SMC Discussion Areas
May 16, 2024, 11:54:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulation plan  (Read 4094 times)
dprat1
« on: November 19, 2005, 09:21:11 am »

Greetings,
I will be insulating and setting the tub later today for my C-51. Was planning to glue some 1/2" pink foam board to the exterior of the tub and then use 3 1/2" unbacked fiberglass. Has anyone here done that before? Good idea....bad idea?
Thanks,
doug
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:32:02 am »

Dprat,

I used the foam board about 1" thick. Then DucK Tape the Seams them used 3" Insluation. Good Luck,

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 10:54:48 pm »

I used backless R13 fiberglass (Seating the tub trick). Think it provides better coverage and fills the spaces easier than the board.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 12:53:15 am »

Having read this chain of posts and the posts linked to it about installing the tub.  Why remove the paper backing from the insulation?  And the cardboard shoehorns.  Why not plastic sheeting that is left in place as a vapor barrier
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 11:33:20 am »

That was my question also... was told it's more susceptible to mold & mildew.  Never thought about plastic sheeting, although with only metal surfaces maybe it isn't required??  I do know that the machines were originally made with fiberglass, no paper and no plastic.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
dprat1
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 09:52:09 pm »

Interesting replies,, I was not able to find the time this weekend to install the tub as planned. The Mrs. had other plans and tasks for me this weekend. Actually, was not quite done getting things ready for winter and figured time was running out. Sounds like the weather is going to take a turn for the worse here later this week.
My plan to glue foam board to the exterior of the tub is with the intent to help keep the tub exterior from sweating or condensating. Kinda like wrapping a hot or cold water pipe to keep it from sweating. Then fill the rest of the interior cabinet with fiberglass insulation. With the foam board, I do not think it would matter if the fiberglass was paper backed or not. I do know that fiberglass insulation needs to breath and that compacting it will not only decrease its R value but also contribute to moisture retention. I think sealing with plastic would retain the moisture and lead to problems vs the foam board directly on the surface to insulate. Thinking realistically, this machine has survived quite well the past 50 years as it was. I can not say as much for my electric bill...so I think economy is more an issue that preservation. I don't think I will care about this when I'm 99 yeras old...god willing....right:) My bottom line......I think directly insulating the tub with foam board to keep the moisture in check from the fiberglass and then just enough fiberglass to fill the cabinet would be the most efficient. Hummm...getting long winded here.......sorry.
doug

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: