SMC Discussion Areas
May 08, 2024, 08:30:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT....is this??  (Read 8568 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 06:48:37 am »

Can you imagine seeing someone do that?!? 

They did the same to all the slot machines back in the 30's, 40's or 50's.  I remember seeing pictures of these guys destroying slots and dumping them in the lake or ocean.  I don't remember if the pictures were from New York or Chicago, but anyway a lot of Watlings and Mills met an early watery grave.   

The funny part of the pictures is seeing guys posing proudly next to the ruins like one would stand next to a buck after shooting it during a hunt.

A lot of stuff.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 08:23:09 am »

I've told the story before, but since where one topic. My Grandfather and his brothers owned 3 bottling plants after the war up until 1989 when they sold the whole lot. My Father worked there since a kid and was the sales manager of our local plant for years. Coke was our life growing up, Pepsi was a swear word in our house!
but the stories of tossing stuff, I'd hear would make you sick, when I started collecting I was able to get about 5-6 original advertising items out of the old plant and my fathers basement, just stuff they hung onto as they thought it was kinda neat.  Then to hear my Grandfather tell of the getting rid of inventory. Coke would send out a book (we've all seen them) with the new era advertising , they would order a bunch of the slogan stuff and then send My Dad and some of the other guys upstairs to the ad room and clean the out the shelves, they would haul it all to the dump. Same for old machines...

But Like Tom said, if this did not happen, we would not have the Hobby we know and love today! so it's bitter sweet!!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 11:25:17 pm »

Well I won the machine today for $25.00 I wonder how bad she really is??

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 11:38:10 pm »

Hope some parts can be saved. Nasty buisness when zinc or galv. is heated to smoker temps with food inside.
Creighton

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:39:55 pm by Creighton » Logged
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 11:50:50 pm »

Well at least the bottle door and side stainless are worth more than you paid for it. Good deal. If you could save that Vendo 56 with the completely rusted out bottom you can fix this.
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 11:52:55 pm »

Well I picked it up today, This is a cakewalk compared to the one with the rusted out bottom. The cabinet with the exception of the hole for the smoke stack is in very nice condition. Front door needs some work but still savable. Well worth $25.00 one of the best roundtop buys ive had.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up