SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 04:22:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I the only Journey fan  (Read 12392 times)
jasmine64
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 11:18:33 am »

Did anyone see Sundays morning news?

If not here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89_2UivtEhs

Marsha

Cav. CD 22
Choice Vend 168 - Use daily.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 12:45:10 pm »

happydrinkers Long Live Journey..

WHat a Great story... watch the interview... I think he's dead on with the sound... and to me.. the lead singer IS the sound of the band.. Similar to what AC/DC did when they went from Bon Scott to Brian Johnson... the Sound is everything.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 02:13:34 pm »

As the Who once said......"It's the singer not the song, That makes the music move along,
I want you to join together with the band."  I never was a big fan of Journey, but they did have some decent songs.  I just always wondered why the guitar was always way in the background, like in Wheel in the Skys, instead of up front. 

I watched the news clip and the replacement singer does have the sound and energy that Perry had.  I think it will work out well for them, but I have to disagree with the replacement of Bon Scott from AC/DC.  Bon Scott was more that a raspy singer, he was an excellent street poet too.  "She had the face of an angel smiling with sin, the body of Venus with arms."  The Back in Black album was excellent, but I think AC/DC fell short of achieving that perfection again after that album.

Another replacement that I didn't care for was when Deep Purple's Ian Gillan was replaced by David Coverdale.  They still had some good tunes, but it's never the same. 

There's a ton of replacements that either improved the band, changed their direction, or just stunk.

What bands do you think improved by changing their singer???

Do you like Van Halen or Van Hagar?Huh?Huh???

A lot of stuff.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 08:59:48 am »

I agree that the AC/DC Change wasn't and exact replica, but the sound of the Johnson, worked with band and they where albe to continue on and make albums, sell out concerts etc.. 
Now when we talk about Van Halen!!! (PS my favorite Rock band of the 80's mind you!), Here is a case where I love both old and New.. I love the original Van Halen, and when Roth left, I continued to like Roth on teh Eat am and smile album and even Skyscraper.

Now I also at the time liked the Red Rocker... so when he Join Van Halen... I was like COOL.. my favorite band along with another great Singer (Red Rocker), this will work... Not a case of replacing a sound, but being able to continue the band...

So in that case.. .I like both of them..  Until the Gary Cherone fiasco... now that is when it stopped for me!

I got the opportunity to meet Van Halen at a Back stage Even in 1991... I got a photo that I'll post as it's pretty funny... I was taller than every guy in the band!!!

Long Live 80's ROCK!!!!

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 10:54:36 am »

I agree with the whole Van Halen scenario.  I saw VH back in 79 or 80, those years are a bit blurry.  I saw Sammy Hagar, twice, once at Soldier field, where he climb the scaffling and swung around across the top of the stage to the other side, like he was on monkey bars,  What a mad man he was back then.  I also saw him as the opening band for the Scorpions Love Drive tour.  That still ranks as my favorite show ever.  Sammy came back for three or four oncores, this assured me that the Scorps would play their best.

I'd like to see the fifth member of the band, John Halen.  Post the pic!!  The only people I ever met was Bob "Bozo" Bell, William Shatner, Ozzy Osbourne, Roger Ebert, the new Bozo, and Bo Diddley.  No pictures though.

I better mention something about Journey, since I'm on the Journey thread......they're O.K.

A lot of stuff.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 08:08:35 pm »

Ok,
here is the Pic,... Keep in mind this was in 92 when the clothes I was wearing where IN! and rolled up jeans where still cool in minneapolis, at least I thought so.. And for those members that don't know me.. I'm the one on the left with my arm around EDDY VAN HALEN.. .Yeah.. it was an extreme high to meet the legend! I'm 5'11 and my buddin in the middle is 6'4" we where both bigger than all four members of the band!! the other people where winners of a radio contest that I brought backstage with me as I was the marketing director of a Minneapolis Radio station back then, and got to do all the Meet and Greets. Got to meet a lot of artists that came through Minneapolis in the Mid 90's.

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 08:11:59 pm »

Ok,
Since were on 80's Rock legends... here is a doozy from 94 with the Oz Man Himself...
Please forgive the Profanity Symbol... Ozzy Made me do it....!!!
I got the opportunity to meet alot of celebs in the 90's... it was a fun time in my life...

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 09:33:23 am »

Thats pretty cool John... I used to work for Ticketmaster and have seen many shows in the front row, but nothing backstage... thats great.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 11:08:48 am »

Awesome pics John...I am sure you would have never raised that finger if the Ozzman hadn't made you do it.
I didn't like the 'Back in Black' album when it came out, as I was a big Bon Scott AC/DC fan - started listening to them when a friend bought an Aussie LP of Dirty Deeds around 1977 - manage to see them in '79 'Highway To Hell' as the headliner for a Q102 (Dallas radio) free concert - Triumph and Blackfoot were the warm up bands.
Never like Van Hagar, but liked them both separately. Losing a singer is probably the hardest thing for a band to overcome and I do applaud them for the success they had, but their music just didn't do anything for me.
Only time I was ever backstage was ZZ Top (Eliminator tour) and it was only an after show pass - Billy Gibbons was cool and nice, but Dusty Hill was kind of a jerk - never saw Frank Beard.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 01:06:15 pm »

Just noticed that VH1 Classic (different channel than VH1) is playing an hour long Journey 2008 concert several times this week. I would think it has the new singer, but have not watched it yet.
The show is called "Classic In Concert" and they play old and new concerts that are out on DVD usually. It is airing a 2-hour ZZ Top Live in Texas concert this week as well.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: