SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 09:10:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need info on westinghouse c-102-1 coke machine  (Read 4609 times)
« on: September 28, 2003, 11:32:22 pm »

I recently purchased a Westinghouse model C-102-1 Coke machine at an auction. I got the model number from the little plaque on the right side of the machine. I have searched the web and couldn't find any info on this particluar model (although I found some that looked quite similar).

Some questions:

I don't have a key to open the unit. What should I do to open it? If I know the make and model can I purchase a replacement key that will open it from somewhere? Should I just drill out the lock and replace it?

How collectable/rare is this particular model?

Any ideas as to what it might be worth assuming it is in good working order? Hopefully, I didn't spend too much for it.

How restorable is this particluar model? From what I have read on the web, most people are interested mainly in restoring the "round top" units (they seem to be worth a lot more money).

As strange as it may seem, I didn't find any button to push to dispense the product. On the right side of the machine there are two "windows" that might have something to do with it. I don't know what might be displayed there since apparently this machine doesn't have any selection capability (although one of the stickers says "Select Drink First").

The other puzzler is the display price. The sticker in the center reads 6 cents, but to the left is says 10 cents.

After bringing the unit back home, I briefly plugged it in to see if the compressor would come on and it did. I didn't leave it on for very long since I had to ship it on its side. I had heard that in doing this you should let the machine stand upright for a period of about 24 hours before plugging in for any length of time. But I think the unit is in fairly good working condition.

The light behind the front top panel didn't come on (I am assuming there is a light behind the panel). Where can I get a light bulb for it?

I would like to make sure the unit is in good working order and then put it in my finished basement. So while I probably don't want a full blown restoration that might cost in the $1000s, I would like to repair anything that would be needed to get it working effeciently. Of course I would change my mind if the unit turned out to be valuable, but from what I gather, those are mostly the "round top" units from pre 60 era.

I am attaching a picture. I have other pictures to post if anyone is interseted. I took these at night and they aren't the best quality. I may try to get some better ones in the day light and post those.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Russrock
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 08:12:12 am »

It definately appears to be a WC-102-1.
This model is a single flavor that could be converted to a Multi-Drink machine, a WC-102MD. Which can be seen by looking in the Westinghouse Section of the Soda Machines Section, there you find a link for the WC-102MD.

As far as the key is concerned, chances are you won't find the correct key... So, I suggest drilling it out and replacing it with a new one.

Value... Well, I'm not the most knowledgeable on newer machines (60's - present), but do know that Multi-Select or Multi-Drink models tend to be more desireable. Secondly, although not extremely large, it's size and weight may keep the value down... To actually pin down a price, I'll be VERY vague since I don't know if the machine is complete, functions properly or has any serious cosmetic problems... Between $150 - $400

With the price of 40's, 50's and older machines getting out of reach for the average collector and even new ones beginning to collect soda machines, models from the 60's have increased in popularity. With that said, people are turning to restoring these machines back to their original state and enjoying them just that same! After all, younger collectors remember these models and may not even seek to own older models...

The marquee has only three components that could be bad: the bulb, the starter (little silver canister) and the ballast. On this particular model, I'm not exactly sure how to access the bulb area... Perhaps, once you gain access to the coin door, you could look behind the coin entrance panel for two screws that will retain the plexiglass panel. Once the screws are removed, the panel can be pryed out from the bottom and then pulled down since the top will have pins to hold it in place. This removal process may be done from the side if no screws where found holding the bottom of the marquee in place. So check the side of the cabinet door as well...
Once you get to the bulb, you should be able to locate this at any local hardware store such as Home Depot or Lowes.

I highly recommend that you do not attempt to start the refrigeration system until the machine has been uprighted for some time as you stated in your post! Hopefully, you didn't let the unit run very long at all as this can cause the unit to blow seals very easily!

Good luck with your new purchase!

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 10:08:24 am »

Russrock,
I recently acquired an early 60's Westinghouse Coke machine and I took it to a local locksmith that has been in business for many years.  He read the number off the lock itself,  grabbed 2 or 3 key rings with about 50 keys on each and in 10 minutes we found the right one.  It cost me $2,  $1 per key.  Maybe I was lucky but it might be worth a shot if your other choice is to drill the old lock and replace it.
Thought I'd share,
Justin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: