SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 03:41:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Craigslist Like eBay  (Read 16597 times)
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 08:56:14 am »

As I said in my post earlier I got the impression this was an intentional tactic all along.  He included in a few places (his reply to all and I believe in his updated craigslist ads) about all the other cool stuff laying around.  I put some clues together and in my mind came to the conclusion this guy is trying to stir up some excitement to get people to come buy stuff from him.  Mind you I have zero proof of this, just my gut feeling.

As far as sellers go, I never get upset when they ask a fair price, if I really want the item I pay it, if I don't I walk away...and I too have offered more money to some sellers depending on the situation and I am always willing to help give advice to some, again, depending on who they are and if I find them to be nice...this guy with the pump...I'm going with my gut, he's playing games.
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 09:55:29 am »

Posting on CL is an interesting process.  I have placed items on there that i wanted to get rid of where I guessed at the value.  As noted by a couple of the posts here, when the phone rings off the hook and the emails explode, I probably priced it too low.  I usually sell the item anyway but I am talking about househokd items and not collectibles.  Also, I am not selling these items out of necessity either.  Not eating cat food yet!

When buying, if I see something that is underpriced, I try to jump on it.  If I get it, I get it but I don't lose any sleep over it if I miss out.  I have from time to time offered more than the asking price to be fair to the seller and secure the item.  I assess the situation before I try to haggle someone down on their price in most cases.  If I am getting a reasonable price and it looks like the seller really needs the money, I am going to pay full asking and move on.  One of my Stoner Theaters is a good example.  They had it priced reasonably but I probably could have talked them down quite a bit; however, it was a mother and daughter selling off their recently deceased husband/father's collection.  I just paid asking for the machine and then I helped them research the value of the rest of the signs, etc. so they did not end up giving them away or being taken advantage of by a dealer.  Would I do that for someone who is a dealer, probably not.  It just depends on the situation.  In most cases I am not usually buying with the intention of flipping though.

While I don't agree with this sellers use of Craigslist--it would be better to pull the ad and do your research once you realize you are underpriced and repost when you decide on the new price or clean the item up, put it on Ebay and let the chips fall where they may--I can't fault him for wanting to get the most out of his item.  I don't see Tim's post as an angry one, rather he is having a little fun calling us all out for something we are all guilty of from time to time.  As buyers--We joke when somebody prices something too high and complain when somebody beats us to something that is priced too low or when the price changes because the seller got a call from somebody else who told him the item was worth far more when we knew it was way under-priced.  Conversely as sellers, we are bothered when somebody tells us our price is too high or tries to "insult" us with a lowball offer because we want max dollars.  Both sides are part of this game and Tim is just having a little fun pointing something out that we all know in our minds to be true.

Keep Calm and Collect On!

Tim

Well said Tim...I agree 100% (except I have been known to flip an item or two...or 10!)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:57:07 am by Slider-Bob » Logged

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 11:17:25 am »

So I just ran across this sellers updated Craigslist ad with more pictures. I am now convinced this seller may just be totally clueless.  The new pictures show the base on this thing is shot, most of it is missing which explains why it is laying down. As far as the other door goes, it is hard to tell if it is gone or just rotten.  Either way I now think his original asking price is more in line than his supposed highest bid
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 09:38:57 pm »

yea that's what I was getting at in my earlier post this thing is a rusted out piece of crap.

Greg
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 10:24:56 pm »

Thank you all for your feedback on this.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 09:21:08 am »

yea that's what I was getting at in my earlier post this thing is a rusted out piece of crap.

I agree cola but unfortunately someone who thinks they are on a TV show will probably go there and overpay for it where I think most of us would rather see this seller get stuck with it
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 04:36:17 pm »

high bid is now at $1000 with two others over $750.  Who are these buyers?  I have some stuff I'd love to sell them.  Is anybody falling for this?  Who would let this guy continue to drive the price up?
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 04:49:38 pm »

Ive been watching this.. Ive found this interesting in a strange way..  Ive also been watching a popcorn machine on ebay that the price has gone up and then gone down then back up again then down again .. I really don't know whats going on there ha ha.. It seems everything I want to bid on or buy always has something strange going on with it.. just my luck! glare
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 05:20:57 pm »

high bid is now at $1000 with two others over $750.  Who are these buyers?  I have some stuff I'd love to sell them.  Is anybody falling for this?  Who would let this guy continue to drive the price up?

What you selling? If you're offering up gas pumps let us know.

Tim
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 07:37:14 pm »

MaineT I was being kind of sarcastic.  My point was that in my opinion there are no real buyers, a Wayne 70 in that condition is not a $1000 pump and any buyer who would let this guy play them off of each other like this probably don't exist.

That being said, I do have 4 gas pumps, 2 are being restored for me to keep, the other 2 are being restored to sell.  When they are done I can post them on here if interested.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: