SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 06:54:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 56 round top restored - SOLD  (Read 16766 times)
red-hungarian
10 Cent Member

« on: December 22, 2008, 08:08:17 am »

I did not do the restoration on this but this is what I have observed. The paint is perfect, embossing was hand lettered. New door liner, new refrigeration, Bezel was rechromed. The machine is complete and works beautifully. What is the current market value?
http://www.johnda.com/vendo56/page.html I need a QUICK sale to pay some bills, what should I ask?

Thanks,

John
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:33:54 am by jsvirk » Logged

Vendo 81D
Westinghouse 10 Case Master (WD-10)
Westinghouse WH-5T
Gone: Vendo Junior, V56, CS-72, CS-96, CS-124, Pepsi V33 ,v27, v27b, 6 case/110, Westinghouse Master, Standard, Victor 3-door, Vendo 29 spin-top, I forget...
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:30:36 am »

My best guess is $2500-$3000 in today's market.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
red-hungarian
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 08:51:35 am »

My best guess is $2500-$3000 in today's market.

I just saw an unrestored marginally working one go for 2k on epay yesterday. I guess it's hit or miss. $2.5 would be blowout give away don't you think? $3k I would think would sell this pretty fast. $3.5 is a fair price. I don't see $5k happening any time soon. opinions?

Vendo 81D
Westinghouse WH-5T
Gone: Vendo Junior, V56, CS-72, CS-96, CS-124, Pepsi V33 ,v27, v27b, 6 case/110, Westinghouse Master, Standard, Victor 3-door, Vendo 29 spin-top, I forget...
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:34:14 am »

This is a hard time to sell machines. Especially restored ones. A lot of people are having the same troubles as you and toys like this are the first to go. I haven't been able to buy for a while as I am over seas but I have been watching ebay very closely. I would say that you will be lucky to get $2,800 for it today. Yes the machine might have been worth more a year ago. Also the insides were left original so was the inside of the machine done? Such as was the tub removed, the inside sand blasted and the insulation replaced? If not then it really isn't a restoration and more of a refurbishing. So the value would be quite a bit lower.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:42:52 am »

It's a given the market is  really really soft, and not just in  pop machines,
You're also dealing with the holidays,  i've already  gone into next's year fun budget .

I hate to say it (since i have a 56 waiting to be restored and flipped),  if you need cash  right away,  and toss it on Ebay,   open it to best offer, as for the $3500 you'ere hoping for, but be prepared to  get low bids, and don't lket the lowballers dicourage you. It's still a better price  than currently on Greed Bay, and   may go  fast

Just my opinion....

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:20:57 am »

Like Josh said, the insides being apparently untouched is not a good thing for you since you cannot definitively answer what exactly was done to the machine.
But, like Kilroy said, put it up on ebay with a BIN price of what you want for it with Best Offers accepted and see what you get. Unless it sells, the fees will be nominal - under $2-$3 to list it.
Good Luck!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 03:50:30 pm »

When it comes to the 56....a glass bottle door machine will sell 10 times
faster than the same machine with a solid door. It would be well worth your time
and money to convert it, or you may be real disappointed in how high the bidding gets.

Glen
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:19:08 pm »

Glen's absolutely right... Stick some glass in there...
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 07:50:56 pm »

You need a 2' coke in hand decal on the sides!!  LOL

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:13:38 pm »

And a few Sprite Boys peeking form behind a bottle, and don't forget the 10ยข  across the bottle of the door  biggrin

coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:23:03 pm »

I would stick it on ebay for $3k or best offer, get some better pics and let her fly. and im glad im not the only who loves spriteboy decals and big hands on the sides of the machines.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:38:08 pm »

Hold onto the machine for a couple of years, The value will return.

As for selling it, like everyone here is saying, it's a buyer's market. A time for the enthusiast to get that machine he has always wanted, or the speculator to pick up ten or fifteen to hoard away for that sunny day. But it isn't a time to expect top dollar for anything.
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 10:59:59 pm »

I myself beleive and many others that I have talked to, all agree that the big money machines like the $7k 81, and the $6k Cav 72 days are long gone. Machines like alot of other things like cars, trucks, boats, gas, groceries were all over inflated and it was just time before it bust and blew out of proportion. Gas prices are down, grocery prices are still on the up around here anyways, New Car and truck prices are cut in half in Little Rock, AR just to make a sale. Yes its a buyers market, but in 1999 and 2000 it was the norm on prices. Ive been hard core in this hobby wheeling and dealing playing with what I love antique soda machines. when I first got in this hobby 8 years ago you could buy V39s everyday of the week for $500-600, V81s were $1,000-1,200 and so fourth. Restored V39s were selling for $2,500-$3,000, V81s $4,500-$5,000 and that was BIG MONEY!

Ive got a buddy who has been dealing in HIGH end muscle cars you name it he has owned it from ZL1 Camaros, HEMI Cudas, to Shelby Cobras, and Superbirds.

For instance in 1999 a 1969 DZ 302 Z28 Camaro was $20k-25k for a nice #2 car
in 2000 same car $30k
in 2001 same car $35k
in 2002 same car $40k
in 2003 same car $45k
in 2004 same car $50k
in 2004 same car $55k
in 2005 same car $60k
in 2006 same car $65k
in 2007 same car $50k
in 2008 same car $35-40k
in 2009 same car ?? guess what they wont be going up?

What Happened?? BABY BOOMERS they were buying everything in sight that they remembered as a child or teenager. In the late 60s early 70s many of these kids were tearing the hell out of these cars. and always wanted that Z28, or HEMI coronet, or Shelby Mustang. They never got that car and at retiring age when their 401K and stocks were doing extremely well they went out and bought one, some 10 others 20 etc.

Back to the Coke Machines and the same for the Gas and Oil. when you were a kid in a simpilar time 1950s what do you remember?? Full Service gas stations a little bell that went ding, a attendant that checked your oil, washed your windows, and pumped your gas. Today you get a %$#@#$% that makes you prepay because of the many runoffs, a guy in a beat up toyota with subs in the rear trunk "bumping" and security cameras monitering every inch of the place, If your lucky enough you get to pay for your gas to a fellow or gal behind 2 inches of bullet proof glass.

Back in the day Cokes were a nickel and eventually went up to a dime, Cavaliers and Vendos were everywhere. the most plentiful and a bottlers workhorses V39 V44 V56 V81 V83 V110 V126 ETC as with the C51 C72 C96 etc they were everywhere and in the mid 1960s were getting dumped into holes, recycled, stuck in storage sheds, basements, barns etc. They still pop up very often you can go to any big swapmeet, gas and oil show, and coinop show and guess what you will find them for sale. Look at ebay there is not a day that doesnt go by that you cannot buy a C51 V39 or V81 they are always for sale. It was a treat to go to the 5 and dime store with your grandparents or parents and get a ice cold coke in the 1950s. Today 99% of everyones refridgeraters have 2 liters, and cans of soda. You can buy it everywhere. Everytime you go out to eat guess what the first thing they ask you is? The joy of getting that ice cold beverage is gone its everywhere its a part of life!

The Babyboomers had a huge impact on the machine market, I have never sold a restored machine to anyone under the age of 40, Ive sold a few squaretops to college kids for their party machines. I do not feel that the machine market is going to ever be as strong as it once was. If it does make a big turnaround you can tell me told you so.

If you want a investment machine look outside the box, Go buy a tough Mills 47, Cavalier 102, ICY-0 or a glasscock coin op. Go buy the Rare stuff, the stuff you cant go find on ebay everyday. a Mills 98A unrestored brought $6k in this tough market a month or so ago at auction in MD that stuff will always bring good money it will always bring in strong crowds as guess what??? Your average machine collector doesnt have one, and they are Im gonna use it the R word RARE.

Back to Gas and Oil a typical Sinclair Texaco or Mobil Globe $250-500, Now throw in a Polly, Gilmore, Pittman, Bearcat etc guess what RARE BIG $$

3 years ago a good clean Sinclair globe $400-600 Now $250-$300
3 years ago a good clean Gilmore globe $35,000 guess what $$^^^^ here I go again RARE

Did you know in 1969 that over 200,000 Camaros were built

Out of that 200,000 over 20,000 were Z28s what drove the price up on this somewhat plentiful cars Baby Boomers with $$

In 1969 There was 69 ZL1 Camaros built with the all aluminum 427 BBC It was a very expensive toy in 69 and cost over $7k to buy one when the average Camaro was $2,500.

Today that ZL1 Camaro brings in $800,000 UP and they are still bringing the money
Today that Z28 that was bringing in $60k up just a few short years ago you can buy for under $40k today.

In the late 1940s all the way up until the mid to late 1950s Vendo was building 39s over 80,000 39s were built thats a big number thats alot of 39s

In the late 1930s early 1940s Vendo was building a mechanical masterpiece the war stopped progress in 1947 they resummed a total of 251 machines were built thats a small number

If you were looking for an investment what would you buy? Something that damn near every collection, collector and dealer has or had? Or something that a small few have even seen one in the flesh? If your looking for something to use in your kitchen or den on a everyday basis a V39 is ideal!

The old saying goes Quality over Quanity would you want ten Vendo 81s or one Cavalier 102? 10 Vendo 39s or a Mills 47 or Hot Dog Kooler Grill?? Why buy 10 rusty signs when you could have one thats NOS?

The machine market was over inflated it was due at anytime to fall, it has and I feel still is, I myself feel it with alot of other people that I know.

I have lowered the prices on my parts that I sell, I have lowered the prices on my restored machines My 39 was $4500 I sold two over the spring and early summer of 08 at these prices New price $3,500 and guess what I will still be making money.

My Cavalier 72 was up for sale at $6,000, now $5,000 and I will be nearly doubling my money on it. Yes it sucks its not worth the $6k everyone has been selling them at for the last few years but where else can you take $2,500 and turn it into $5k?? and tear down a machine and let someone else do the bodywork etc buy the parts put it back together. have 30 hrs invested and double your money??

Sorry for the long Ramble, Dont go out buying common machines looking to invest, Go save your money and buy one or two good quality items. Think of it this way!

Wayne Roman Visible gas Pump or Tokheim 39 short?
Vendo 81D or Mills 47?

This is not pointed at anyone, I apoligize if I offend anyone, But it is what it is....

Price that Vendo 56 at $3k and let it slide, You will be getting good money for it. Its not a high end resto but still very nice. I would let the new owner decide if they want a glass bottle door.

Joey

Vendo 81 B, C, D
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:26:13 pm »

I'll have to agree with Joey. I've been collecting 1 thing or another for most of my life.The one thing i have learned is buy the hard to find items and resell the common stuff for a profit. Use your profit to buy the best and you'll never get hurt.
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 11:30:38 pm »

Amen brother . Very nice Joey  . I enjoyed that very much . I'm not being a smart ass when I say "Awesome!!"  I really did enjoy reading that . I just restore the machines I enjoy and would like to own . I always hated to put time and money into a machine just to sell it and know someone else will be enjoying my machine I spent so much time on . I still regret selling my first restored machine a Vendo 126 . Yes! Big and square but for me it's what I like and wanted to have in my basement . It also reminded me of getting soda from a similar machine as a kid at the barber shop with my Dad . I don't really buy machines as an investment I buy them  because its what I like and want to use on an every day bases . I also buy cheap machines here and there clean them up and get them running and resell them for a few hundred here and there . I love this hobby buy what you like sell what you don't .  biggrin

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
red-hungarian
10 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 11:33:29 pm »

I would stick it on ebay for $3k or best offer, get some better pics and let her fly. and im glad im not the only who loves spriteboy decals and big hands on the sides of the machines.

Joey
You guys are joking about the sprite boys and big hands right? Next you'll be saying go with some gawd awful pinstriping modification.

Vendo 81D
Westinghouse WH-5T
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 11:54:55 pm »

Way to put it into perspective Joey.

Peoples disposable income has vanished.  Mine has and many people I know have really cut back on spending.

Marvin
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 12:18:49 am »

the decals?.. yeah they're joking (as far as OVER doing it)
I like them right off the line look but there are a few here that like the decals...even the pin striping
just don't go crazy!
There was a guy at the Chicago show that sells the glass door skins for the 56.. he also made the racks for 44s and the inner base liner/shelf for 81s (the part that always rust out in 81s that the
 tub sits on). He also makes/ coin mech for 81s

Jim Rud? info@sodaspr.com

And Joey... well done! happydrinkers 

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 08:08:48 am »

I was kidding about the  decals,  contrary to what some restorers claim, they were not factory - the  distributors  oor merchants added them afterward.   I've seen nice machines that lose their appeal because of    too many  decals. If you like them  fine, but it's not my cup of teas.

Joey, Well said, you echo my sendiments exactly. It's still a fun hobby, and   there can stillbe monry to be made, 

JS:
 decide what the price is you are willing to accept, and offer it. The market is slow, but not completely dead,  and I guess it's a matter of finding the buyer who wis willing to accpet your price  in the time you need to unload i. they are still out htere, but not  running to the door  as they used to.

RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 09:56:14 am »

Well said Joey.

And the benefit of this price fallout is that we can all now afford this hobby of ours.

So I for one am very happy with the falling prices and I am now picking up some of those common machines I couldn't afford last year. And the great thing is there are plenty of restored and unrestored machines to choose from because of the fact that they were considered to valuable to send to the scrap pile.

And well said about finding that one excellent piece for your collection as opposed to having numerous faded and rusted out pieces. My first few years in the hobby I bought stuff I should have never even considered, but I now live by the advise you are giving to us all. I am looking for those nice pieces with minimum rust and the near perfect signs and I spend a little more then I should on them because I really enjoy seeing them in the garage when I go out to work on the vette.

Oh...By the way

Thanks for the many great threads here in this forum, I like the education that I recieve daily as I read everyone's input.
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 10:26:45 am »

Hello, All

Joey your correct . It's  really hard to justify Any amount of money to spend at this time .I allways save my extra cash Hidden inside one of my machines (Remember Protected by Wife LOL )

As OF NOW I have NEVER bought any of my  Machine to sell for profit . I can only complety restore one (Maybe) every 5 years If I don't pend it on other thing's . Maybe that why I only have 2 completed .I buy most in good shape which means to me They work & cool & compleat . And Look pretty good .

If I was Ever to sell them I'd try manly other collectors First . I would'nt ask  more then $50- $100 more then what I paid for it Or even cost (As some People Know !! I have even given Many Parts away )  Just to keep the hobbie going . Mainly to cover Gas Cost .

I BUY because I LIKE them !!! Did I need a Delf 2 drop Vendor Huh? NO !!! But how many people owen one Huh??? Have'nt heard of anyone but Me . I really not it to what most people have like 44s-56s-72s-96.39s 81s
I like like the C-55-D&E Galaxie Dispencers & Others Some full size coolers.And Queen Anns - V-23 C-27 wierd ones .

One reason is because there Cost .. I know my crap is not mint but I'v never paid as much for them as i see some of the others sell for even unrestored I saw a 72 at Aucion needing complet restore NOT working missing a couple shelfs & coin mech . $1350 .I almost busted a gut . But That just me  smile  Maybe thats Nomral Huh??

I try not to be Greddy & I try to be Honest & Fair . I love collecting  blush But I want the Hobbie to go on . But Also I beleive you should be paid for you efforts !

Could I ever buy a complet Restored Machine Yea Some Time maybe !! I would hope if I bought from a Friend HE would not Screw me for 2 -3 Grand more then he had in it .

Again I do it because I LOVE it !!!  It's Fun !! And the People Here & I meet ARE Grrreat !!!

Just My 2 Cents                                        Leonard  

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 10:41:57 am »

FOR SALE: 10 - 81's , 4-39's, 6-Sliders... and others... Gotta sell them before I lose my A**...

biggrin biggrin

I agree with that too joey, don't like it but guess its' the way it's going...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:26 pm »

Hold it right there guys..........the sky is not falling!

This economic mess is just a correction! Our government officials fell asleep
at the wheel, and easy borrowing allowed $250,000 homes to get bid up to $500,000
within 5 years.
         Artificial prices just made people feel richer than they really should have felt.
These people are now starting to come down out of the clouds and are facing reality.
Just like a kid who's butt is stinging from a spanking.........soon the pain will receed
and he will forget all about it, but will grow up wiser.
          Did the price of soda machines double in those 5 years? No, and they won't
take the same hit. People are just hanging on to their money a little longer. Soon
this will all become like a bad dream and life will go on as before.
           No need to drop prices unless you have to sell now. Fewer machines available
makes them scarce and the price goes up.........like the Camero.
           I have been selling soda machines for 15 years, and rarely ever sell to collectors.
People who buy are well off and not affected by current events. They are all offered
square corner machines at $600.00 but usually choose round corner Vendo 81"s at $6000.00.

This is a great country and things will return to normal as soon as consumer confidence is restored.  What I'm trying to say is "don't give away the farm folks".

Glen
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 02:16:44 pm »

easy borrowing allowed $250,000 homes to get bid up to $500,000 within 5 years.
         Artificial prices just made people feel richer than they really should have felt.

You said it artificial prices on homes also reflect on overpriced cars, trucks, boats and yes soda machines, gas pumps and advertising signs.

You go buy a $400,000 house, you can only really afford a $250,000 house

You go buy a $60,000 69 Z28 Camaro, You could only really afford a base model with a 327 for $15-20,000

You go buy a $7,000 Vendo 81 thats been restored, You only really needed the $2,000 very nice original

I can go on....

These people are now starting to come down out of the clouds and are facing reality.
Just like a kid who's butt is stinging from a spanking.........soon the pain will receed
and he will forget all about it, but will grow up wiser.

Yes their interest rates that were not fixed but adjustable kicked them in the butt, the $1,500 house paymant is now $4,500 and up!!!

Did the price of soda machines double in those 5 years? No, and they won't
take the same hit.

in 2002 a restored 81 was bringing on average $4,500, 2006 the same machine $7,000 not doubling but yes inflated

People are just hanging on to their money a little longer. Soon
this will all become like a bad dream and life will go on as before.
           No need to drop prices unless you have to sell now.

Most dealers are there to sell, there to pay their bills, expenses, support their families etc. Individuals with the one or two machines may be just looking to sell to have some fun money or pay off a bill or two

Fewer machines available
makes them scarce and the price goes up.........like the Camero.

There arent fewer, but just the same amount as before last year a unrestored Vendo 81 was bring anywhere from $1,500-$1850 on ebay, over the last year that price has fallen to just barely breaking a $1,000 a machine. People see this and therefore the reason they arent being listed.

I have been selling soda machines for 15 years, and rarely ever sell to collectors.
People who buy are well off and not affected by current events. They are all offered
square corner machines at $600.00 but usually choose round corner Vendo 81"s at $6000.00.

Ive been playing with them for 8 going on 9 years, ive got a buddy who has been dealing with them for over 18. Im just a nobody in this hobby, I will build a few machines a year, stick one or two back for myself, when one sells I will build another etc. My buddy has been doing over 70 restorations a year, has established himself, and is well known. He never sold to collectors either, he sold to people who remembered the machine at Grandpas gas station, Did a restoration from a fellow who found it in their fathers barn etc etc etc. He has a huge inventory of everything from Ideal sliders, Vendo roundtops, Cavalier roundtops, picnic coolers, gas pumps, squaretops, candy machines etc etc etc etc. He is down to one last restoration and no work afterwards and doesnt know whats going to happen. His prices have not come down, he sold a generic Ideal 55 slider done up in pepsi missing the rack and coin mech for $4,500 inflated yes! whats that machine really worth? So for in order to keep the operation going what does he need to do? Advertise guess what he has spent thousands on advertising. We plan on hitting alot of shows this comming season, My prices have lowered last month I was getting no interest, Just this last week my phone has been ringing off the hook!

This is a great country and things will return to normal as soon as consumer confidence is restored.  What I'm trying to say is "don't give away the farm folks".

Amen to that Glen, But dont give away the farm, like I said before I have roughly $2,500 in the overall purchase and restoration of my Cavalier 72. Market in price in my area for the last year or so has been $6,000. My Buddy sold dozens of 72s around $5,500-$6,000 he has one in inventory right now for $6,000, and Myself has one for $6,000. Guess what no interest. I lowered the price down to $5,000 im now getting peoples interest. Thats still doubling your money!!! The market has been and was overinflated take it as it was make some $$ and move on.

I also said before you can point and laugh if im wrong but this is what I myself and several other people feel what has happened and whats going to happen in the near future!

Joey

Vendo 81 B, C, D
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
red-hungarian
10 Cent Member

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 02:31:43 pm »

There are fewer machines every year, of course. Rust still doing its thing, people parting them out. junking them etc..

Prices will take a hit in a down economy, of course, as is everything. Value of restored machines are obviously down compared to its peak. Will they regain their value to previous levels? Again, of course, but when?

Morale of the story. No need to panic. these are luxury items. When good times come rolling back around again, so will the prices. Until then, buy and hold.

It's a hobby, not a living (for most of us anyway).

Cheers!

John

Vendo 81D
Westinghouse WH-5T
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 03:08:37 pm »

I'm with you John   drinking

I love collecting !!! It's one of MY hobbies !!! I don't have to make money on it to survive on . 
                                                       Leonard

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 04:27:13 pm »

I agree with the last statements, but the cost of some items will fall as those who desire them pass on. But those same items will end up in some collection some where, we just can not be sure of the exact price. Therefore, I will cintinue to buy nice original machines as well as parts machines. But I will do this more for the enjoyment they bring and the friends I meet then for the profit that they may or may not bring with them.
red-hungarian
10 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »

I agree with the last statements, but the cost of some items will fall as those who desire them pass on....

I was born in the early 60s after round tops went out of production. I prefer the machines from the 40s and 50s. The quality and style appeals to me. I imagine future collectors will be drawn in by the same things that drew me in.

How many here are actually baby boomers, how many are younger? Just curious. Most the people I know into this are around my age or even younger.

Vendo 81D
Westinghouse WH-5T
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 05:32:39 pm »

I am in the same boat. Born in the mid sixties, grew up watching re-runs of the Angy Griffith show and I love the stuff from the Forties and fifties the most as I aviod the seventies all together.
I just returned from the super-market and I have noticed over the past year or so magizines catering to a younger generation that is now restoring and driving old retro rods. I think those guys will eventually start picking up on the other things Americana such as soda and gasoline signs as well as the machines to decorate their garages and shops.
I have also noticed that certain things like our passion (Soda Machines), does not really ever die out. But it does go in cycles. I can now buy a model T where as I can't really afford a 69 Camaro. But ten to fifteen years ago it was the oppisite.

I believe we will survive, yet I also believe we will reap the benefits of a price corrected market. And I hope to continue paying nineteen, ninety-two prices for soda machines and I hope the prices of signs also follows.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 08:40:27 pm »

Born 1961 here. Don't recall ever seeing a RT growing up. Cup vendors still at the movie theaters though.
Creighton
red-hungarian
10 Cent Member

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 09:26:13 pm »

Listed in the swap area for 3,200 Spread the word!

Vendo 81D
Westinghouse WH-5T
red-hungarian
10 Cent Member

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:39 pm »

Listed in the swap area for 3,200 Spread the word!
It's on ebay at $3,300 I'll sell it here for $2,650 cash and carry. Best I can do.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:33:35 am by jsvirk » Logged

Vendo 81D
Westinghouse WH-5T
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: