SMC Discussion Areas
May 01, 2024, 10:00:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint restoration  (Read 3525 times)
« on: August 14, 2004, 10:40:54 am »

I just purchased a Vendo 23 machine that is in fairly good condition.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up and restore the natural paint/finish without damaging the original paint?  Since the paint is in good shape I would rather not re-paint.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 08:26:45 pm »

I am wondering the same thing. Could somone please answer this.
What can we use to was the painted surface without damaging it at all? Windex? Dish soap? Goo Gone?
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 05:14:54 am »

I'll take a stab at this one and I'm sure others will join with corrections and additions :-) It is basically like restoring the paint on a car.

Best way to start is with very hot water and clean cotton rags. I use "car wash in a bottle" type cleaner doesn't seem to leave as much residue as dishsoap. Just wipe and rinse until the outside grime is off. Change water/rags often. No point in moving the dirt from A to B.

Anything that doesn't come off after this (tar/grease/paint) try rubbing alchol. Check first on an area not visible to make sure it doesn't remove the orginal paint.

Soap and rinse again to remove any residue. If all seems well use a chamini <=(not spelled right, tan colored auto accessary) to remove water streaks.

If the paint is faded polishing compound may be required. go easy. Then buy the best multi-step car wax compound you can afford. McQuires 3 step works well. Follow all directions.

The big thing is not to force surface muck any further into the orginal paint. Get it clean before any polishing/waxing.

Hope this helps and sorry I can't spell :-)
Creighton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: