SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 01:00:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete Novice  (Read 12644 times)
buschgator
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:31:57 pm »

OK folks, I just signed up and registered to be a part of this community today.  I have always been interested in having some sort of old coke machine but have never known what to get or how to go about it.  So if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.  As you could probably guess, right now is not the best time for having extra spending cash so I'm looking for one of the less expensive machines.  I know a guy that is selling the vendo 23 deluxe for $500.  After doing some research that seems a little high for this item.  What are your thoughts and suggestions?
 help
Thanks!

-Ryan

p.s. I tried to attach a picture of it.  not sure if I did this properly.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:48:01 pm »

$500.00 would be high for a standard 23, but the deluxe with embossed letters
is an excellent price considering that machine usually sells for $1000

Glen
Pat Pixley
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:53:30 pm »

Well welcome to the site, you will find a great bunch of guy's & gal's here.
 My thought's for a first machine would be a Vendo 56 or a Vendo 63
 or a Cavalier 64 ,

Part are out there for these machines plus they are a good dependable
machine smile.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to serve and what you really want
really want out of a machine or cooler Oo.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:57:08 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:12:57 pm »

Hi and welcome..
Like Pat, said, first determine what you are going to use a machine for.. if' it's just for display, yeah the little 23 is cool, but keep in mind it only holds smaller size bottles.. (you can't put your 12 oz beer bottles in it to keep em cool for your buddies.).

If your looking for something for the gameroom/garage where you can keep assorted beverages cold, then like Pat said, a vendo 56 or 63 or similiar machine would be perfect and you could find it in your price range... (Shameless plug... visit my website at www.popmachineshop.com as I have a few for sale...)

Good luck on purchasing your FIRST machine, but be warned... Soda Machines are like potatoe chips... you can't have just one... Trust us!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:21:34 pm »

Good luck on purchasing your FIRST machine, but be warned... Soda Machines are like potatoe chips... you can't have just one... Trust us!

Like Potato chips  laugh John you made me spit my coke out.  laugh
 buschgator dont forget to look for that $25.00 off coupon on Johns
site  for puchase over $2025.00

Pat biggrin

sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:25:45 pm »

Welcome aboard!! happydrinkers

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
buschgator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:57:47 am »

Well you all certainly have be helpful.  I appreciate the advice to look at those other models for the sake of being able to hold 12oz bottles (aka, beer).  I think I might make an offer on this vendo 23 deluxe just for the fact that is a pretty good price and its local so I wont have to pay for shipping.  Looks like that can be quite costly.  Also, I believe youre right.....I feel like I'm addicted and I havent even purchased a 1 machine yet!

-Ryan
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:20:51 am »

Oh, yea!  The hook is set!  Welcome to the site, like everyone has said, you will get some great advice here.  And the friendships aren't bad, either!   biggrin

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:40:23 am »

Welcome!

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
buschgator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:56:33 am »

So if this guy is offering me the machine for $500, what do you guys think I should offer him?  Should I lowball him?  What do ya think?!!?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 11:07:18 am »

One word of advice on the V-23:
Make sure it is complete as some parts for this model can be hard to locate.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
buschgator
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:35:26 pm »

OK here's my next question.  Just found another machine that might be worth looking at as my first.  It has the following info :  Mfg.Cavalier Corp. Tenn. Model:USS-8-64P

What would be a fair price for this?!?

I will attach a picture.  Again I ask of you...  help

-Ryan
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 04:48:59 pm »

laugh
I'm loving this... you haven't even bought your first machine and you've already found another one... Your Just like the rest of us.. you'll fit in well on this board!!!  very nice.

That Cavalier machine is another popular one amongst many people as well, multi vend capabilities...

In my opinion.. go for the machine that you'll enjoy and use more first... the V23 is a neat little machine, but just not practical to use... neat to add to a collection if you are set one getting all sorts of different styles...  or possibley buy to resell and make a few bucks on it?

if the offer is $500... go with $400 cash in hand (4 100 dollar bills) and I'll bet he'll bite at the site of money,,, but if you want it bad enough , have another 2 50's in the back pocket and work up slow...

Good luck!

bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 05:05:10 pm »

Yeah sounds like me! I didn't know the first thing about these things, and now I can barely park my car in the garage! It started with one. Then someone on here told me about a good deal... Then I found a vendo 39, and ofcourse I had to get a vendo 81!!!! You would think I do this full time with all the parts in my garage. My advice is only work on one at a time!!! I am swearing off any more machines until I finish the 81!!!

By the way, if you don't get the vendo 23 let me know, and Ill buy it. Damn there it goes again!!!
 biggrin biggrin

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:22:03 pm »

USS-64's are great machines if you're looking for an easy machine that will vend anything.  It will easily hold bottles up to 16oz and cans as well.

I have two, paid under $100 for both, but they also both needed some repair.  I'd think that $100-150 if they are complete and working.  Parts can be found readily.

I agree that this is a disease.  I bought my first machine last year, now the garage and basement are filled with parts and pieces of the three that also found their way here somehow!

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 07:09:09 pm »

Ryan,

Welcome to the site and just make sure that all of those proposed acquisitions are approved hopefull (or at least not vehemently opposed) by the War Department.

If that USS-8-64 is complete, working and the price is right, you should get it.  I use mine everyday and it can vend just about anything.  Of course, you will need to get some assistance from Pat Pixley on where to obtain the woodgrain contact paper so you can put the machine back to original finish!  biggrin laugh biggrin

It is often said that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Take a look at one of my first posts from about 11 months ago:

http://soda-machines.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,29/topic,7741.0/

help Since then I have averaged better than one vending machine purchase or related item per month! help

You will be hooked but it is a fun hobby and the folks on this site are always willing to help.

Enjoy the hobby!

drinking Tim drinking
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:29 pm »

USS-64's are great machines. They will vend anything and have the potiential of looking good. If you want a machine just for the garage you can leave it as is or just take it to Maaco amd have them paint it. It won't look great but for a machine to use out in the garage it would be good enough. I have built many USS-64's and paint them in the early 60's theme. Its not original but it looks great! Here is a pic of my first machine. It started out as a wood grain USS-64
buschgator
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 10:12:21 pm »

I figure that I may as well dive in head first.  Why not make offers on both of the machines I have mentioned!  Start my collection off with a bang!  I'll try to bring them both up to good working condition and looks.  If I go to look at these 2 machines (v23 deluxe, and the cav64), are there certain things I should definitely check for?  Any major red flags?  Thanks guys!

-Ryan
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:24:34 pm »

I like it... you must be a single guy... no war department approval needed... Love it.

Things to look for .. of course this depends on the level of expertise you posess with regards to "working" on the machine, you'll want to check overall condition, good body, no major dents, rusted out areas etc.. also will look for completeness, all parts are there, all shelves, coin mechs, etc.. Ask to have them running and cooling when you get there to make sure the cooling units work.. expect themto be dirty, and such,,, but you want them to be Fixable, restorable and presentable, and of course priced right...

Good luck!

bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:35:50 pm »

I like the way you think! Two at once why not. I am fortunate to have no problems with the war department. She says as long as she has room to pull her car in we are good. My garage is 28x28 so that leaves plenty of space!!! tounge tounge

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 12:57:20 am »

She says as long as she has room to pull her car in we are good.

I have to provide double space for my wife!
j/k  tounge  tounge

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
buschgator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 06:28:53 am »

That's where your'e wrong....I definitely have a war department.  I'm wondering if it will be better to ask for forgiveness than permission.  She said she would be ok with me buying a machine...we'll see what she thinks when i show up with two!  I'm going to call the guys today about each of these machines.  Wish me luck.  hopefull

-Ryan
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 08:32:41 am »

The good thing about the USS-64 is it is usable since it will vend cans and bottles and both at the same time. Just make sure that it is stocked with her favorite soda or adult beverage and also explain how much extra room will be in the refrigerator by getting all of the cans and bottles out of the refrigerator. That should help  Smiley Also explain that they are a good investment. Especially the USS-64. These usable slant shelf cavalier and Vendo machines are the next collectable machines. Whiw
buschgator
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 10:50:43 am »

Its a sad sad day.  I called to make an offer on my very first coke machine (v23 deluxe) and the gentlemen sold it last night.  The machine was only listed for 2 days on craigslist and its gone.  Damn.  Looks like I'll have to start my search all over.

-Ryan
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 10:52:54 am »

Don't beat yourself up too bad over that one... another will pop up... how bout the other one the cavalier?

buschgator
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 11:01:19 am »

I still might have a go at the cavalier.  I just really like the look of the older ones without plastic, or at least I think they are all metal.  I'm not sure what it is, but I just think they look really solid and interesting.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 02:13:24 pm »

It's a buyers market,  others will turn up. Let your friends and coworkers know, you'd be suprise at the number  of ossible leads  that turn up by simple workd of mouth.

The older machines have a cool facor, even if they can only vend one flavor small bottles, yeah, i'm partial, but I won't  give up the 81 and 56 waiting to be restored anytime soon.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 03:47:00 pm »

Yes, I agree the older machines have that certain flair... and I still favor them over a square top ,, but with the light up signs , that has a cool factor to it and if restored right, they can look cool! but of course gotta buy what you can afford... you can buy several square tops for what you might spend on a older embossed machine...

bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 05:11:59 pm »

True. I am actually thinking about turning my faygo into a Vernors machine. I love Vernors. Mine doesn't light up though.

Others will always pop up. The vendo 23 has eluded me, but one day I will get one!

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: