SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 12:56:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lesson in trust  (Read 11814 times)
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »

Did you write these people and verify that they were the ones that were selling your designs? 

I think that would be the first thing I would do.   A quick perception check with the person that may have copied, and sold your design.

Sorry Tom, always been helpful on the site. I hope it gets sorted out...
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 05:24:03 pm »

Yes, I did my homework and verified who it was.  I had sent a PM and didn't hear back until after I posted on here.  I'm not going to call them out, it's not going to fix anything to do that.  I don't really care if they keep selling the designs, it's just the principle behind the whole situation.

HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 06:48:55 pm »

Downside it plain sucks. Upside they don't have the skill or imagination to come up with something as good themselves.  Chalk it up to the price of education and keep up the good work.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 07:53:34 pm »

Tom,

I'm very sorry to hear this happened, especially from another SMC member ! ! !
I am really ashamed with the recent turn of events with everything at SMC ! ! ! With that said, I would like very much to know, as would several other members, who this person is so this type of activity can be brought to everyone's attention!  SMC has grown over the years, endured some ups and downs with differences of opinions, but by doing nothing only encourages others at some point to abuse their SMC Integrity, something that has endured over the years until recent events!
I hope you agree with me!

My six cents,

Jim

memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 08:37:57 pm »

Hey Dave, all good here, My deal was I was doing a machine for a customer and told an old friend about it & he told his buddy to do his machine how I was doing mine & he would supply the decals and gave him my customers name, then tried to sell his machine to my customer. My customer didn't buy it and thinks both these guys are low and underhanded.
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 11:09:30 pm »

I don't see anything wrong with reverse engineering something you see and trying to build it yourself, it happens all the time.  But to contact someone to ask then how they created a unique product, then copy it for resell is pretty low.  Would not be that big of a deal if they sold them locally or in their own little antique mall booth, but to compete side by side on Etsy and even try to undercut on price ---  WEASEL!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 11:47:22 pm »

Tom,
As you have found there is never a dull moment in selling original art. It will get copied. Offered for less etc...
This will happen.
Only thing I can offer is provide the best possible customer service towards making a one of kind pieces
and explain why the "Lessor" price items are inferior. Strong money in custom builds.

Best of luck!!
Creighton

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 10:42:40 am »

Sorry for your bad lesson learned Tom. That really sucks...Your lamps are really cool!

However, I too am getting tired of not calling people out on this site. It seems like many members walk on eggshells and won't name the guilty culprit.

Why is that?  Is it for fear of repercussion?  We would all be better off knowing who we shouldn't deal with...c'mon everyone...grow some b's!

People had no problem calling out an SMC Sponsor to point out his bad business habits.. what the difference here?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 12:34:46 pm »

Sorry to hear the news.

Did the person take their items off the same site your on yet ? After all this, or are they still selling them ?

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 04:47:32 pm »

To bring everyone up to speed & to put this thread to rest for the most part, the two parties involved have talked and come to a reconciliation of sorts...
And as far as I know, the items have been removed from the sellers' venue.

Moving forward, as our membership grows, we will begin to see/hear increased instances where questionable behavior shows its ugly head...
Do not think for a moment that I approve or condone this type of activity!  I can only hope that we keep SMC as honorable and respectable in the coming months and years as we have for the previous ten years.  It's up to us keep our standards high, be ethical and not infringe on others' way of life!
Remember what brought us together, collectible soda machines and related collectibles ! ! !
Sure, bring some of life's triumphs & tribulations into the mix, but at the same time, keep things simple...

Thank you for listening...

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: