SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 08:57:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help on my VF-63 Compressor removal  (Read 10150 times)
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« on: March 08, 2011, 04:08:24 pm »

I've gotten my USS-8-64 cleaned up and working and now I'm moving on to my V-63.  Anyone interested, can check out the USS pics aswell as the selection decal magnets I made at this post; http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,12745.10.html#lastPost . (not sure that link worked)

I'm cleaning out my VF-63 and it looks like I want to remove the compressor unit to clean under it.  Really the evaporator unit. ( I think that's the part in the cooling tub?) I did a search here and found a thread talking about it, but all the photo links were dead ends. It was an old thread from 2005.  Any help or suggestions would be great.  Here are some pics.  my initial investigation I found that some of the sheet metal screws holding the evap in place were stripped out. can I get under the tub to replace it with a bolt/nut? also anybody know how many screws/bolts hold in the two units?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:58:03 am by Jim » Logged

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:25:00 pm »

You might want to build a stand like the ones here so that you don't end up kinking any lines. http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,11222.0.html I think for my machine it had maybe 6 or so (maybe a few more) sheet metal screws that held the evaporator to the bottom of the tub and there were a few in the back and I think the only thing I had in the bottom was a nut that held the compressor deck down to the floor of the machine and two tabs in the back. Was pretty easy to remove just a little awkward to move. Also be careful reaching under the compressor deck because I know on mine that they used two sharp nails to hold down the metal tag to the compressor deck on my machine.
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:13:57 pm »

If possible you can use a little bigger screws, I had to do that on one of my machines.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:33:30 pm »

I reduced the size of the rusted out holes with epoxy, I'll see if the screws "bite" when I try to put it all back together. If not I'll go to bigger screws.  Right now I'm cleaning an repainting the interior of the box, both the cooler and compressor sections.  If I get a couple warm dry days, I can finish the painting.  I'm carefully trying to clean the evaporator and condenser fins and using brasso on the copper. I might try to paint the compressor tank and the base but, I think I'll leave the tubing as is. I don't want to affect the heat transfer.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:50:50 pm »

Here are some updated photos of my VF-63 clean-up.  I'm going to Hammertone the tray area then it'll be ready to reinstall the Compressor and vending rack.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 03:56:17 pm »

That looks great! The bottom there really cleaned up!
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 06:41:09 pm »

For rusted-out evap' mounting holes I've used "well-nuts" , these are rubber plugs with captured steel nuts inside that expand when they are tightened with the corresponding screw/bolt...think of it as an expanding wall-anchor for sheet metal...they are available at almost all hardware stores...they come in a variety of sizes from #6-24 up to about 1/4-20 thread ( USA)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:49:10 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 07:00:17 pm »

Thanks, johnieG, I'll look for those when I reassemble everything.  Thanks scalebowler, I scrubbed the bottom with CLR and a wire-brush. Then some 220 grit emery paper. Finally I used the POR-15 and coated it to prevent future rust and to fill in some of the unevenness caused by the rust flaking that I wire-brushed away.  I just sprayed it with Hammertone and it looks great. I'll try to get a pic of that up tomorrow.  I put up another post looking for info on fixing door liners, if anyone has any ideas.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:39:18 pm by johnieG » Logged

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 07:13:38 pm »

Here's the photo after the Hammertone.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
rcat8872

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 03:37:13 pm »

Looks great!  Looking at doing the same with a V63 that I picked up cheap.  Did you have to support the evaporator when pulling the cooling unit out...or did you just pull it out and then support it somehow when you were doing the paint work?

1943 Victor C-18 rolltop
Vendorlator VF-56
Vendo V63
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: