SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 02:22:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VMC 27 on American Restorations  (Read 17907 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 02:04:05 pm »

Rick said "we were able to get all the parts we needed from our boneyard."  What a tool.  When he dropped the $5800 on the "customer" for the restoration, the guy gave a made-up-for-TV wince and then said okay.  Man, this show has ZERO credibility.

What do you mean? America is his bone-yard!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 02:54:11 pm »

HAHA!  There was also a recent show were the American Pickers guys bought a 57 Chevy for Rick to restore for the Pawn Stars guy (it was a gift for the Old Man).  The American Pickers guys were rummaging around Rick's boneyard and asked if we would float them a Vendo 39 as a finders fee.  Mind you, this wasn't a restored one or even a working original.  It was one from the lot he has with all the crap sitting on it (he calls it the boneyard).  The ones out in the yard are in various needs of repair.  Rick was charging the Pawn Stars $70k to restore the Chevy and gave the Pickers guys a flat-out NO to a machine that was sitting outside.  Business is business, but the 39s they were looking at were a couple hundred at best.  Again, what a tool.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 03:07:48 pm »

This show and Rick are both a total Tool....I would love to see a restoration  program where they actually go through the process and not wave a magic wand. I watch ONLY because I like seeing the old items coming in. The rest of the Apple Dumpling gang make me sick.
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 03:13:18 pm »

Hey, with the prices that he charges the people, and the Bul !%@$e that goes on with the show... he should legally change his name to RICK JAIL

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
cdc1960
10 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 07:15:27 pm »

Again, what a tool.

Vendo 44, 63
Cornelius SVM48E3, Cornelius Diplomat
AMI D80, G120
Gotlieb Genie
Bennett 956
Eco 240
Theatre Popcorn machine
Watling Horoscope Penny Scale
gum machines, parking meter, taxi meter, pay phone, etc...
it's getting out of hand..
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »

If they did a show that actually did show the restoration process somewhat like "Overhaulin" but a little more exciting I bet it would do very well.
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:56 pm »

He charges high  prices, but I wonder how much does his customers for being on the show and for having their stuff restored.  I sure they don't do it for free,   if they do then they are just dumb a$$es...without them he doesn't have a show.

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pat Pixley
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 10:57:47 pm »

I watched and I thought that was your machine John .  your right you should have charged a little more.

Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 12:16:53 am »

I was in Las Vegas about 3 weeks ago, and stopped at Rick's.  Interesting enough many of the machines, or pieces that customers had "restored" were all sitting in the show room.  With the exception of a few pieces;  ALL FOR SALE!

I met many people from the crew including Rick himself.  They were very nice, friendly, and showed us around the entire shop. 

I have to admit I have read several posts on this site bashing his craftsmanship, high prices,  etc.  I know they turned the 39 into the 72 BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Remember people this show is built for television, and it based on ratings!  Do you believe everything you see on T.V.?? 

Most of the pieces were pretty nice, I didn't like the Jacobs 26 with the converted Pepsi Theme ( Sorry Pepsi Guys)

A couple of things I noticed lacking detail was the vending stacks, and lift gates.  The kick plates, and a few other small details.
 At the volume they restore I imagine those small details probably aren't a concern.

What is the standard for a restoration?  Shouldn't it be what ever somebody wants to do their machine?   

Now as far as personal experiences I cannot say, but we had a very nice visit, and found the quality was pretty good.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 06:17:51 am »

Slapshot,

Glad you had a nice visit with Rick.

Here it comes........BUT,

It would be an understatment to say that all of these new reality shows, Pawn Stars, American Pickers, American Restorations, etc. have given "the hobby" a shot in the arm and has definitely bolstered our ranks as well as demand and prices commanded for machines and parts.

With all of that said, here's what I view as the crux of the problem. With guys like this parading around on a national stage touting their non-industry standard "restorations", crappy work ethic (staged or real), and completely outrageous prices, it does nothing but hurt the hobby and the trade. Sure, folks that restore for a living might be able to charge more "because Rick does" but does that really help anybody other than the restorer?

What people see and perceive to be true is REALITY, real or false. That's the problem.

IMHO that only leads us down a slippery slide of higher prices with lower quality. As people realize that the standard has been lowered and they don't care because they don't know how it should "really" look, that's when we all lose.

High quality of work, good work ethic with great customer service, I'll pay for that any day!

Brian
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: