SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 03:39:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Craigslist Like eBay  (Read 16595 times)
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 06:10:58 am »

MaineT, not sure how I was "pulp fictioning" him as he is the one who put it out there at a price and I agreed to pay his asking price.  Had he listed it at $600 or $800 and I went in and told him it was only worth $195 and then only paid $195, I would agree with you 100%. 

Thanks for your feedback

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 07:51:43 am »

But surely when it becomes apparent that YOU haven't done your homework and YOU have put it on too low you just withdraw the Ad and figure out the going price.
Its not rocket science. The pump isn't one of a kind. When you know what a fair price is for it you then put it back.

All this bidding to me seems like someone who is too lazy to make a few enquires or clean the item up and make it presentable for sale. Or maybe someone who is chancing his arm
and even if you agree a fair price will back out of the deal through fear that he would make $10 more elsewhere.

Plenty more pumps in the sea....

Who cares if you didn't do your homework? If he puts it out there for best offer or $2000 you complain about that too. It's not $10, it's $600 so don't act like he backed out over a cheeseburger and it's not a lot of money. If it's an offered for sale publicly on a random garage sale web site, you'll find out if you're too low on your price. And then people here all complain that people pay too much on eBay, or "epay",  too where the buyer sets the price, so basically it's always too much to the people on this board!

Tim
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 07:56:28 am »

I agree with Dave
I too have no issue of pulling the ad off of CL and putting a different value on it.  What I do have a problem with is jerking people around on an item that YOU put a price on, with no clear indication as to what you want for it.

It would be like having a garage sale and putting a price on an item, then when someone want to pay that price, you say, NAW I got a better offer than that, but I'm STILL holding out for more until I say when it's time to sell it.
Why  have a garage sale then?

If he started the CL ad off with a MAKE ME AN OFFER AND THE HIGEST GETS IT, then I cant have issue with that.  It's his item, he can do what he wants with it.

Back to work,... I gotta make money to pay for this hobby lol

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:07 am »

Tim

I feel your anger 1000's of miles away. You need to chill out..

If you offer something for sale without doing your homework at vastly under what it is actually valued at you derserve to lose out.

Craigslist is not set up like an auction site. You ask a price and the guy around the corner comes down and pays (or haggles) picks it up and walks away.

If, like in this case, he is inundated with telephone calls and has called it wrong just take the ad down and in the spirit of Craiglsist offer it at $2000 or best offer. The best offer gets it.

We always go back to the same old argument about what people are willing to pay for something. I am willing to pay hugely more than most because of supply and demand. Its the same across the US. Some items are plentiful in one area and sparse in another.

When people express their opinions its just that. I never bother telling sellers they have it wrong. Who am I to value their item. However, if someone wants to sell me something that is lots under the market value I'll grab it with both hands thank you...
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:59 am »

MaineT, not sure how I was "pulp fictioning" him as he is the one who put it out there at a price and I agreed to pay his asking price.  Had he listed it at $600 or $800 and I went in and told him it was only worth $195 and then only paid $195, I would agree with you 100%. 

Thanks for your feedback

If your there in person and he tossed out that number that would be one thing, you could take advantage of another person. That's why dealers get such a bad reputation. Can't resist taking advantage of the old or weak and do the ethical thing which is pay a reasonable amount for an item but still leave a profit in it. If they make a mistake on their price, you swoop in and screw them as hard as you can under the pros of calling it a "deal."

Then why did you try to f$&c him like one. Pulp fiction. You thought you had a bit(h on the hook you tried to f$&c.

Tim
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 08:24:40 am »

Tim,
I'm confused. Was the point of your post to discuss the CL ad and how the seller  is using the offers to research for him, or was it another of your  "You boys don't play" fair rants?

YOU were the one who posted the CL AD
YOU were the one who claimed to offer his asking proce an hour after the ad release.
YOU were the one who claims  he  told you he wasn't aware of the value, and will accept bids
YOU were the one who asked for opinions, and then proceed to skewer those that do.

I read your  original post, I noted YOU didn't tell him the gas pump was worth more than his $200 asking price. I don't see you telling the seller the market rate for his pump, or how to  research an item's value.

Instead, I keep reading sad, angry person  that reminds me of the troll days at AOL. I'm sorry you live  in an area of the world where the collectable  you want are  limiited.
Sorry you have tihs set of ethics that only seems to apply to you
Sorry you  seem to think  people here live to toss old grandmothers out on the street and then charge them to hal away their hand carved buffet set, or whatever collectable you believe we are stealing.

I wish it were 1981 for you again, you can  sit in a Compuserve or AOL chat room, and  flame who ever post an opinion or comment  and sit smugly, instead of doing it here.   Sorry life is unfair in Maine. Perhaps you should conser moving to Las Vegas, I've hjeard there are all sorts of collectables to found for a song. 

By the way, your hypocrisy is showing....

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 09:14:44 am »

The point was: Is this the proper way to post a Craigslist ad?

No, I would compare it to finding an old pump at the swap meet.

Q: How much for the gas pump?
       A: Oh, I dunno.......how much 'er they goin' fer?            oh

Glen
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:38:22 am »

Tim,
I'm confused. Was the point of your post to discuss the CL ad and how the seller  is using the offers to research for him, or was it another of your  "You boys don't play" fair rants?

YOU were the one who posted the CL AD
YOU were the one who claimed to offer his asking proce an hour after the ad release.
YOU were the one who claims  he  told you he wasn't aware of the value, and will accept bids
YOU were the one who asked for opinions, and then proceed to skewer those that do.

I read your  original post, I noted YOU didn't tell him the gas pump was worth more than his $200 asking price. I don't see you telling the seller the market rate for his pump, or how to  research an item's value.

Instead, I keep reading sad, angry person  that reminds me of the troll days at AOL. I'm sorry you live  in an area of the world where the collectable  you want are  limiited.
Sorry you have tihs set of ethics that only seems to apply to you
Sorry you  seem to think  people here live to toss old grandmothers out on the street and then charge them to hal away their hand carved buffet set, or whatever collectable you believe we are stealing.

I wish it were 1981 for you again, you can  sit in a Compuserve or AOL chat room, and  flame who ever post an opinion or comment  and sit smugly, instead of doing it here.   Sorry life is unfair in Maine. Perhaps you should conser moving to Las Vegas, I've hjeard there are all sorts of collectables to found for a song. 

By the way, your hypocrisy is showing....

Kilroy,

He posted for opinions, I gave him mine. Obviously, there is nothing wrong with what the guy is doing and its offensive people think there is, he isn't posting in the dealer section, its the owner that's trying not to get screwed by vultures.

I'm not sad or angry, I assure you that. I'm a happy individual that apparently has more morals then you. I have emailed people before and made a much better offer then their asking price explaining that their price is too low and I would pay more.

I have even told people in shops when they are not asking enough or even when I found a solid silver picture frame at a group shop that was 10% of scrap value. I had seen the old guy in his booth before and he obviously was selling his own possessions because he needed the money. If that was a slick willy dealer I would have bought it and scrapped it myself. Yes, he thanked me the next time I ran into him.

One time I went back to a yard sale and tried to give the guy an extra $100 for a pair of binoculars that I bought them out of his $1 box. Turned out to be Diensteglas Zeiss German WW2 binoculars. They were tan. I couldn't in clear conscience keep them for $1.

I go into a lot of shops and I know a lot of dealers in my area that have my same set of ethics, but I have run into a lot that knew they were going to make 5-10 times their money and took advantage of the situation.

Thinking your going to make 30-50% and getting lucky making 300%, that's one thing, buying that low knowingly is another.

If you think I'm a troll then fine, call me names if it makes you feel better about screwing others. I'm doing the right thing and I'm ok with that. I even tried to help members on this board with some deals and neat coin-op stuff I ran across, but I got blasted for helping out members so I don't do it any more.

Tim
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 12:39:25 pm »

Mmmmmmm.... Someone's being an A$&* ..... upside
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:59:36 am by johnieG » Logged

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 01:26:48 pm »

I think now would be a good time to pull this post;)

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C