SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 03:41:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Craigslist Like eBay  (Read 16597 times)
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 02:04:40 pm »

down down down down down down down down

Why is everone getting so heated...sheesh.    I agree with MaineT that, yes, unfortunately scruples seem to be a thing of the past for most, especially in this hobby.  I also have offered more than asking when I know they are oblivious to what they are sitting on, but that's just me --NOT A REQUIREMENT.  When someone prices something it is what they THINK is fair, if they are wrong, well shame on them.  I also believe that the purpose of Craigslist is essentially an online yardsale, you price it and hope for the best.  If you price too low, thats your problem for not doing a little research.  We all know the info is out there, and whatever you're reading this from has it available on it.  If you continuously pull a CL ad and keep reposting with a higher price, most will note that and move onto the next item.  If you want to get top dollar, put your dream price and say you're open to offers.  But to keep flip flopping gains nothing as the interested buyers will walk feeling that they're getting jerked around.......now everyone have a beer and relax, it's almost weekend
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:07:53 pm by Jacko1070 » Logged
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 02:22:23 pm »

I am certainly no expert on gas pumps but I wouldnt pay the $190 anyway.  That pump is pitted so bad that after blasting it you probably wouldn't have enough metal left to paint. I assume it is a rare pump since he is up to $800.  I also agree that sellers on Craigslist shouldn't post a price if thats not the selling price. He should have just said best offer gets it.

Greg
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 02:30:11 pm »

Pump is a Wayne 70, it doesn't look pitted and a solid start on a project depending on how long it has been laying in that dirt floor. If dry it's fine, if the floor was acidic with chicken, cow, or goat poo or piss its a parts pump. That's not that hard of a pump to find but sought after as it is a tall pump. $650 if not rotted out yes, $800 no!

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 05:13:45 pm »

It's simple...

Craigslist should be for Priced items.. price it , get an offer, sell it ,.. done.

if you want people to bid.. bite the bullet, put it on an auction site or live local auction and take your chances or put a reserve.

Don't try to cheat the system...

Lets all have a cold one and relax...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SLIDER
10 Cent Member

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 06:59:31 pm »

Hey you guys are scaring us newbies...... Oo       INHALE.....HOLD......EXHALE..........Relax guys life is too short!!    smile

S & S 700 Royal Crown Chest
 Ideal 55 slider 7 Up
Silver King Hot nut vendor
Tokheim 39 "highboy" GULF NO-NOX gas pump
Watling penny Scale
 Popcorn sez machine
 Du Grainer candy bar & Gum Machine
 Wurlitzer 1400 Jukebox and wall box
 Exhibit Mystery PinBall
 Bally Gayetey Bingo
National
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »

My only comment would be a fair price for that pump is $600 and would tell him that is today only. Then move on.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 12:46:53 am »

I emailed this guy the same day also and got the same response.  The response came in a mass email and I felt jerked around, I've had sellers play these games before where they fish for interest and then when they have some bites they start playing buyers off of each other.

I simply replied to all on his email list and said I am out, this way letting all other buyers know there was one less to bid against.  I was a little disappointed when my reply all was just one other guy (so much for the line of people interested).

I think this seller knew exactly what he had from the start but just wanted to get multiple people interested to run a little craigslist auction.

Wayne 70's are not the rarest pump in the world, I also thought by the way it was laying there that there was a good chance the door on back side would be missing.
CoinOpCrazy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 06:59:49 am »

That pump is pitted so bad that after blasting it you probably wouldn't have enough metal left to paint.
Pits are no problem. Or are you thinking there would be big holes?

Ideal 55 Slider (Embossed Double Dot Pepsi) Restored
Ideal 35 (Generic White) Needs to be restored
Ideal 35 (Dr.Pepper) Needs to be restored
56 Square Top (Coca Cola)
Heinz Pepsi Gull Wing - Needs to be restored
Westinghouse 42T - For Sale
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 07:54:44 am »

Posting on CL is an interesting process.  I have placed items on there that i wanted to get rid of where I guessed at the value.  As noted by a couple of the posts here, when the phone rings off the hook and the emails explode, I probably priced it too low.  I usually sell the item anyway but I am talking about househokd items and not collectibles.  Also, I am not selling these items out of necessity either.  Not eating cat food yet!

When buying, if I see something that is underpriced, I try to jump on it.  If I get it, I get it but I don't lose any sleep over it if I miss out.  I have from time to time offered more than the asking price to be fair to the seller and secure the item.  I assess the situation before I try to haggle someone down on their price in most cases.  If I am getting a reasonable price and it looks like the seller really needs the money, I am going to pay full asking and move on.  One of my Stoner Theaters is a good example.  They had it priced reasonably but I probably could have talked them down quite a bit; however, it was a mother and daughter selling off their recently deceased husband/father's collection.  I just paid asking for the machine and then I helped them research the value of the rest of the signs, etc. so they did not end up giving them away or being taken advantage of by a dealer.  Would I do that for someone who is a dealer, probably not.  It just depends on the situation.  In most cases I am not usually buying with the intention of flipping though.

While I don't agree with this sellers use of Craigslist--it would be better to pull the ad and do your research once you realize you are underpriced and repost when you decide on the new price or clean the item up, put it on Ebay and let the chips fall where they may--I can't fault him for wanting to get the most out of his item.  I don't see Tim's post as an angry one, rather he is having a little fun calling us all out for something we are all guilty of from time to time.  As buyers--We joke when somebody prices something too high and complain when somebody beats us to something that is priced too low or when the price changes because the seller got a call from somebody else who told him the item was worth far more when we knew it was way under-priced.  Conversely as sellers, we are bothered when somebody tells us our price is too high or tries to "insult" us with a lowball offer because we want max dollars.  Both sides are part of this game and Tim is just having a little fun pointing something out that we all know in our minds to be true.

Keep Calm and Collect On!

Tim
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:18:26 am by mznb1u » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 08:28:45 am »

... my reply all was just one other guy (so much for the line of people interested).

I think this guy just shot himself in the foot, he'll probably still have it next month.

No sympathy for sellers from me, we all know the biggest thrill of this hobby is the find, and purchase price will always play the biggest factor.

Glen
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: