SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 06:17:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: removing rust stains from a painted sign  (Read 3205 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: June 10, 2012, 10:08:08 pm »

I finally got all the parts to start my restoration on my gas pump and the first thing that I would like to do is clean up the faceplates and I was wondering if anyone knew how I can remove some rust stains from them. I origionally thought they were porcelain coated but after putting a small drop of paint stripper on the back side where no one can see it to test I figured out that they were actually painted. Other than the rust stains they are in really nice shape so I would really like to clean them up instead of stripping them down and repainting them.

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:23:12 pm »

Well the boys on oldgas lean towards hot soapy water followed by a light buff with Mother's Wheel Polish. That rust looks deep. Not a whole lot you can do with painted.
I'd take good pics first. Clean them up in photoshop up and have decals made. T-way may already have what you need. Sand and fill the metal and repaint.
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:17 am »

Well the boys on oldgas lean towards hot soapy water followed by a light buff with Mother's Wheel Polish. That rust looks deep. Not a whole lot you can do with painted.
I'd take good pics first. Clean them up in photoshop up and have decals made. T-way may already have what you need. Sand and fill the metal and repaint.
Creighton

Yeah that rust is a little deeper than I thought it was. I did try a little bit of baking soda and that worked out pretty good without damaging the paint so I might end up doing that. Just need to wash the parts first to see how they look without all that dirt on them.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:45:31 am »

Here is what the part looks like after some scrubbing with baking soda and a power wash at the car wash. There are still a few rust stains and some rust but I ran out of baking soda in the middle of doing this but I still think it looks pretty good compared to what it was like before
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: