SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 02:34:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making your own cooling unit  (Read 2454 times)
Zach
25 Cent Member

« on: December 24, 2010, 01:37:52 am »

I've been looking into getting a new cooling unit for my 81, but the prices for new ones are scary. How could I make my own? I know it can be done, I see Grainger has compressors, but I cant find anything else for it, anyone got any ideas? I mite get one from GC but would really like to learn how to do this kind of stuff.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 03:59:44 am »

Sure you can build your own. The reason the prices are scary is it is not cheap to do. At least a couple of years of school to be certified. Minimum of 2k for pro grade equipment. E&O insurance etc...
Could maybe hack together something that would work for awhile with Harbor Freight gauges and such. Your choice.

My compressor from GC has been running 24/7 for 6 yrs. If it ever acts up, I know Eric will be very reasonable on sorting out what needs to be done.

You gets what you pay for and time/effort=benefit are considerations.

Creighton 
vintage-air
10 Cent Member

Restoring America...1 machine at a time!

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:24:30 am »

Or you could find a square top machine that is running and use the cooling system out of it for your machine. Sometimes you can get these dirt cheap and with a little effort, have a great cooling unit that will run forever. Let us know what you do!

RC-81
Pepsi -81
Coca Cola 81-D's
Vendo 39's
Vendo 44's
WD-12's
WH5-T
Westinghouse Junior
Victor 3 door cooler
Lots of picnic coolers... RC, Grapette, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange Crush
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 09:39:33 am »

Yep. I have a spare square top 81 cooling system I will end you but dont try to do it yourself. I tried it once and quickly learned that it is not as easy as it sounds. There is a lot of science there and I even have an aeronautical engineering degree..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: