SMC Discussion Areas
May 08, 2024, 06:56:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when did a coke go from 5c to 10  (Read 4989 times)
sodahere
10 Cent Member

« on: February 04, 2008, 11:35:03 am »

What year did a coke go from 5 cent to 10 or did it go 5 7 10 ?
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:21:30 pm »

I'm not trying to avoid a direct answer; however, this is difficult due to geographical price differences.
There's many instances where we see vending pricing set at .05. This is most evident prior to the mid 50's with 1955 possibly being an average year of the price increases... I cannot confirm whether the increase to .06 and even .07 was directly for the soda product or glass manufacturing...

My six cents,

Jim

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:25:54 pm »

I've seen a few six cent and a few seven cent machines before.  Has anyone ever heard of an eight or nine cent machine??? 

Here is a picture of my VMC-72.  I think that it was from 1954.  I'm not sure, I wasn't there when it was made.  Someone mentioned that the side logos changed from "Here's a Coke for you" to "Have a Coke" back in 1955.  I don't know if that is true either.  Maybe someone can clarify that. 

Anyway, my machine has an original 5c indentation under this 6c screening or decal.  I don't think that it's a decal, I believe it is painted on.

So if I was a betting man, I would guess 1955 or 1956.

A lot of stuff.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:26:06 am »

Nice pic! I've never heard of an 8 or 9 cent machine before either. I guess the bottlers figured 10 cents would get them a better return. Inflation, inflation, inflation....

Mills, just wondering, could I have the base from your Popperette??   biggrin

Brian
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:27:37 am »

I've had a Vendo 39 with a 7 cent logo painted on it ,and it had a 7 cent foilcal on it as well.
COin mech was set to 10 cents however... It came out of Canada , and that was what I was told was the price at the time?

Also, this was an original Machine,, not a repaint... but notice how the Drink and In Bottles was not painted, only the Coke... It was original and not repainted, as I checked thouroughly... I was told that in Canada for while they could not use the word Drink in advertising?? and I 've seen that on a lot of Canadadian advertising signs from the same era??? anyone know anything about that ?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 09:30:32 am by SIGNGUY » Logged

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 12:41:23 pm »

Brian,

Sure you can have the stand.  It only sits there anyway! laugh

Signguy,

What's a foilcal?  Is it shiny or does it look like paint?  Just trying to figure out what's on top of my original 5c section of the Coke machine.

A lot of stuff.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:57:38 pm »

Thats the decal with the price on it that is mounted on the Coin entry bezels... I've just always heard of them referred to as foilcal's as they are decal but printed on a foil type of material. See photo

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 06:51:36 pm »

I need help posting some pictures !! My friend Harrison (sodaman) bought a Jacobs 26 with 2 coin slots !! one for a penny and one for nickel ? Strange....

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:23:05 pm »