SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 11:19:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transporting a machine  (Read 16953 times)
obs48167

« on: January 04, 2009, 08:49:21 am »

HELP 
I'm new to SMC , great site, Looking at my first machine, have done Jukebox and now want to try a soda machine. I have a question, not sure where to look for answer.

What is the best way of moving a machine, standing up or can you lay it flat. I have a ways to transport it.

I have heard that once you lay if flat you need to let it stand for at lest 24 hours so oil can drain back down in to compressor.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:27:57 am by johnieG » Logged

vendo -90

Seeburg M100B
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:15:36 am »

Welcome to the site!  happydrinkers Warning--this is an addicting hobby!  This is a great group of collectors who will help you with just about any SMC problem you can throw at them.

Unless you have a truck where you can transport a machine upright you are left with transporting the machine flat on its back.  I have moved all of my machines by laying them flat in the back of my Dodge Magnum or my wife's mini-van.  Be careful when loading not to put a crease down the back of the cabinet from the door latch.  veryangry I usually pad the bumper and latch with several moving blankets.  Then I lay 3 foot sections of 2" PVC pip across the back of the car.  When the machine gets on the PVC it will roll right in.  Makes it very easy to unload as well just remember to remove the PVC during transport or the machine will be moving all over the back of the car!  biggrin  You might want to pick up a four wheel dolly to put the machine on when you get it to your garage, etc.  They are cheap at Tractor Supply Company or similar stores and they make moving the machine around much easier when you don't have any help around.

You will want to let the machine stand upright for at least 24 hours to make sure that the oil drains back down into the compressor.  I usually wait 48 hours just to be safe.  All of my machines have fired right up with no problems after transport.

Godd luck finding your first machine.  Remember to report back with pictures!

Tim   drinking
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 06:18:51 pm »

Welcome to the hobby.  Yep, all of mine have been transported on their back.  Do you know what kind of machine you are going to be looking for?

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 07:14:53 pm »

Unless you have a large panel truck or a tall enclosed trailer, transporting a machine upright is extremely hazardous to the health and well being of the machine as well as to your auto insurance rates. I too always transport machines by laying them on their back, and waiting at least twenty-four hours after setting up the machine before plugging it in. I haven't had an issue yet.
  I am fortunate though, I have a full size pick-up truck. I have know idea how you guys get by in our hobby without one.

I recommend that you buy a few furniture pads. They are available at most tool stores and they are cheap at $10.00 each, well worth the price when you consider how much they protect the machine from any additional damage that may occur during movement. I bought ten or so and use tham constantly.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:21:15 pm »

If possible, have the machine more towards the passenger side of the vehicle.  I had a bowler slide up and pin me up against the steering wheel once while breaking suddenly.  Lucky for me no crash happened.  I had to pull over and reposition the machine.  Now I use a rope and tie the machine down to where my seats would attatch to the floor of my mini van.  I have to remove both seats for the machines to fit.

Also, as previously stated.  Watch out for that rear door lock.  I have one machine that I bought with that added crease.  I new right away that the guy never padded his before loading. oops

A lot of stuff.
Pat Pixley
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:04:26 pm »

I be honest I've done both , but upright in the back of my truck 3 machine
(Vernors ,O.Crush& Hunters )and took them Down to Battlecreek  for pinball at the
zoo and back home again , JohnieG did it also  And I will tell you I wont do that again oops.

The Rest of the time it's  goes right on their backs,  and I just started using
two 2" wood dows to make it a little easier to roll in the truck  and it work .

myself I like doing the 24 hr rule just to be safe .
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:56:55 am by Pat Pixley » Logged
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 11:25:35 pm »

If possible, have the machine more towards the passenger side of the vehicle.  I had a bowler slide up and pin me up against the steering wheel once while breaking suddenly.  Lucky for me no crash happened.  I had to pull over and reposition the machine.  Now I use a rope and tie the machine down to where my seats would attatch to the floor of my mini van.  I have to remove both seats for the machines to fit.

Also, as previously stated.  Watch out for that rear door lock.  I have one machine that I bought with that added crease.  I new right away that the guy never padded his before loading. oops

I put a crease in the back of my Pepsi 81 when I unloaded it in the back of my Expedition.  I was by myself and realised as soon as I pulled it out what had happened. 

My brother in law went with me to pick up the first machine I ever put in the back of the SUV.  I told him if we had a wreck I could just see the headlines.  "Man Killed by Coke Machine!!"

Marvin
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:01:51 am »

When taking a V-80 machine out of my Tahoe, I went to let the bottom down prematurely and the top caught the roof of the vehicle.
Needless to say I have matching dents 3/4 up on each side of the back!  darn

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 07:22:06 am »

My brother in law went with me to pick up the first machine I ever put in the back of the SUV.  I told him if we had a wreck I could just see the headlines.  "Man Killed by Coke Machine!!"

Marvin

biggrin I had one of my Stoners slide up on me like that one time.  Luckily, it did not pin me like a pop machine would have but the headline:  "Stoner cause car wreck!"  laugh Cool

sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 01:26:49 pm »

Welcome aboard. All you have to do is remove your passenger seat and insert machine. LOL

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 01:27:47 pm »

Glen,
I still crack up everytime I think about this. biggrin

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 02:31:43 pm »

I have to laugh about that picture too!  biggrin What kind of car is that?  Even with no front seat in the car I still don't see how you got that machine in there!

This was my most difficult move?  Not nearly as good as Glen's but still a puzzler.  It went into the van standing up but I'll be damned if I could get it back out that way!?!?!?  oops Had to lay it on its back to get it out.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 02:33:30 pm »

Love this one!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 09:49:14 pm »

Glen and I had to use a giant shoe horn to get the 72 into his tbird.

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 07:04:28 am »

I love posts like this, so inspirational!  biggrin

Brian
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 08:52:39 am »

I wish I had a picture to share.
Travelling back from my mother's house in Dallas one time in my 97 Chevy Tahoe - my wife and I had our (then) 2-year-old son who was in his carseat in the backseat, so I had the 60 part of the 60/40 split seat down and his car seat on the 40 part. We had luggage, 4-5 cases of Dublin DP, a SelectiVend S-48, Cavalier C-33 and a Cavalier C-27. I am sure there were some other odds and ends stuffed in there too. That thing was jam packed, but everything and everybody made the 16 hour drive safely.
I don't think I could say or do anything to get the wife to do that again though.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 06:39:28 pm »

I can only imagine the damage done to your Tahoe by all of that heavy cargo being put in then pulled out later.

You gotta hava, gotta needa  truck.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: