SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 01:58:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V39 Evaporator Motor Issues  (Read 6799 times)
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« on: July 13, 2012, 07:58:14 pm »

Hi! I hope someone can help get a little farther with debugging my Restored V39. The machine has been running great for a couple of years and then we noticed one day that it was not cooling.

Unplugged it and when I plugged it in again I could see that the condensor fan was running and heard the compressor kick in. Evaporator motor was not running.  It turned out to be the original evap motor and it was seized up tight. No problem- ordered a new one from the nice folks at Funtronics. Installed it and powered up... everything kicked in- Compressor, condensor motor and evapoator motor. But.. the evaporator motor never seemed to turn off.

I turned the thermonstat to the "off" position and the Evap motor still never turned off. The machine still had the original thermostat so back to Funtronics- Ordered a new thermostat and installed it today.

Now- if I set the new thermostat to a number value (1-9) the the compressor and condensor motor kick in (as they should) and the evaporator motor runs. I didn't let it run long enough to see if it ever shut off.

When I turn the thermostat to "Off," The evaporator motor still runs constantly. Same as before I replaced the thermostat.

I sure that before I was started having these problems that the evaporator motor did shut off at times. Right??? 

Thanks for your help!

B

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »

The evaporator motor runs 24/7/365 on a V-39 unless you have an earlier model with the door switch that turns it off when you open the main door.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:53:23 pm »

Thanks for your reply!

Really? They run even when the thermostat is turned to the "Off" position???

If the answer is yes, then I think this means I now have a new thormstat that I didn't need...

Do evaporator motors burn out a lot becuase they are always running?

Is this (evap running all the time) the case for for all Vendo's that have both a condersor motor and an evaporator motor? I have a V81 in line next then a V110...

B.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:03:34 pm »

Yes, it runs even when you turn the thermostat to "Off".  

Not just Vendos, the 99-% majority ( bad political pun...sorry!  tounge) of all soda machines have evaporator fans that run all of the time, some modern soda coolers have electronically controller evap' motors that slow down or stop to save energy along with LED door lighting, etc. but these "Fred-Flintstone" machines have full time evaporator fan motors.  they do take a beating for it too, but I've seen motors on 60 year old machines that don't miss a beat ( until you try to clean them that is)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:40:58 pm by johnieG » Logged

11 is louder than 10...
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:21:00 pm »

Thanks! I appreciate your help.  Have a nice evening.

B.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:22:47 pm »

I've noticed that condenser motors usually fail long before evaporator motors, could this be due to constant stopping and starting?

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:45:08 pm »

That & mostly the hotter environment they run in. heat is the killer of most electric motors, it cooks the oil & kills the bearings & destroys the insulation of the windings.

11 is louder than 10...
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:52:53 pm »

Probably easier on a motor to just keep running...

Good point abou the heat- hotter near the compressor I would guess.

This machine had originals of both motors. Maybe I'll be replacing the condensor motor next.

There must be some heat sensor that shut the whole thing down when the evaporator motor died. Is that the case for the condensor motor in these two motor systems? Will everything shut down to prevent heat damage if the condensor motor locks up? If not, I may just be proactive and replace the condensor motor now.

In the older version of the V39 that has only one motor- it must start and stop?

B.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:28:22 pm »

Probably easier on a motor to just keep running...

Good point abou the heat- hotter near the compressor I would guess.

This machine had originals of both motors. Maybe I'll be replacing the condensor motor next.

There must be some heat sensor that shut the whole thing down when the evaporator motor died. Is that the case for the condensor motor in these two motor systems? Will everything shut down to prevent heat damage if the condensor motor locks up? If not, I may just be proactive and replace the condensor motor now.

In the older version of the V39 that has only one motor- it must start and stop?

B.

Nope, it too runs all the time & as mentioned before they sometimes had door-switches to stop the fsn to prevent hands from encountering the exposed fan blades, Note: early V39's just didn't have a condenser fan, they have a convection cooled condensing coil.

11 is louder than 10...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: