SMC Discussion Areas
May 13, 2024, 01:47:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 460 miles later...  (Read 11402 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 10:18:56 am »

Very nice machine. Care to shae on your preference on what kind of wax / polish you use

I have an old car so I have a lot of automotive waxes, polishes, compounds, etc. in my arsenal.  Most of my car-care stuff is Meguiar's - no special reason, just like their products.  They work well, and well... darn it they smell nice.   blush 
While I waited for my order of Flitz to arrive from eBay I started cleaning this up with Meguiar's Scratch-X product which was ineffective.  Next I moved on to the Mequiar's  Polishing Compound which was maybe slightly better.  Both products have worked great on my car, but given the amount of caked on grime on the 44, they were simply not aggressive enough for this job.   When the Flitz arrived, I put that on a polishing disc on the DA attachment for my drill and went to town.  The results are slow to develop, but satisfying in the end.  You do need to be careful with it, especially over the edges of embossing.  I managed to thin the red paint quite a bit on the embossed Coca Cola script - trying to reach the grime inside the lettering.
When the polishing is done I may run a clay-bar over it just to see if that does anything useful.  I doubt it will do much after using a fairly aggressive polish like Flitz.  When it is all done being cleaned, I will probably hand wax it with some of the Mequiar's liquid cleaner-wax I have on the shelf just to protect and shine it up a little.  It will be indoors and it isn't a fully restored show machine, so I don't think I need to use the gold-glass paste wax I use on my Spitfire.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 01:47:49 pm »

I guess I should add - this is the 'flavor' of Flitz that I used.  There are a few different versions available.  It's not cheap, but it sure does work well.  I've probably used way more than necessary, this tube should easily do several machines - depending on the grime level.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281535094248

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Gmari2
5 Cent Member

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 09:00:52 pm »

Those are great miles.  Nice find.  Post 'after' pics.
George

George M
Glen Rock, NJ
Seeburg G.    Shryver
Seeburg 147
Rowe/AMI CD Juke
Mills FOK Slot
Vendo Coin Changer w/ Empty Window
Gottlieb Card Whiz Pinball
Vendo 39 Coke 
VMC 33 & VMC-D Coke Machines
Glascock Junior Cooler  cavalier 27 -7up