SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 12:07:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quikold D-120?  (Read 4278 times)
hale87

« on: April 28, 2010, 07:47:28 am »

Hi guys, the name is Dean Hale and I live in South, West-Central PA. Always wanted to have one of these chest types of soda machines, and finally found one that I felt was worth taking home. After numerous hours of searching the net, trying to identify the type, your page finally identified it. At least I think I have it identified correctly?  Don't really need too much for it. Does anyone no where to turn for a cap catcher either new or reproduced? Another question would be, what brand of bottle cap remover should be on it?

Good to meet you guys, and thanks for any help you can give me.

Chedki
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:55:16 am »

Eric on this board would know as he had one made for his Quikold Junior. By the way, is your Quikold still running ?

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:58:04 am »

Welcome to the site!  Great looking cooler!  I like those Quikolds, and there are other fans among us here!  You found a great site with some fantastic folks to help you with just about anything you will need in building your collection.   biggrin  Be careful, they multiply!

I'm not sure of sources for what you ask, but there are others smarter than myself that will chime in soon!  You can always check our sponsors, as they have a lot of great parts!

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:34:07 am »

Nice Cooler ! ! !
It does not appear the lettering is embossed(raised), is it...?
It does look like a D-120 w/o the sliding lids; your lids are hinged lids. Perhaps it was manufactured with both style of lids because your gasket looks correct for the lid style you have on this cooler.

And Welcome to SMC ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:40:34 am »

the bottle open looks to be a star-x,  readily availble for mthe suppliers here, or Greed Bay
 Welcome to the site

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:44:14 am »

Nice master cooler.. Early-mid 40s...I have this one in Orange Squeeze...missing so much I'm gonna restore as a standard size.
LOVE Quikolds... You're missing the S&S Opener they used on these... HARD to find... I need one for my Grapette Quikold... I had some cap catchers made a couple years back and am out.. thinking of getting some more made they were $25 each.. But I had 6 or 8 made at the time... Fun-Tronics makes that exact rubber gasket... and they advertise here.... so grab that.... a StarrX
opener would work till an original comes your way.....
Are you going to restore?

And welcome and Stick around want to see this when you're finished...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
hale87

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 12:34:35 pm »

Thanks for your input guys.
I've already spoke to the local autobody shop about painting it.
They recently painted a vintage Whestinghouse frig for me. There's a chase in the back of this unit, but I don't think it was for liquid and gas lines. Will need to investigate further. Just got the thing Saturday. What would you guys suggest for painting the logo? Keep the Big Boy or would you have something custom cut? The galzanized pan on the inside seems to be in pretty good shape as well. What to you guys "normally" do on the inside? I also purchased a Tokheim gas pump last fall, so I've got two projects to work on, but considering the cooler's in much better shape it might be the place to start.  Spent a long tiime looking for these two items, then both show up in less than a year. Go figure. One more basic question,,,,,,, the hardware on the doors and hinges have over spray on them. Any suggestions on removing it?

Thanks for the help....
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:22:56 pm »

Glad to have you on the board, our resident quikold expert, Eric has already chimed in, so he pointed you in the right direction.
as far as restoration, alot is up to you... The brand it's in now, I'm unfamalier with , maybe something regional? obviously it's up to you to do what you'd like with it, pick your favorite brand,flavor and do it up that way... it's not embossed so you can do whatever youd want with it..
If your going to get it painted by the local body shop, you'll be taking it all apart anyways.. so you cna clean up the tub and if you want it to look nicer, you could look into powder coating it or go the easy and less expensive route of painting it with a rustoleum product called Hammertone paint, You can do a search on this site for a thread regarding that.
The hardware you'll have off, so I'd put them to a wirewheel or wire brush or sandblaster and get them cleaned up and you can either paint them, or look into getting them replated or chromed , that would look sharp!

Hope this helps.. take photos along the way and keep us posted!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:08:50 pm »

Is the compressor still in it?... As far as painting it... do anything but Coca-Cola...
Quikold was for the little guys... If that is a brand that was big in your area.. I'd go
with that. Here is one that was on ebay a few years back... same model as yours with
the letters embossed...

And if you decide you want to sell it... let me know... It has all the parts
my embossed Orange Squeeze of that same model needs. As you can see she's rough!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: