SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 12:05:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help identify  (Read 4250 times)
« on: June 13, 2003, 01:40:16 am »

I recently looked at a machine that a guy has out in his barn that is just wasting away. All I can tell you at this point is that it is a 7UP machine with a spring door and the bottles lay on their side. I know, I know this could be a number of different machines. This one however had a water fountain on the side of it? I don't know the manufacturer or the model. I couldn’t get to close because there was a "Very" large wasp nest above it. Not sure if it works at all but, I saw very little rust just allot of fading. He said he would take 100.00 for it but I don't know how much it will cost me to refinish it. Is it worth it? I was going to offer him 75 and go from there. Any help is greatly appreciated
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 07:33:26 am »

I think you should attempt to get a better look before you start haggling on a price... Hopefully it's unlocked and you get inside to see if anything is missing. If it's locked, put your hand inside each bottle opening and see if there's a shelf for each vending slot at the minimum...

$100 or even $75 doesn't sound like a lot, but if you have to track down parts, this could be time consuming and/or expensive depending on what may or may not be missing...

For us to assist you, how about a few questions:
Does it have a glass door on the left or right to remove the bottles?
Does it look like the 7-Up sign lights up?
Are the top corners square or rounded?
Could you tell if it has a coin slot?

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 02:28:48 am »

First yes it has a glass door on the left side if you are facing the machine. Yes the 7UP sign lights up. The sign is on the right side if you are facing the machine. It appears that all the rack hardware is in place and intact. Also it is a square box and yes it has a coin mechanism. Parts aren't really a problem my next door neighbor owns Dr. Pepper here where I live and they keep parts from all their old machines. The water fountain is on the left side of the machine if you are facing it. Any ideas?
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 03:34:03 pm »

Without actually seeing the machine, it's difficult to say what model you have... Get a photo posted...
But getting back to your original question, I would offer $75 and if he accepts, great; if not, go back to his original price of $100... Which could still be a good price provided the cabinet is pretty decent shape; especially since you said parts aren't a problem.
As far as worth restoring, well only you can answer that one... This will depend on the level of "restoration" you want(I use that word loosely). An exterior paint job can be inexpensive while a complete disassembly with replating, rewiring, coin mech restoration, paint/body work etc, etc... can become time consuming and a little expensive depending on what you can or cannot do yourself.
And lastly, how much do you like the machine...? This will dictate whether you want to invest any time or money.

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 12:14:36 am »

Jim, you are absolutly right. As far as price goes it's about what's it worth to me. This isn't my fist machine I have two others in my shop. I've just never seen one like this with the water fountain attachment. I'm gonna go back and offer him fifty and see if he counters at 75 and I'll bite at that. I really enjoy just restoring the old machines more than anything else. My plan for this one is to restore it to original condition and then hopefully trade it for something else like a pinball machine or a pool table. Thanks for all the help and as soon as I get a chance i'l get you some pics posted.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 10:38:01 am »

What Jim is saying is the initial cost of a machine is only a fraction of the cost of restoring it!
      If you spend $1000.00 plus 40 hours of your time to restore this "offbrand" machine, how much do you think the market will pay you for it?
      If anything, convert it to  a Coca Cola theme for a much larger consumer preference, but you still might not recieve much return on investment. The water fountain is add-on and will actually decrease desirability.
      You should still buy it, beacuse if you have 2 more machines, the parts will come in handy. Your neighbor at the Dr. Pepper plant may not have all the parts for old glass-door machines.
      Lastly, we like to see your enthusiasm about doing a complete restoration, as this is our hobby too, but encourage you start with an older more desirable model, you will be glad you did!
                                                                     Glen

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: