SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 11:00:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I am Retired  (Read 10385 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 08:24:02 pm »

Sounds like it really needs a freight elevator to the man cave! You could hide the entrance behind some fold down bushes and install a fire pole that you can only access by pressing a red button. The button would need to be hidden, maybe under the head of a fake statue............

And a butler named Alfred who restores machines as a side job.

A lot of stuff.
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 07:53:10 pm »

congrats on a great collection.lots of time and effort went in to this i am sure
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:27 pm »

ed how long did it take you to find all your uprights and were did you find the royal crowns
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 09:45:03 pm »

Jared

I've always wanted a Coke machine ever since I was a kid.  The 44 was my first into to the world of machines as the Pharmacy that we went to as a kid had one for use, (this was the early 80's.... the owner himself was a Coke lover)  I was looking for over a year before I bought my first machine (a 44) as I was doing research on machines, what to buy etc... then I ran into this site.  Started to buy 3.5 years ago...... I flipped many machines, and snowblowers to fund some of my machines, and saved all cash that I got from selling scrap metal (off cuts and demolition work) from my structural steel business.  Scrap is always paid in cash, and typically I account for the scrap material when I price a job, so the scrap cash is free machine money lol.

I got my RC 81 because of this site, as a member was selling off his collection, and I struck a deal with him to buy 2 machines, but I left with 3 lol
The RC 110 I got in KY, and it was a Ebay listing, where I contacted the seller, and made a deal with him outside of Ebay when there was no bid on the machine, yet he had many lowball offers, and a few reasonable ones, but he was simply fed up with all the emails of barter, low 3 digit offers, and the machine for parts... so I guess I have to thank all the people who replied for that one Smiley

I've collected a lot of machines over a relatively short period of time.. but even in that time frame, I have seen the prices rise and the inventory of original machines diminish.   I just wish I started collecting 10 years ago, when I truly had disposable income, the option of placing machines on the main floor (I wasn't married yet lol) and the prices of machines and the availability in our favour.

Retired or not, if a nice machine comes up, I gotta move on it lol.... a 44 takes up only 2sq feet, and a nice original VMC 44 is a thought lol..... I guess it never ends  laugh

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 05:54:20 am »

>>I guess it never ends.
Hasn't yet and hope it never does.
Creighton
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 08:45:50 pm »

Ed   thanks for the nice reply.you are right you are never retired.i started with just one for the back porch and you start researching and find ones that you just have to have and the rest is history.just got my 81D back from restoration and it looks amazing.now the quest is on to complete the other ones on the list.the hunt is alot of fun.take care    Jared
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 10:30:12 pm »

It's so true... the hunt is sometimes greater than the catch.
I must admit... I love driving to far off places, late nights at rest stops, Stern on the radio, and the sight of a rare machine in the back....... priceless  smile

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 08:34:08 am »

It's so true... the hunt is sometimes greater than the catch.
I must admit... I love driving to far off places, late nights at rest stops, Stern on the radio, and the sight of a rare machine in the back....... priceless  smile

How true is this... call us weird, but I love this part of it as well... seeing a Craigslist post at 9pm, calling the seller, striking a deal and making arrangements to meet him the next morning before he goes to work, so you can beat out anyone else going to get the "Bargain" machine.. The seller states but I'm 3 hours away.. you say no problem, i'll be there at 7am..  You get on the road at 4am and the adrenaline is pumping and your thinking to yourself "who does this kind of stuff".... and you pick up an nice original 81b for $500, cause you got to the seller first ... LOVE THAT!

Oh also the smell of an old vintage machine... LOVE THAT TOO>>.

Man we are weird... Thank God I got you guys/gals to assure me I'm not insane... glare biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
ld26
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 06:56:00 pm »

Well said signguy, feel exactly the same

I love quikold coolers
www.quikold.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: