SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 04:06:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drill out lock  (Read 9200 times)
« on: April 03, 2004, 11:45:16 am »

Hi, new to forum.... I just picked up a Coke machine (vendo) circa 1979 ish, and I remember I saw a "how-to" somewhere on how to PROPERLY drill out the lock to open up the machine (without damaging it!)...This lock is the rectangular push-in screw type.

Cant seem to locate this info now... Can anyone point me in the right direction ??

Thanks!
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 01:56:49 am »

I don't remember seeing an earlier thread on this buthave done the procedure and it's pretty simple.  I have a 1976 Cavalier C6 machine with the same lock you are describing.

Take a look at the lock assembly.  Looking dead-on into the ring-slot (where the key would fit) with a good light source (like a snake light, etc.) you should see the ends of 7 brass pins.  They are equally spaced around the ring-slot.  Use a drill with a small drill bit (small enough to fit into the ring-slot) and drill out each pin.  Being brass they'll drill pretty easily.  Once all seven are drilled the rectangular face piece of the lock should pop out.  Sometimes it may require a small amount of assistance by a flat screwdriver or other prying device but shouldn't take hardly any effort to pop it out.  If it doesn't easily pop then one or more of the pins are still in place.  Re-drill each until you get the lock to pop.  It took me about 20 minutes the first time I did it but I was going slow and being careful not to damage anything other than the pins.
  Once you pop the lock, replace the "innards" (good southern word) with a new lock assembly purchased from any lock-smith.  Usually around $15.00 and comes with two keys.
Let me know if you need more help.

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 08:17:14 pm »

Thanks !   This is the exact info I need....Great forum, and a great source of helpfull info.
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 12:45:21 pm »

Not a problem.  Jim and his merry band of pirates are a HUGE wealth of knowledge and do a great job passing on information.  I'm semi-new to this site but have gained lots of knowledge from it.  It's nice to finally be able to assist someone else and pay-forward some of the help I've received!  Let us know if you run into any problems with the procedure!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 12:17:03 am »

Quote (LOADER @ April 03 2004,12:45)
Hi, new to forum.... I just picked up a Coke machine (vendo) circa 1979 ish, and I remember I saw a "how-to" somewhere on how to PROPERLY drill out the lock to open up the machine (without damaging it!)...This lock is the rectangular push-in screw type.

Cant seem to locate this info now... Can anyone point me in the right direction ??

Thanks!

JUST WONDERING IF YOU GOT YOUR ANSWER. DOE,S THE LOCK TAKE A BARREL KEY? ( ROUND) IF SO ANY LOCKSMITH CAN DRILL THAT OUT FOR A COUPLE BUCKS WITH A SPECIAL DRILL BIT OR PICK IT FOR YOU AND DECODE IT AND MAKE YOU A KEY. NOT A BIG DEAL. GOOD LUCK. HAL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: