SMC Discussion Areas
May 01, 2024, 07:36:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slider---again  (Read 8537 times)
firemun
« on: March 18, 2005, 11:57:36 am »

In regards to disassembling the Ideal 55, the bake a lite/plastic strips around the top of the tank, that fit under the gaskets (breaker strips??) are held by a chrome looking completely smooth front side rivet.  You can see the "squashed" back side of the rivet on the back of the strip.  Anyone know where to get these and a part # (i.e. McMaster).  Or is this something screwy on my machine and the orginal was something else.  Steve at Funtronics was not familiar with this set up...or I did such a poor job explaining he didn't know what I was talking about which makes me wonder?

I can attach a photo if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks for any help.
jeff
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 10:03:38 pm »

Quote (firemun @ Mar. 18 2005,11:57)
In regards to disassembling the Ideal 55, the bake a lite/plastic strips around the top of the tank, that fit under the gaskets (breaker strips??) are held by a chrome looking completely smooth front side rivet.  You can see the "squashed" back side of the rivet on the back of the strip.  Anyone know where to get these and a part # (i.e. McMaster).  Or is this something screwy on my machine and the orginal was something else.  Steve at Funtronics was not familiar with this set up...or I did such a poor job explaining he didn't know what I was talking about which makes me wonder?

I can attach a photo if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks for any help.
jeff

Yes, please do post a 'Pic. I believe they are just the same as the "blind" round headed fasteners used to hold the plastic door liner on some of my 60's vendos, they just "snap" into a hole to hold up the breaker strips & door liner on my machines, (they look like an over-sized thumb-tack) I'll try to sneek a peek at my RC Cola Ideal 55 & my Nessitts 55B & see whats holding in thier strips in the A.M....

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
glassbottlesrule
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 01:31:41 am »

The 55 I took apart used screws.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 09:01:30 am »

Definately post a photo!

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 10:43:44 am »

These breaker strips are held on by screws on top (under the gasket), and below with "pound rivets" flanged at the rear.
       They could be replaced with stainless steel screws with nuts, or a 1/4 " pop rivet would look uniform.

Glen
firemun
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 07:30:29 pm »

Hey Folks,
Here are the photos.  I have spotted several things from McMaster that could possibly substitute...but if anyone knows for sure what these are called, that would help a great deal.  I guess the big question is… is what I have OEM or has this Slider been overhauled at another time?

BTW, I just bought another Slider today, an embossed Coca Cola off of an EBAY live auction…hope I didn’t make a big mistake… I have had several folks tell me the embossed ones are good ones to get even though they are a little more costly to purchase.

Thanks for info, you guys have a wealth of knowledge like no other.

Here is a photo of one of the strips.
Jeff

firemun
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 07:32:10 pm »

OK, here is a closer one of the rivet.
firemun
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 07:33:01 pm »

And the last one, the front of the rivet.

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 07:43:55 pm »

The embossed Coke slider is the one to keep. Truely rare and will hold value

Glen
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 09:08:16 pm »

Jeff,

I don't recall the actual name for this type of rivet, but if you have found something similar in the same size, you can carefully drill from the back until the back of the rivet pops off, then stop drilling. Now you can remove the rivet(s) and work with the metal bracket and the bake-lite trim separately.

When replacing the rivets, I specially ground a punch to curl the rivets back so it would hold the pieces together. I would lay the rivet head on a small block of oak and lightly tap the punch until it curled back until the peices were snug. This process is very similar to the way VMC mounted bottle openers on some models, such as the 27, Dual 27 and the 33's; they utilized a counter-sunk rivet. If they have a hand tool, I recommend purchasing it if it isn't too expensive...

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: