SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 03:36:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Craigslist Like eBay  (Read 16595 times)
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« on: January 09, 2014, 08:57:26 pm »

Back before the holidays, a gas pump came up locally on Craigslist with an asking price of $195. I replied within about an hour of it being posted that I would take it as long as it wasn't rusted through. About a week or so later I get an email saying thanks for the interest and I am currently taking bids on it. The higher bid is currently $600 and I have others in reserve at $500.  I politely tell the guy that the ad was $195 I'm not paying a dime more.

Go on to craigslist today and the ad is back at a top bid of $800 with others in reserve at $700.

Any one else run into this kind of thing and what are your thoughts on it? I know that it's not "illegal" or anything like that but think it's just "bad business".

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/atq/4241974842.html

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:10:09 pm »

I hope that $800 "bid" is  as legitimate as he is

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
CoinOpCrazy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:20:05 pm »

With antiques I would 100% agree. However with cars I would not. In fact I may have been the one who invented that idea. Someone I know was selling a car and the phone wouldn't stop ringing all day long. So I told him to just post the current offer on and go from there. Guess that came back to bite us all.

Ideal 55 Slider (Embossed Double Dot Pepsi) Restored
Ideal 35 (Generic White) Needs to be restored
Ideal 35 (Dr.Pepper) Needs to be restored
56 Square Top (Coca Cola)
Heinz Pepsi Gull Wing - Needs to be restored
Westinghouse 42T - For Sale
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:25:56 pm »

I hate reindeer games.
I would not bid or deal with a CL ad like that ever.
Ebay I have no issues with bidding, because that's what the site is, and I can see the bids taking place. With CL, the seller can bid up the item at will (sure you can on Ebay too, but it's something that can be spotted easier)

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
CoinOpCrazy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:49:50 pm »

Let me restate that. In extreme cases such at with the car I would say it's okay. We all know antiques will not get calls all day long. I don't think I would be able to hold back from calling the guy an idiot.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:52:20 pm by CoinOpCrazy » Logged

mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:54:08 pm »

Lame! Guy is full of himself. Little does he know 49 of those 50 e-mails are Craigslist spam. He knows nothing about selling. If he did he would stand the pump up, say wipe it down a bit, and get rid of all the other crap in the pictures. I've seen this method used before on CL where I kindly e-mail and tell them there is a site for what they are trying to do, it's called e-bay.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:59:28 pm »

I hate when it gets to that, I have seen it in a few situations.  Just to shove it back at them, I have offered more than top dollar with no intention to buy, just to show we can all offer untruthful amounts when there's no cash in hand to prove it.

CoinOpCrazy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 10:08:40 pm »

I've seen this method used before on CL where I kindly e-mail and tell them there is a site for what they are trying to do, it's called e-bay.

Now now e-bay is not free-bay.  laugh These type of people and no shows are the reason why I just give up on CL. The type of people on there just piss me off.

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 12:57:26 am »

Everyone here b1tche$ when they ask a high price because they want to get what something is worth because everyone lowballs and tries to steal your stuff. Now your complaining that he is giving equal opportunity for you to pay a fair price, but full price. You were going to f$%k him and steal it for $195 but now your complaining that he wont let you f$%k him? I don't care what he was asking, you know it was worth a LOT more than $195. Pricing and valuing is the hardest part of selling something and 20 calls the first day is saying your WAY TOO LOW.

Come on, your phone rings off the hook because you are asking 10-20% of the retail price and your not going to figure out its not too low? You really can't see a red flag that your price was too low? If you were fair to him off the bat then maybe you would have gotten further.

If you don't want the item, don't make an offer and move on but don't get pissed that he wont let himself get f$%ked for at least $600. 3 times his price when he didn't know the value.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:06:05 am by MaineT » Logged

Tim
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:34:51 am »

But surely when it becomes apparent that YOU haven't done your homework and YOU have put it on too low you just withdraw the Ad and figure out the going price.
Its not rocket science. The pump isn't one of a kind. When you know what a fair price is for it you then put it back.

All this bidding to me seems like someone who is too lazy to make a few enquires or clean the item up and make it presentable for sale. Or maybe someone who is chancing his arm
and even if you agree a fair price will back out of the deal through fear that he would make $10 more elsewhere.

Plenty more pumps in the sea....

HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 06:10:58 am »

MaineT, not sure how I was "pulp fictioning" him as he is the one who put it out there at a price and I agreed to pay his asking price.  Had he listed it at $600 or $800 and I went in and told him it was only worth $195 and then only paid $195, I would agree with you 100%. 

Thanks for your feedback

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 07:51:43 am »

But surely when it becomes apparent that YOU haven't done your homework and YOU have put it on too low you just withdraw the Ad and figure out the going price.
Its not rocket science. The pump isn't one of a kind. When you know what a fair price is for it you then put it back.

All this bidding to me seems like someone who is too lazy to make a few enquires or clean the item up and make it presentable for sale. Or maybe someone who is chancing his arm
and even if you agree a fair price will back out of the deal through fear that he would make $10 more elsewhere.

Plenty more pumps in the sea....

Who cares if you didn't do your homework? If he puts it out there for best offer or $2000 you complain about that too. It's not $10, it's $600 so don't act like he backed out over a cheeseburger and it's not a lot of money. If it's an offered for sale publicly on a random garage sale web site, you'll find out if you're too low on your price. And then people here all complain that people pay too much on eBay, or "epay",  too where the buyer sets the price, so basically it's always too much to the people on this board!

Tim
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 07:56:28 am »

I agree with Dave
I too have no issue of pulling the ad off of CL and putting a different value on it.  What I do have a problem with is jerking people around on an item that YOU put a price on, with no clear indication as to what you want for it.

It would be like having a garage sale and putting a price on an item, then when someone want to pay that price, you say, NAW I got a better offer than that, but I'm STILL holding out for more until I say when it's time to sell it.
Why  have a garage sale then?

If he started the CL ad off with a MAKE ME AN OFFER AND THE HIGEST GETS IT, then I cant have issue with that.  It's his item, he can do what he wants with it.

Back to work,... I gotta make money to pay for this hobby lol

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:07 am »

Tim

I feel your anger 1000's of miles away. You need to chill out..

If you offer something for sale without doing your homework at vastly under what it is actually valued at you derserve to lose out.

Craigslist is not set up like an auction site. You ask a price and the guy around the corner comes down and pays (or haggles) picks it up and walks away.

If, like in this case, he is inundated with telephone calls and has called it wrong just take the ad down and in the spirit of Craiglsist offer it at $2000 or best offer. The best offer gets it.

We always go back to the same old argument about what people are willing to pay for something. I am willing to pay hugely more than most because of supply and demand. Its the same across the US. Some items are plentiful in one area and sparse in another.

When people express their opinions its just that. I never bother telling sellers they have it wrong. Who am I to value their item. However, if someone wants to sell me something that is lots under the market value I'll grab it with both hands thank you...
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:59 am »

MaineT, not sure how I was "pulp fictioning" him as he is the one who put it out there at a price and I agreed to pay his asking price.  Had he listed it at $600 or $800 and I went in and told him it was only worth $195 and then only paid $195, I would agree with you 100%. 

Thanks for your feedback

If your there in person and he tossed out that number that would be one thing, you could take advantage of another person. That's why dealers get such a bad reputation. Can't resist taking advantage of the old or weak and do the ethical thing which is pay a reasonable amount for an item but still leave a profit in it. If they make a mistake on their price, you swoop in and screw them as hard as you can under the pros of calling it a "deal."

Then why did you try to f$&c him like one. Pulp fiction. You thought you had a bit(h on the hook you tried to f$&c.

Tim
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 08:24:40 am »

Tim,
I'm confused. Was the point of your post to discuss the CL ad and how the seller  is using the offers to research for him, or was it another of your  "You boys don't play" fair rants?

YOU were the one who posted the CL AD
YOU were the one who claimed to offer his asking proce an hour after the ad release.
YOU were the one who claims  he  told you he wasn't aware of the value, and will accept bids
YOU were the one who asked for opinions, and then proceed to skewer those that do.

I read your  original post, I noted YOU didn't tell him the gas pump was worth more than his $200 asking price. I don't see you telling the seller the market rate for his pump, or how to  research an item's value.

Instead, I keep reading sad, angry person  that reminds me of the troll days at AOL. I'm sorry you live  in an area of the world where the collectable  you want are  limiited.
Sorry you have tihs set of ethics that only seems to apply to you
Sorry you  seem to think  people here live to toss old grandmothers out on the street and then charge them to hal away their hand carved buffet set, or whatever collectable you believe we are stealing.

I wish it were 1981 for you again, you can  sit in a Compuserve or AOL chat room, and  flame who ever post an opinion or comment  and sit smugly, instead of doing it here.   Sorry life is unfair in Maine. Perhaps you should conser moving to Las Vegas, I've hjeard there are all sorts of collectables to found for a song. 

By the way, your hypocrisy is showing....

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 09:14:44 am »

The point was: Is this the proper way to post a Craigslist ad?

No, I would compare it to finding an old pump at the swap meet.

Q: How much for the gas pump?
       A: Oh, I dunno.......how much 'er they goin' fer?            oh

Glen
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:38:22 am »

Tim,
I'm confused. Was the point of your post to discuss the CL ad and how the seller  is using the offers to research for him, or was it another of your  "You boys don't play" fair rants?

YOU were the one who posted the CL AD
YOU were the one who claimed to offer his asking proce an hour after the ad release.
YOU were the one who claims  he  told you he wasn't aware of the value, and will accept bids
YOU were the one who asked for opinions, and then proceed to skewer those that do.

I read your  original post, I noted YOU didn't tell him the gas pump was worth more than his $200 asking price. I don't see you telling the seller the market rate for his pump, or how to  research an item's value.

Instead, I keep reading sad, angry person  that reminds me of the troll days at AOL. I'm sorry you live  in an area of the world where the collectable  you want are  limiited.
Sorry you have tihs set of ethics that only seems to apply to you
Sorry you  seem to think  people here live to toss old grandmothers out on the street and then charge them to hal away their hand carved buffet set, or whatever collectable you believe we are stealing.

I wish it were 1981 for you again, you can  sit in a Compuserve or AOL chat room, and  flame who ever post an opinion or comment  and sit smugly, instead of doing it here.   Sorry life is unfair in Maine. Perhaps you should conser moving to Las Vegas, I've hjeard there are all sorts of collectables to found for a song. 

By the way, your hypocrisy is showing....

Kilroy,

He posted for opinions, I gave him mine. Obviously, there is nothing wrong with what the guy is doing and its offensive people think there is, he isn't posting in the dealer section, its the owner that's trying not to get screwed by vultures.

I'm not sad or angry, I assure you that. I'm a happy individual that apparently has more morals then you. I have emailed people before and made a much better offer then their asking price explaining that their price is too low and I would pay more.

I have even told people in shops when they are not asking enough or even when I found a solid silver picture frame at a group shop that was 10% of scrap value. I had seen the old guy in his booth before and he obviously was selling his own possessions because he needed the money. If that was a slick willy dealer I would have bought it and scrapped it myself. Yes, he thanked me the next time I ran into him.

One time I went back to a yard sale and tried to give the guy an extra $100 for a pair of binoculars that I bought them out of his $1 box. Turned out to be Diensteglas Zeiss German WW2 binoculars. They were tan. I couldn't in clear conscience keep them for $1.

I go into a lot of shops and I know a lot of dealers in my area that have my same set of ethics, but I have run into a lot that knew they were going to make 5-10 times their money and took advantage of the situation.

Thinking your going to make 30-50% and getting lucky making 300%, that's one thing, buying that low knowingly is another.

If you think I'm a troll then fine, call me names if it makes you feel better about screwing others. I'm doing the right thing and I'm ok with that. I even tried to help members on this board with some deals and neat coin-op stuff I ran across, but I got blasted for helping out members so I don't do it any more.

Tim
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 12:39:25 pm »

Mmmmmmm.... Someone's being an A$&* ..... upside
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:59:36 am by johnieG » Logged

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 01:26:48 pm »

I think now would be a good time to pull this post;)

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 02:04:40 pm »

down down down down down down down down

Why is everone getting so heated...sheesh.    I agree with MaineT that, yes, unfortunately scruples seem to be a thing of the past for most, especially in this hobby.  I also have offered more than asking when I know they are oblivious to what they are sitting on, but that's just me --NOT A REQUIREMENT.  When someone prices something it is what they THINK is fair, if they are wrong, well shame on them.  I also believe that the purpose of Craigslist is essentially an online yardsale, you price it and hope for the best.  If you price too low, thats your problem for not doing a little research.  We all know the info is out there, and whatever you're reading this from has it available on it.  If you continuously pull a CL ad and keep reposting with a higher price, most will note that and move onto the next item.  If you want to get top dollar, put your dream price and say you're open to offers.  But to keep flip flopping gains nothing as the interested buyers will walk feeling that they're getting jerked around.......now everyone have a beer and relax, it's almost weekend
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:07:53 pm by Jacko1070 » Logged
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 02:22:23 pm »

I am certainly no expert on gas pumps but I wouldnt pay the $190 anyway.  That pump is pitted so bad that after blasting it you probably wouldn't have enough metal left to paint. I assume it is a rare pump since he is up to $800.  I also agree that sellers on Craigslist shouldn't post a price if thats not the selling price. He should have just said best offer gets it.

Greg
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 02:30:11 pm »

Pump is a Wayne 70, it doesn't look pitted and a solid start on a project depending on how long it has been laying in that dirt floor. If dry it's fine, if the floor was acidic with chicken, cow, or goat poo or piss its a parts pump. That's not that hard of a pump to find but sought after as it is a tall pump. $650 if not rotted out yes, $800 no!

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 05:13:45 pm »

It's simple...

Craigslist should be for Priced items.. price it , get an offer, sell it ,.. done.

if you want people to bid.. bite the bullet, put it on an auction site or live local auction and take your chances or put a reserve.

Don't try to cheat the system...

Lets all have a cold one and relax...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SLIDER
10 Cent Member

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 06:59:31 pm »

Hey you guys are scaring us newbies...... Oo       INHALE.....HOLD......EXHALE..........Relax guys life is too short!!    smile

S & S 700 Royal Crown Chest
 Ideal 55 slider 7 Up
Silver King Hot nut vendor
Tokheim 39 "highboy" GULF NO-NOX gas pump
Watling penny Scale
 Popcorn sez machine
 Du Grainer candy bar & Gum Machine
 Wurlitzer 1400 Jukebox and wall box
 Exhibit Mystery PinBall
 Bally Gayetey Bingo
National
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »

My only comment would be a fair price for that pump is $600 and would tell him that is today only. Then move on.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 12:46:53 am »

I emailed this guy the same day also and got the same response.  The response came in a mass email and I felt jerked around, I've had sellers play these games before where they fish for interest and then when they have some bites they start playing buyers off of each other.

I simply replied to all on his email list and said I am out, this way letting all other buyers know there was one less to bid against.  I was a little disappointed when my reply all was just one other guy (so much for the line of people interested).

I think this seller knew exactly what he had from the start but just wanted to get multiple people interested to run a little craigslist auction.

Wayne 70's are not the rarest pump in the world, I also thought by the way it was laying there that there was a good chance the door on back side would be missing.
CoinOpCrazy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 06:59:49 am »

That pump is pitted so bad that after blasting it you probably wouldn't have enough metal left to paint.
Pits are no problem. Or are you thinking there would be big holes?

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 07:54:44 am »

Posting on CL is an interesting process.  I have placed items on there that i wanted to get rid of where I guessed at the value.  As noted by a couple of the posts here, when the phone rings off the hook and the emails explode, I probably priced it too low.  I usually sell the item anyway but I am talking about househokd items and not collectibles.  Also, I am not selling these items out of necessity either.  Not eating cat food yet!

When buying, if I see something that is underpriced, I try to jump on it.  If I get it, I get it but I don't lose any sleep over it if I miss out.  I have from time to time offered more than the asking price to be fair to the seller and secure the item.  I assess the situation before I try to haggle someone down on their price in most cases.  If I am getting a reasonable price and it looks like the seller really needs the money, I am going to pay full asking and move on.  One of my Stoner Theaters is a good example.  They had it priced reasonably but I probably could have talked them down quite a bit; however, it was a mother and daughter selling off their recently deceased husband/father's collection.  I just paid asking for the machine and then I helped them research the value of the rest of the signs, etc. so they did not end up giving them away or being taken advantage of by a dealer.  Would I do that for someone who is a dealer, probably not.  It just depends on the situation.  In most cases I am not usually buying with the intention of flipping though.

While I don't agree with this sellers use of Craigslist--it would be better to pull the ad and do your research once you realize you are underpriced and repost when you decide on the new price or clean the item up, put it on Ebay and let the chips fall where they may--I can't fault him for wanting to get the most out of his item.  I don't see Tim's post as an angry one, rather he is having a little fun calling us all out for something we are all guilty of from time to time.  As buyers--We joke when somebody prices something too high and complain when somebody beats us to something that is priced too low or when the price changes because the seller got a call from somebody else who told him the item was worth far more when we knew it was way under-priced.  Conversely as sellers, we are bothered when somebody tells us our price is too high or tries to "insult" us with a lowball offer because we want max dollars.  Both sides are part of this game and Tim is just having a little fun pointing something out that we all know in our minds to be true.

Keep Calm and Collect On!

Tim
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:18:26 am by mznb1u » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 08:28:45 am »

... my reply all was just one other guy (so much for the line of people interested).

I think this guy just shot himself in the foot, he'll probably still have it next month.

No sympathy for sellers from me, we all know the biggest thrill of this hobby is the find, and purchase price will always play the biggest factor.

Glen
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 08:56:14 am »

As I said in my post earlier I got the impression this was an intentional tactic all along.  He included in a few places (his reply to all and I believe in his updated craigslist ads) about all the other cool stuff laying around.  I put some clues together and in my mind came to the conclusion this guy is trying to stir up some excitement to get people to come buy stuff from him.  Mind you I have zero proof of this, just my gut feeling.

As far as sellers go, I never get upset when they ask a fair price, if I really want the item I pay it, if I don't I walk away...and I too have offered more money to some sellers depending on the situation and I am always willing to help give advice to some, again, depending on who they are and if I find them to be nice...this guy with the pump...I'm going with my gut, he's playing games.
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 09:55:29 am »

Posting on CL is an interesting process.  I have placed items on there that i wanted to get rid of where I guessed at the value.  As noted by a couple of the posts here, when the phone rings off the hook and the emails explode, I probably priced it too low.  I usually sell the item anyway but I am talking about househokd items and not collectibles.  Also, I am not selling these items out of necessity either.  Not eating cat food yet!

When buying, if I see something that is underpriced, I try to jump on it.  If I get it, I get it but I don't lose any sleep over it if I miss out.  I have from time to time offered more than the asking price to be fair to the seller and secure the item.  I assess the situation before I try to haggle someone down on their price in most cases.  If I am getting a reasonable price and it looks like the seller really needs the money, I am going to pay full asking and move on.  One of my Stoner Theaters is a good example.  They had it priced reasonably but I probably could have talked them down quite a bit; however, it was a mother and daughter selling off their recently deceased husband/father's collection.  I just paid asking for the machine and then I helped them research the value of the rest of the signs, etc. so they did not end up giving them away or being taken advantage of by a dealer.  Would I do that for someone who is a dealer, probably not.  It just depends on the situation.  In most cases I am not usually buying with the intention of flipping though.

While I don't agree with this sellers use of Craigslist--it would be better to pull the ad and do your research once you realize you are underpriced and repost when you decide on the new price or clean the item up, put it on Ebay and let the chips fall where they may--I can't fault him for wanting to get the most out of his item.  I don't see Tim's post as an angry one, rather he is having a little fun calling us all out for something we are all guilty of from time to time.  As buyers--We joke when somebody prices something too high and complain when somebody beats us to something that is priced too low or when the price changes because the seller got a call from somebody else who told him the item was worth far more when we knew it was way under-priced.  Conversely as sellers, we are bothered when somebody tells us our price is too high or tries to "insult" us with a lowball offer because we want max dollars.  Both sides are part of this game and Tim is just having a little fun pointing something out that we all know in our minds to be true.

Keep Calm and Collect On!

Tim

Well said Tim...I agree 100% (except I have been known to flip an item or two...or 10!)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:57:07 am by Slider-Bob » Logged

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 11:17:25 am »

So I just ran across this sellers updated Craigslist ad with more pictures. I am now convinced this seller may just be totally clueless.  The new pictures show the base on this thing is shot, most of it is missing which explains why it is laying down. As far as the other door goes, it is hard to tell if it is gone or just rotten.  Either way I now think his original asking price is more in line than his supposed highest bid
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 09:38:57 pm »

yea that's what I was getting at in my earlier post this thing is a rusted out piece of crap.

Greg
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 10:24:56 pm »

Thank you all for your feedback on this.

jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 09:21:08 am »

yea that's what I was getting at in my earlier post this thing is a rusted out piece of crap.

I agree cola but unfortunately someone who thinks they are on a TV show will probably go there and overpay for it where I think most of us would rather see this seller get stuck with it
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 04:36:17 pm »

high bid is now at $1000 with two others over $750.  Who are these buyers?  I have some stuff I'd love to sell them.  Is anybody falling for this?  Who would let this guy continue to drive the price up?
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 04:49:38 pm »

Ive been watching this.. Ive found this interesting in a strange way..  Ive also been watching a popcorn machine on ebay that the price has gone up and then gone down then back up again then down again .. I really don't know whats going on there ha ha.. It seems everything I want to bid on or buy always has something strange going on with it.. just my luck! glare
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 05:20:57 pm »

high bid is now at $1000 with two others over $750.  Who are these buyers?  I have some stuff I'd love to sell them.  Is anybody falling for this?  Who would let this guy continue to drive the price up?

What you selling? If you're offering up gas pumps let us know.

Tim
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 07:37:14 pm »

MaineT I was being kind of sarcastic.  My point was that in my opinion there are no real buyers, a Wayne 70 in that condition is not a $1000 pump and any buyer who would let this guy play them off of each other like this probably don't exist.

That being said, I do have 4 gas pumps, 2 are being restored for me to keep, the other 2 are being restored to sell.  When they are done I can post them on here if interested.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 08:21:35 pm »

Jbrooks, how much are you selling them for unrestored? $195? Restored?

The people around here pay for stuff. They dried up years ago.  Yes, go to the Midwest and the shows and you'll get them cheaper. I know they are worth nothing, but there is a shop near me that tapes them off, paints them (the worst paint job ever!) and sells as many as they can get.  The lady said they easily go thru 20 per summer. They typically have little ones, not the good tall ones. I suspect they have them shipped in off eBay because I've seen unrestored ones on pallets. The sell coke coolers and an occasional candy machine if they can find them. Their prices are thru the roof and they still sell all day long.

Tim
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 09:51:27 pm »

Being in the New York area it generally costs somewhere in the $400 range to get a decent project so no I would not sell an unrestored one for $195 (the guy we're all talking about has a pump with some major issues though, that base and second door is a $400-600 problem)

Here is the first pump I had professionally restored, before and after pictures. This one was for me, the next one is also for me.  The other 2 when all said and done I will be selling for $2500 each.
Smallblock
10 Cent Member

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 07:58:03 pm »

Nice dino pump  smile!!    Is it your -67 impala?
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 10:03:21 pm »

no, the Impala is parked outside my restorers shop...its his car
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: