SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 12:01:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange Crush Cooler Acquisition - New to all of this.  (Read 7767 times)
Scott

« on: October 04, 2019, 01:16:57 pm »

New to this forum and bought my first cooler this week.   I found an Orange Crush cooler in my local area that popped up on craigslist.  I have never seen one, so bought it.  I have a business with the name "crush" in it and our company color is orange, so I had to have it.  

Now....what to do with it?  Want to keep the patina, but brighten the paint, remove the rust, rewire it and get the cooling system working.

Would like to thank a person named Lonny that helped me.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 01:18:32 pm by Scott » Logged
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 01:24:21 pm »

Awesome find!  Congrats!
Looks like a Pelco Cooler.
And welcome to SMC!

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 02:43:36 pm »

It's rare to see a cooler that age with such nice color, nice find.

The Pelco machine is rare in itself, but what makes it rarer is that prior survivors were cut up and the letters welded into Vendolator 81 machines!  darn

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 08:19:56 pm »

Nice machine, I repaired the cooling system on one of these models about a year ago, it’s a wet or a dry chest,  does yours have the vertical cooling plates dividing the compartments?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:27:11 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 09:21:29 am »

It's rare to see a cooler that age with such nice color, nice find.

The Pelco machine is rare in itself, but what makes it rarer is that prior survivors were cut up and the letters welded into Vendolator 81 machines!  darn

The manufacturer label on the back, says it was made by an elevator company.  Is that the Pelco?
Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 09:23:40 am »

Nice machine, I repaired the cooling system on one of these models about a year ago, it’s a wet or a dry chest,  does yours have the vertical cooling plates dividing the compartments?

It is exactly like yours!  Has some rust on the dividers.  I have a coating company very near my house and am considering getting them and the tub recoated with Zinc (original?)
Scott

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 09:26:07 am »

It is interesting that they would have gone to the effort of adding the scalloped edge along the bottom of it.  I did not notice until looking it over in the garage last night.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 12:31:51 pm »

The manufacturer label on the back, says it was made by an elevator company.  Is that the Pelco?

Yes
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 12:41:01 pm »

Great survivor! And a very hard to find cooler... Some elbow grease and TLC and she should be good to go for another 60 years.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 02:57:26 pm »

It is exactly like yours!  Has some rust on the dividers.  I have a coating company very near my house and am considering getting them and the tub recoated with Zinc (original?)

The one I repaired looked to be galvanized, you’d have to cut all three evaporator plates loose from there supply lines in order to have them replated , then they’d have to be rebrazed back into the system,    It would be cheaper to have them powder-coated ( as well as the tank if it’s solid enough). Be aware that the old Blissfield compressor weighs about 50-lbs by itself,   laugh mine needed replacement anyway.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:02:40 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 06:00:06 pm »

Here is one that has been on ebay for some time now, for what he is asking I can see why. Restored or at least painted. Even though it's Orange Crush which I like, cooler is rather plain with no excitement too it. Embossed logo on front is too small for the size of the box.

As for yours, nice original color so I would clean it up and leave as is. My 2 pennies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Crush-Soda-Chest/283615725445?hash=item4208d08785:g:tt8AAOSw4tldfvMF

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Scott

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 10:42:05 am »

Mine needs to have the bottle opener and cap catcher added back.  Any idea where to find them?
Scott

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 10:43:37 am »

Here is one that has been on ebay for some time now, for what he is asking I can see why. Restored or at least painted. Even though it's Orange Crush which I like, cooler is rather plain with no excitement too it. Embossed logo on front is too small for the size of the box.

As for yours, nice original color so I would clean it up and leave as is. My 2 pennies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Crush-Soda-Chest/283615725445?hash=item4208d08785:g:tt8AAOSw4tldfvMF

That's probably the reason they put the Hamm's sticker on the front (which I am removing somehow without damaging the paint)! laugh
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 02:11:24 pm »

Watch eBay for the opener made by Starr X.. they are on there all the time though try to get an older one as the newer ones seem to have a more rough grainy finish
may have to have the catcher fabricate... maybe someone here that has one can give you pictures and dimentions of their catcher.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
ld26
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 11:38:13 am »

Hey Scott!  Glad you found the site.  Lot of great people on here that can help you out as you work on that cooler. 

Lonny

I love quikold coolers
www.quikold.com
Scott

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 01:54:27 pm »

Hey Scott!  Glad you found the site.  Lot of great people on here that can help you out as you work on that cooler. 

Lonny

Thanks Lonny!  And thank you for your advice!!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: