SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 03:56:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uss-8-64 -- flor. tube light doesn't work  (Read 6476 times)
« on: June 09, 2002, 09:14:11 pm »

Well, I tried the obvious thing first and bought a replacement tube.  15W, 18" .... it didn't come on.

I'm assuming that it needs a new ballast.  Anyone know where that is located on the USS-8-64?  I'm assuming it's in the door and I remove the metal piece from the inside.  But, before I do that, I thought I'd ask.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2002, 10:49:44 pm »

Did you check for a bad or missing starter first? does the tube try to glow when the switch is pressed in & held?

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 06:25:30 am »

uh .... what switch?  I don't see any switch?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2002, 12:41:04 pm »

I have a css-64-j and they look very similar (at least from the outside)...behind the Coke light you should find the flourescent tube (obviously) and a little black box looking thing with wires coming out of it which is a small pain to replace...that's the ballast. Also in the same area you should find a round cylinder (probably silver colored and made of some cheap metal) which is the starter. I'd replace that first along with the light tube. If it's a no-go then i'd replace the ballast as well.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2002, 03:46:31 pm »

My machine has a metal COKE sign on the top right, but I think that other models of this machine have a backlit sign there.

I removed the metal sign during painting and I noticed that a starter and ballast were there, but I assumed that they were for a backlit sign if I had one.

So you're saying that this ballast and starter control the flourescent tube in the door?  

You guys have been a life saver .... I really appreciate all the info you have given me over the past few months.  I would buy you all a beer if I could.  Ever in Memphis?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2002, 06:22:08 pm »

That should be your ballest & starter assy. behind you metal sign, (they don't pre-wire them for a light-up sign unless it comes with it.) PS if you've got a starter then you WON'T have a switch! soory bought that  'blush'

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2002, 08:14:16 pm »

Thanks for everyone's help.  I normall have a few extra starters laying around because of my fish tank lights, but I'm fresh out.  I stopped by Lowes and spent a whopping $0.98 for a pair of starters.  

I replaced the starter in the machine and the light came on as soon as I plugged the machine into the wall.

Thanks again for everyone's help.  I'm going to take a few pictures once I get it into it's final position in the garage.

This machine is finished!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2002, 10:03:33 am »

Glad you got it up and running...now just set the ratchet dog to freeplay, fill it up with beer, and enjoy the sumemr.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2002, 10:15:18 am »

Quote (uncledrinky @ June 11 2002,11:03)
Glad you got it up and running...now just set the ratchet dog to freeplay, fill it up with beer, and enjoy the sumemr.

OK .. stupid question .... How do I set the rachet dog?  I've just been keeping a bucket of nickels by the machine.  But, free vend is what I would like to do.

Thanks again!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2002, 02:07:53 pm »

I don't know how other people do it (they tell me they lock it in place with a bread tie but mine never worked like that). All i did was remove the ratchet dog. On my machine there are 2 bolts at the top of the bottle rack. I removed those and took the bottle rack out (after taking out the shelves). I unhooked the wiring (There were 5 color coded wires attached to the bottom of the bottle rack/solenoid...make sure you mark where they all go). The ratchet dog is held in place with a spring near the bottom of the bottle rack. I just took it out...just make sure to put it somewhere safe so you don't lose it should you ever want it back in...and then reassemble everything. That's how mine worked and I'm guessing your machine is pretty similar in design.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: