SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 05:06:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General cost restoring a machine on your own.  (Read 9077 times)
rr82
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:13:53 am »

I have been getting quotes from people about restoring my vendo 81b and thought to myself, I can take photos document, disassemble and reassemble it myself. I have a really good autobody man thats kinda like family that restores antique cars, newer cars he is the owner of a fullblown autobody shop. One of, if not the best in town that is interested in doing this for me and has done one and only one in the past. Powder coat, bead blast, paint the whole deal.$1000.00. To get the tub, shelving, stack the refrigeration system overhauled, replating, rechrome I would need to send this off to someone else. How would you recommend doing the tub, stack and shelving? Is their a restoration book you guys recommend? To be honest with you I would kinda like to do this and have something to do with the restoration process, it would mean more to me after it was done.  Also, I assume it will save me some money also. To disassemble and reassemble it myself and sending the coin mech and Refrigeration system off and alot of the other parts off for replating ect... Does this even save you that much money when its all said and done? This isnt really about just saving money its also about being a part of the process, but saving money is also a good thing! lol I do have one guy in mind that if I dont do this on my own I will have him do the entire restoration. It appears to me that most of the guys that do restorations are only the middle man and send most of the stuff off to get done. So why cant I do that, is my thinking. Would anyone be interested in displaying a list of companies that you all trust in sending your coin mech, refridgeration, tub, shelving, rechrome, zinc ect.. to?   What is your thought? Thanks guys, you are all very helpful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:02:11 am by rr82 » Logged
FRESNO MAN
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:54:14 am »

Welcome!
Seems as though you've thought it all out pretty well and have come to well reasoned conclusions. I too was at this point with two machines and opted to be part of the process (VMC 3D-33 & VMC V110 generic to Orange Crush). In my opinion, if you have some aptitude and some support (your connections and this board), you should be able to handle it with little to no problem. I'm concurrently restoring my machines and have learned as I go by getting my hands dirty, and probably most of all; reading this discussion board. Also, no amount of money could ever equal the amount of satisfaction I'm getting from doing these myself (with advice). I must also mention that I have an advantage of living in Fresno, where the Vendolator and later one of the Vendo factories was located...and where The Soda Jerk, Steve lives (http://thesodajerkworks.com/) . He has replacement parts, does compressor work and all the rest. There is also FunTronics (http://www.fun-tronicsllc.com/store.php) from where I have have purchased several items and am planning on purchasing more. I've also used Soda Springs (http://www.sodaspr.com/vmc.html). I'm sure any of these folks will be glad to answer you queries. Go for it!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:17:54 am »

It was nice to talk with you yesterday to discuss your machine and what it would take to restore it.. but by all means, if you feel your up to it , doing it yourself is very rewarding as long as you have some general understanding of basic mechanics and how things come apart and go back together. Any of us who do restorations, all just started with one machine and learned from doing it.. Granted my first one took about 9 months and alot of trial and error as discussion boards where not available then.  If you have a good digital camera, a good body/ paint guy near you, your half way there. As far as sending out parts for restoration, that is where it can get risky, for example when sending in parts for a coin mech or bottle stack, there are ALOT of small parts that need plating and you want to make sure you have a plating company that you can trust not too lose any of the parts.. it's a nitemare trying to reassemble  a bottle stack and realize your missing a linkage or a small part of a coin mech? As far as the coin mech, send it out to Tom on this board (collecture) he does the best job on restoring these at a fair price, As far as powder coating, research if you have someone near by, and visit there shop and explain to them what you need done.. As far as compressor work,, if it 's running and cooling, you can do alot your self, change fan motors, wiring harness, blast it , paint it and put new parts on and your good, if it's not cooling then finding a local refridg tech is helpfull or you can alway send it off to Global, but it will cost some money..
The rest is up to you.. take lots of pictures, put parts in baggys so you can eiher reuse or get new replacments (like screws, to make sure you have the right sizes) order your parts from one of the great restoration companies like Funtronics, and once all the parts are painted, plated, chromed, etc.. reassemble in the reverse order you took it apart.  Give me a call with any other questions.. and of course my services are available if you get stuck!
Good luck and more importantly have fun!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:15:04 pm »

The 2 posts above pretty well summed it up. I've had soooo many machines brought to me in boxes as the home owner had full intentions of doing the resto and then gave up either because they got in over their heads, not enough time, not enough patience or had lost parts after dis-assembling. When these units are taken apart, you will need a lot of room for all the parts to be organised as well.
 On another note: there is no greater satisfaction than completing it and say "I did that".  That's why I do it.

Good luck to you on your decision and enjoy the 81

Always buying "off brand" machines and ice chests
Constant buyer of vmc 33-3D's & Jacobs 26
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 01:23:50 pm »

I think you should forget about all the aggravation this machine will give you and just sell it to me for $500.00.  You'd make $100.00. biggrin

Digital camera.
Baggies
Basic tools.
Space
Time
Have at it.

And mostly, Enjoy!!

A lot of work and I'm sure a few head aches, but when it is finished and it looks great and works great, you will feel great!!

O.K. $550.00, that's my final offer. tounge

A lot of stuff.
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 01:51:47 pm »

Warning!!!
If you do restore this one yourself, be warned that they will multiply like rabbits.  laugh Once you do your first one you can't stop. It is a lot of work, but it sure is nice to l@@k at it and say that you done it. Also if you decide to do it, I also would be glad to give you advise. Just be sure to post pictures here. We love to see pictures.  happydrinkers

Rod
Fun-Tronics
cdc1960
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 01:59:55 pm »

all great posts... I would only add that you should photograph everything with a digital before, during and after you take it apart, bag all fasteneners with the various small parts, (including the ones that you'll break), tape the fastener bags to the larger pieces, place all the bags and the larger pieces of each subassembly in it's own box... sounds anal, but this is the only way you'll keep stuff straight and unlost during the inevitable week or month that you don't work on the machine due to other more pressing things... label every bag with a permanent marker, describing as best you can where the fasteners went... if there isn't enough room on the bag, write it down on a piece of paper, and put the paper in the bag...  one last suggestion... don't be afraid to do something over if you don't like the result... any good restoration is the sum of many small restorations that are done well.. if you don't like the look of something, it's alsways easier to redo it right before you move on, rather than tearing the machine (or car, or whatever else it is that you are restoring) apart to get at the piece that you are eventually unhappy with... good luck, and post lots of pictures... I've found that the group here is very welcoming, and provide lots of great advice... here's the one I'm presently doing, with lots of advice from here, and parts from FunTronics and Soda Springs..

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,10452.0.html

Chris  

Vendo 44, 63
Cornelius SVM48E3, Cornelius Diplomat
AMI D80, G120
Gotlieb Genie
Bennett 956
Eco 240
Theatre Popcorn machine
Watling Horoscope Penny Scale
gum machines, parking meter, taxi meter, pay phone, etc...
it's getting out of hand..
VMC 81
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:06 pm »

or buy a second machine and use that as a guide when putting the first machine back together.

VMC 81 Pepsi
VMC 27 7Up on a pipe stand
Vendo 56
Seeburg VL 200
AMI 200
Pat Pixley
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 03:08:47 pm »

I've done a post on project Vendo V90 and It has gone over the same things that every one else has told you.
It still is out there under Restorations under General ,  And John is Dead on for the Coin mech  Tom does good work .
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 07:32:26 am »

Beware! restoring classic soda machines can be addictive.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: