SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 10:36:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 81d  (Read 3105 times)
« on: April 24, 2004, 09:55:59 pm »

Hi, I just aquired a Vendo 81 and I when I plug it in to an outlet it throws the breaker...I noticed it is supposed to operate off 115V instead of 110V, but I have a 115V icebox that runs off a 110V....Why does the coke machine throw the breaker and the icebox doesn't, if there both 115V?? Any insight ya'll have will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Tommy
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 01:14:55 am »

You either have a LARGE ground or a direct short.  In single phase 115 V ac circuits, whether a unit is rated at 110V or 115V means very little.  What causes a breaker to "trip" is a large continuous surge of current that is greater than the trip setpoint of the breaker.  What this means to you is that you need to take a good, hard look at the coke machine's wiring.  Start with the electrical cable that plugs into the outlet.  If it's old and the rubber insulation is cracking, chances are you have two leads within the cable that have bare wire touching, thus causing a direct short.  It could also be a wire that has broken and is touching the metal frame of the coke machine; this would cause a direct ground and also cause the breaker to pop.  Do a good visual of the wiring.  Check outer insulation on wires that come together in junction blocks, or that go into the electrical housing of the compressor.  These are common areas where shorts/grounds form.  Also look for wires hanging free or wires that have permament bends near metal components.  The outer insulation will chafe over time causing bare wire to be exposed and also allow it to touch the metal frame of the machine, causing a ground that will pop the breaker.  There should be a "green" colored wire that bolts directly to the frame, usually near the compressor assembly.  This is the machine's "ground" wire.  This ground wire should be intact.    
  If you can't find anything obvious then you have to look deeper which requires test equipment.  If you're not electrically saavy, you may need an electrician to look at your machine.  Generally, anything that causes a breaker to pop as fast as yours does should be pretty easy to spot without the use of test equipment.
  Where are you located?  If you're near Pensacola, Fl. I can give it a look over.

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 08:36:46 am »

Thanks for replying so soon. I will follow your advice...I'm in Texas so I doubt you wanna come look it over....
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 02:52:32 pm »

I just wanted to follow up and say that after replacing the cord in stopped throwing the breaker and everything started working...it even got cold...Thanks again for your advice...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: