SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:26:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 Miles for the Cure  (Read 3933 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: July 11, 2014, 03:17:22 pm »

SMC Friends,

I am sure that many have wondered why I have pink hair in my profile picture.  That is because I am what is known among the breast cancer awareness community as a pink warrior.  In three weeks, I will be participating in my fifth Ride for the Cure for the benefit of Komen Mid-Michigan.  I will be riding 100 miles in mid Michigan on August 2nd to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer research and prevention.

I have been a big fundraiser for Komen ever since my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008.  In our case we were lucky because her cancer was caught early and she is now more than five years cancer free.  Unfortunately, I have many friends who have not been as fortunate and some of them are living with stage IV metastatic breast cancer.  This will be my 12th Komen event over the last five years and I will continue to fundraise for the Cure until no woman (or man--yes men get breast cancer) has to hear the words, "You have breast cancer."

Please support my ride if you can because everyone deserves a lifetime. Here is the link:

http://midmichigan.info-komen.org/goto/Tim2014

Thank you in advance for your support whether it be financial or otherwise.

drinking Tim drinking
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:50:33 am »

Good luck to you.

Although I know of breast cancer I never really knew the process of what one goes though once they have it until last week. I was having dinner with a friend who was diagnosed with it in 2006. It was a 2 year process for her and was amazed of what she had to go through, pure hell. Now when I see the Pink Ribbon it means so much more.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:09:20 pm »

Too many of us have gone through it, or know someone close who has. 

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with bladder cancer, which fortunately for me ended up being benign.  I was lucky to not have to go through any chemo or radiation since the tumor was benign, but the mere possibility of it was quite a life changer.   A good friend of mine at the age of 23 was diagnosed with testicular cancer.  He went through 6 months of hell and is over 10 years cancer free now.

Good luck on your ride Tim - I'm happy to help sponsor you.

-Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:57:13 pm »

Jim,

Thank you for supporting the ride!

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 03:04:00 pm »

Good luck to you.

Although I know of breast cancer I never really knew the process of what one goes though once they have it until last week. I was having dinner with a friend who was diagnosed with it in 2006. It was a 2 year process for her and was amazed of what she had to go through, pure hell. Now when I see the Pink Ribbon it means so much more.

Goose--you got that right!  My wife was diagnosed in 2008.  Two surgeries, full year of chemo plus seven weeks of radiation.  She is now more than five years all clear and still has several side effects of the chemotherapy that she has to deal with on a daily basis.  The good news is that she is a survivor and is living everyday to the fullest!  CANCER SUCKS!

My friends who are dealing with Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer go through that chemo hell on a daily basis just to keep living in hopes of a cure.  Sadly, they all know that when the doctors run out of chemo cocktails that can keep their cancer at bay, they will not be with us much longer.  Those are the women that I keep riding and fund-raising for.  They never complain and always have a smile on their face.  They are all my heros!

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:44:02 pm »

Thank you for your support, Ken Barrett! happydrinkers

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:46:14 pm »

The 100 Mile Ride for the Cure starts at 7AM tomorrow morning.  I am just shy of the number two fundraising spot.  Definitely would appreciate any last minute support!  Help me save the (o)(o)!

http://midmichigan.info-komen.org/goto/Tim2014

Thanks in advance for your support!

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:47:27 am »

The Ride for the Cure was a tremendous success with the riders raising over $75,000 for breast cancer screening and research.  I knocked out the 100 mile ride in right around 6 hours.  I ended up being the third highest fundraiser at $4,497.  We had great weather for the event--although the roads were not in the greatest of shape which is typical for Michigan.

Thanks again for your support!

drinking Tim drinking
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 01:01:39 pm »

Well done Tim - congratulations on a great ride for a great cause!

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: