SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 04:57:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier Model CGD-C  (Read 6859 times)
Nancy
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:16:24 pm »

I have a Cavalier Coke box, Model # CGC-D that the compressor has quit working. I would like to repair it, but was told it would be very expensive. I am now wondering what to do with it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nancy
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:38:11 pm »

Welcome to the board Nancy. Most of us have been forced to
replace a compressor from time to time and we're not rich, so it can't
be that expensive to fix.  drinking
      Are you sure it's the compressor causing it not to cool or could
it be a wiring or thermostat problem?
      Lastly.........what is a Cavalier CGC-D ? Is it a chest cooler? Can
you post a photo?

Glen
Nancy
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:05:23 pm »

Hi Glen,

Thanks for such a warm welcome. This is the first time I have ever been on a message board, so it is all new. We are trying to download pictures, but all of the files are too big so we are getting out the manual to see how to make a change.

I had a man come out and check out the cooler today and he said the compressor was bad. He tried to hard start it and it wouldn't do that either. He run an antique auction house in our area, so I think he is reputable. He told me he had been working on appliances for 89 years. Maybe that's the problem! Anyway, he cross-referenced what the old compressor number with the new compressor number and told me that a new compressor would be $1100.

I have all kinds of model and serial numbers from the outside of the box and inside. It is a double chest type with the lift up doors on top. It looks like the Cl-10 model on this website but I couldn't find that number anywhere on the box.

I would love to get this fixed but am at a loss at to what to do next. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. We will continue to try and get those pix uploaded and sent.

Thanks again!
Nancy
Nancy
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:20:12 pm »

Here is a picture of the cooler:
SquareTopCollector
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 09:43:36 pm »

welcome to the board

$1100 seems too high, contact Eric at global compressors he can help you
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:35:06 am »

Nancy,

Welcome to SMC!
If the gentleman that checked the refrigeration stated $1100 to fix it, then I would say he is definitely NOT reputable! You could find another cooler of this size and purchase it just for replacing the refrigeration system and it wouldn't cost more than $350, Generally, coolers of this size are cheaper to acquire...
Eric at Global Compressors would be able to narrow down associated costs.
We have a reference photo of the CGD-C in the Soda Machines Section under Cavalier

My six cents,

Jim

dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 02:39:10 pm »

Yes, Eric from Global Compressors is the way to go (his banner ad is at the bottom of the page).  When you talk to him, he will determine the best route to go.  He may suggest just replacing the unit, or he may have you send the old unit to him for a rebuild.  He rebuilt the cooling unit in my Cavalier upright last year. 

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: