300 feedback with a rating of 100%. That doesn't come easy!!!

I looked at the machine again yesterday and I could not find anything that would hint to the manufacturer other than the reproduced ID plate. There was definitely some artistic license used during the restoration, like the decals, and some of the trim. The "chrome" rings around the top and bottom of the barrel are flexible automotive trim, as are the "chrome" strips on the bottle cap catcher. There is also a stick on Coke thermometer on the bottle cap catcher that certainly doesn't belong there. The other noticeable thing is the screen on the back over the refridgeration unit. It appears to be for an old style heater register like you would see in an old house. It looks good, but I am guessing the machine was probably made with a much simpler wire mesh in place. The only other thing I thought was weird is the coin slot on the top. It appears to have been an after thought, since there is a coin slot on the left side of the coin tower that has been disabled. Perhaps this was for better function. I did run a dime through it and the mechanism did work properly. I also plugged it in for the first time and it cooled very quickly.

Fow what its worth, the cap catcher seems original looking at it's formed steel and spot welding construction. It has that "mass produced" feel to it, whereas a one off would look custom fabricated. It hangs from the machine on two big studs with keyhole slots in the catcher.

So anyway, if any of you come up with any more particulars that could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: