SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 01:46:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project - VMC 81 Pepsi  (Read 31050 times)
Pat Pixley
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »

Hey Brian how it going so far ??    smile it has been a little bit  smile
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:44:31 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 02:05:03 pm »

I have been really busy with birthday parties and a school for the military over the past weeks. I havent had a chance to touch it for about 2 weeks!! down Such is life though! I'll get back to it shortly and will post something when I do, I promise!  biggrin

Brian
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 06:07:31 am »

Welp, I don't have any new pictures to add but I have been working on the machine! I have been doing a lot of prepatory media blasting (iron oxide) prior to getting things plated and painted. Instead of using hammertone paint, I am going to be using chrome , where appropriate and the following: Clear Zinc plating, Yellow Zinc plating and, powdercoating

Last Friday I sent off a few peices to be chromed and zinc plated. I am trying a new place in Illinois and will let you guys know in a seperate thread how things turned out. I have spoken to the owner of the company a couple of times and he seems very knowledgable. The biggest (and most important!) part I sent him was my recently acquired VMC Coin Entry Bezel. He quoted me $40 to chrome it, what a great price!! I can't wait to see the results. His current turn-around time is 4 weeks which is pretty typical for a busy shop.

Other than that, I should be receiving my refrigeration deck back from restoration any day now and will post pictures of that as well. Springtime here in Indiana is a rainy affair and I haven't had a chance to blast the big painted parts like the main door and the body.

Question: If the the machine needs a little body work, do you guys blast, flash prime, bodywork and then prep and prime? or do you bang out any dents then blast, do body work (putty) then final sand, prep and prime? I've seen it done a few different ways. I'm open to all suggestions.

For kicks, I'll have a few local body/collision repair shops run a quote for me for all body work, primer and paint. I will then have them break down the (3) seperately for pricing. Even though I like to do as much myself as possible, I realize than not everybody goes that route. Maybe this will help give people a raw number to work with if they want to go the "full" body shop route.

Brian
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 09:06:22 am »

For kicks, I'll have a few local body/collision repair shops run a quote for me for all body work, primer and paint. I will then have them break down the (3) seperately for pricing. Even though I like to do as much myself as possible, I realize than not everybody goes that route. Maybe this will help give people a raw number to work with if they want to go the "full" body shop route.

I am going to be doing that with my Westy S-O-M and it will be interesting to compare the prices we get across the country.
I too am curious about blast before body work and the generally accepted procedure.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 11:10:52 am »

I always blast first. Tin bang and then fill where needed/new metal and prime.

Always buying "off brand" machines and ice chests
Constant buyer of vmc 33-3D's & Jacobs 26
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2010, 02:24:41 pm »

First update in a while!

As of yesterday, my machine has been comletely sandblasted and I will hopefully pick it up this afternoon after work if all goes well. I am coordinating getting it painted at the same time! I will post some pitures of the machine later.

Brian
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2010, 03:43:49 pm »

Talked to Alan Huffman today. Told me that he was finishing up my refrigeration deck and would be shipping it out via UPS on Monday the 5th of July along with a case of soda pop with the shipping paid for! I'm excited to see what it looks like!  biggrin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:41:53 am by BrianB » Logged

Brian
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2010, 06:45:57 am »

Finally got around to snapping a few quick pictures of the machine post-sandblasting.

Brian
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2010, 06:48:16 am »

Remarkable how pronounced that embossing looks whit the entire door blasted.  Can't wait to see the finished product!

drinking Tim drinking
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 06:09:47 am »

Yeah, I too was struck by how nicely that clean, paint free embossing "popped". I'm really excited to see it in paint!!

Brian
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: