SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 05:37:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulation and plating  (Read 3130 times)
« on: June 19, 2004, 10:28:09 am »

Howdy all,
I have a couple of restoration questions for you guys (and gals) that could relate to any machine.

My first question:  Has anyone worked on re-insulating their machines to perform with better efficiency?  I currently have a cavalier 72 that cools well enough but then has only a couple of minutes of rest before it clicks back on and has to cool again.  Also, the liner seems to be sweating as I'm getting a bit of condensation dripping ocasionally from a rusty area away from the condensation drain tube.  

I'm interested in possibly trying the spray insulation if it's easy to work with.  I understand that spray foam gives excellent R value but just how badly will it mess up my machine?  Also, how do you apply it?  Is it sprayed on the outside of the liner tub then reassembled?

Next question:  Are there companies that will re-galvanize large parts like the liner from a machine?

Thanks for all your input!
A J

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 09:04:30 pm »

AJ
 I looked into getting some tubs re-galvanized when I
first started collecting. The shops I talked with said this was a hot process and was done when the metal is formed/rolled and that the tubs wouldn't hold up (warp). So most collectors powder coat and have shelves zinc plated (which is about the same thing, I believe, as galvanizing).
Powder coating in silver then a clear coat looks great... Just have the item powder/sand blasted and remove all the rust. Look into zinc plating also, but this  can oxidize like galvanize over time, unless you clear coat it too. I don't know anyone who has had a whole tub or liner zinced but I'm sure it could be done.
Hope that helps.

Eric

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 09:24:50 pm »

I had the liner on my VMC 33 re zinc plated.  It looked great.  Now it is starting to show signs of oxidation.  It has been in use for about 24 months.  I know the next machines I restore will have the liner powder coated.  I think it will hold up better in the long run.
As a matter of fact,  I have a Vendo milk machine and I think it is original and it has a painted / powdercoated liner.  It will go back that way when I restore it.

Marvin
Bob K
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 10:49:48 am »

Eric,
Why not powdercoat the shelves, too?  Is there some advantage to zinc plating them?

Also, how expensive (roughly, of course) is it to powdercoat a tub?

Bob
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 01:57:17 pm »

Hey Bob,
 I think those that want the shelves to look original have them zinc coated. The place near where I live would just run
them through with a big job ( like guard rails along the highways.... those are zinc coated) there is also a clear they
can run them through after they have been zinced, it has a yellow tint to it but it's a protectant for moisture.
The reason I would do shelves zinc coated is that they are run through a bath that strips all the crap and rust off then
everything is coated. But they can't do aluminum cause it would eat the aluminum so be sure when zincing, it's steel
or galvalize tin.

I'm sure every shop's price will be different when it comes to powder coating... a shop near me said it would be about $50
for my 39 tub (both sides)... which Marvin was correct about, some machines tubs were coated/painted. Powder coating would be the way to go for that model for sure, but my 72 and 81 both are galvanized  so I'll probably look into zincing them, if that's possible, then have that yellow-ish clear coat added to. But depends, of course, on pricing.

Has anyone else out there have a preference on shelving...
zinc or powder coating? Or any other method?...

Eric

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: