SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 06:33:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantasy Jacobs 56  (Read 8066 times)
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:46 am »

I have seen people turn generic VMC 81s into fantasy embossed Orange Crush and Frostie Root Beer machines and sell them for big money, bigger than other 81s except for the ultra-rare RC Cola version.

That got me thinking.  Wouldn't the light-up Jacobs 56 look cool in other version.  Basically, the only thing that identifies it as a Pepsi machine is the light up disc.  With today's CNC technology, I would think it possible to have someone machine a block of plexiglass and make different versions of the disc.  Three version come to mind right away: Dr. Pepper, 7up, and Orange Crush.

The Dr. Pepper version could have the 10-2-4 logo for the disc.  You could paint the cabinet mint green and maybe use a darker green for the coin door and kick plate.  The 7up version would have the 7up logo in the disk and the machine could be painted two tone green or a combination of green and white.  The Orange Crush version could have "Crush" spelled out on the disc and have the rest of the machine painted orange.  A couple of "Crushy" decals on the sides would look cool.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:04:11 pm »

I think it would look great but at the expense of a very collectible machine. With a generic 81 it has to be turned into something. On your idea if you wanted to do a fantasy Jacobs I would do a Coke 26 or 35 and not worry about the light.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:41:38 am »

I think it would look great but at the expense of a very collectible machine. With a generic 81 it has to be turned into something. On your idea if you wanted to do a fantasy Jacobs I would do a Coke 26 or 35 and not worry about the light.

I agree. You are starting out with a very cool (and expensive) machine to start with. It would look cool, but you'd be upside down immediately. If you like it, and have the money..... Post some pics when its done!

Going along with Rays idea, fabricate a "topper" for a Jacobs 26 with the light up plastic sign in whatever flavor you'd like. That would look nice.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:43:13 am by ajf5577 » Logged

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:00:16 am »

I agree.. use a Jacobs 26 or 35.. leave the Pepsi original ones alone... it will only hurt value..

same with fantasy 81's use 81a's...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:19:44 am »

The 35 is probably just as rare as the 56.......... best to stick with the 26.
      Great idea as far as design but unlike the 81, it will still only be a single vend.
      But since so many Jacobs 26's are missing drums and coin mech.s, this would make it a great unit to re-purpose.
      A round light in the door would look nice but may be pretty difficult to incorporate.
      I like the topper idea because bases and globes are already being made for gas pumps.
      The door latch is easy to open and close so it would make a great storage cabinet,.     
      Fantasy themes are unlimited.  happydrinkers

Glen
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 12:06:43 pm »

I think it's pretty easy to be upside down cost-wise restoring a Pepsi Jacobs 56.  If people have paid $12,500 for a fantasy Orange Crush VMC 81, how much would they pay for a fantasy Orange Crush Jacobs 56?  I think the market would be higher for the fantasy machines than the Pepsi machines.  Personally, I don't like the looks of the Jacobs machines and that is why I don't own any of them.
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 02:34:01 pm »

Forget upside-down, it would just be a a sacrilege, pure and simple.  darn
vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 02:48:50 pm »

Sacrilege?  I think that's a little strong.  You would not have done anything to the machine that couldn't be undone.  All you would have to do is repaint it and put the original Pepsi lens back on.  When those fantasy Orange Crush and Frostie 81's were done, something such as an original cooler had to be permanently destroyed for the embossing.  We certainly have seen a lot of unoriginal paint jobs on classic soda machines, gaudy pinstriping, and excessive use of decals before.  The funniest one to me are the decals that have been sold for years that misspell "nickels" as "nickles."  If a guy has multiple Jacobs 56's, why not keep one Pepsi and do something different with the others.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 12:53:47 am »

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, if that is something you want to do then do it. A friend of mine did some fantasy 44', both Vendo and VMC. He did about 3 or 4 flavors so that means 3 or 4 Coke Machines were cut up. I personally wouldn't have done that but the machines looked cool. When he had them on display I doubt he ever looked at them and thought, ok, this fantasy Pepsi 44 is worth x amount of dollars and if it were left a Coke it would be worth x amount of dollars. He enjoyed them and that's what really counts.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 07:18:19 am »

A Dr Pepper would be awesome... the 10-2-4- disc, if you could get one made, would look perfect in it and their green color is classic.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: