SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 10:08:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I am Retired  (Read 10383 times)
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« on: July 22, 2014, 10:01:48 pm »

Well..... I think with this purchase, I have everything I want in my collection (except for that elusive 81 7up) and with this, I am retired from collecting.  I wont say no to great deals to flip, or to upgrade a machine or two of mine (or heck, even a nice Jr Quikold.... lol)  but as for uprights, I am done.  I just cant see a 7up 81 coming my way anytime soon.

So, with this RC 110 that I picked up on the weekend, it completes the 5 110's that were made.
All machines are complete except for the 7up missing the coin mech, and the RC is missing a few shelves and the crank handle.
They are all tucked away for future resto's.... and moving 5 110's today to take this picture.... made me realize that I am NOT putting them downstairs (13 steps on a round staircase) in the mancave, but will have to work on the wife over the years to have them upstairs.  I think I can do it too! lol

http://s873.photobucket.com/user/valbono/slideshow/

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:52:37 pm »

I'm glad it worked out! Congrats the lineup looks awesome!

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:07 am »

Congrats Ed! Great collection!

I have 110 shelves and a crank handle if you want to complete your RC.

PM or email me if interested.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 06:18:36 am »

Nice line up. Looks like you need the Dr Pepper and the Coke small coin door 110.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:41:08 am »

Great score Ed!  Glad you were able to assemble the entire line-up. But who are you trying to kid with this nonsensical talk of retirement? biggrin Cool laugh

drinking Tim drinking
CocaMan
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:01:29 am »

You finished that collection, now you will find something else to collect.  Maybe you can start on signs to decorate more wall space now.  I would hate to move all of those machines at how much they probably weigh.  Congrats-

Vendo 44 (original)
Jacobs 56 (original)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:21:07 am »

Nice line up. Looks like you need the Dr Pepper and the Coke small coin door 110.
I agree!  Still two more to acquire...
Nice line up though ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

TheGarbageHunter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:10:50 am »

Very very nice!!

Garbage Gold Hunter
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:09:32 am »

You may slow down a bit, but never retire...

what is your 81 collection looking like , do you have all of them (except for the 7up) as well?

Pull those out into the backyard next to the 110s'... would make for a killer photo... and well take up a fund for the Chiropractor bill!!! glare oh biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:04:33 pm »

Yes I have all the 81's except for the "elanor" 7up 81
Pepsi 81 original
Coke 81 refurbished
Dr Pep 81 restored
RC Cola 81 restored

True, I may not retire lol, but after moving 5 110's in an hour,  retirement was on my mind  laugh.
I'll never stop being a member here though  smile

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:23:58 pm »

Ed

You wont retire !!  You still need a Lollypop Sign LOL 

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:59:14 pm »

So would this be considered "TEASING"...

pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 05:35:03 pm »

Anyone who can amass a collection of machines from the major players, be it 110's 81's sliders or whatever gets my utmost admiration!! BTW, if you're retired, HOW are you gonna get these restored without breaking the "I Think I'M Retired" clause? Anyway, awesome collection. Looking forward to seeing them in all their restored glory!!!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:38 pm »

Just aquiring that set of 110's is the thrill and satistfaction of this hobby.  Can't say the same about restoring each of them though!
If mine, I would store that family all together and direct that resoration cash towards chasing down more treasure.  happydrinkers

Glen
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 07:40:30 pm »

Nice collection.  I am near retirement too.  Space is always an issue. 

A lot of stuff.
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 07:47:19 pm »

Everytime I think I'm Out, There's Another Machine That Pulls Me Back In!

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 08:32:18 pm »

That's the thing.... I don't want to stop buying because of  don't want any more... I need to stop because I only have so much room to display them!  As it is now, I have 16 machines in my mancave (and the are all spaced out nicely, not in the way of anything).
Yes John... that 7up 81 is a tease! Is it for sale? lol.....  darn  I have a problem! lol
Always room for a 44 lol....

Yes Leonard... a lollipop sign would be nice... as would a coke safety cop, or a 36" button, or more Vendo coin changers...... the list goes on
Once I get my Victor bar in the cave (just picked it up with the RC) I will take pics of the setup I have... people have been asking me to post.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:59 pm »

Dang nice collection and slide show. Thank you for that!
Myself I'd just give the exteriors a clean and polish. Great matching patina going on there.

Any party should last into the wee hours with 550 cold in the 110's before a single dime drops in the 81's :-)
Creighton
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 10:55:15 am »

Nice collection, congrats!
If your "retired" maybe it's time to turn to working on your house, well, maybe just a small addition. Sounds like it really needs a freight elevator to the man cave! You could hide the entrance behind some fold down bushes and install a fire pole that you can only access by pressing a red button. The button would need to be hidden, maybe under the head of a fake statue............
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 02:12:59 pm »

I agree with Glens Statement about "now the real work has begun to get them restored" but if your hiring it out, then it's just cash flow...

I agree that most of the fun is the "Hunt"... I had all the 81's as well , except for the RC of course and had fun obtaining them all, but then had a realization that : 1- I don't have the money to restore all of them, 2- if I did , I don't have the room to display them all, and 3-  The cash would be nice to pursue some other things...

so I sold the Generic, The Pepsi, but kept my original 81D Coke and have this 7up that will someday sell I'm sure for the right offer so I can take the MS on a nice Trip to Italy...

but in the meantime , it's fun just to know I have it...

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 08:24:02 pm »

Sounds like it really needs a freight elevator to the man cave! You could hide the entrance behind some fold down bushes and install a fire pole that you can only access by pressing a red button. The button would need to be hidden, maybe under the head of a fake statue............

And a butler named Alfred who restores machines as a side job.

A lot of stuff.
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 07:53:10 pm »

congrats on a great collection.lots of time and effort went in to this i am sure
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:27 pm »

ed how long did it take you to find all your uprights and were did you find the royal crowns
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 09:45:03 pm »

Jared

I've always wanted a Coke machine ever since I was a kid.  The 44 was my first into to the world of machines as the Pharmacy that we went to as a kid had one for use, (this was the early 80's.... the owner himself was a Coke lover)  I was looking for over a year before I bought my first machine (a 44) as I was doing research on machines, what to buy etc... then I ran into this site.  Started to buy 3.5 years ago...... I flipped many machines, and snowblowers to fund some of my machines, and saved all cash that I got from selling scrap metal (off cuts and demolition work) from my structural steel business.  Scrap is always paid in cash, and typically I account for the scrap material when I price a job, so the scrap cash is free machine money lol.

I got my RC 81 because of this site, as a member was selling off his collection, and I struck a deal with him to buy 2 machines, but I left with 3 lol
The RC 110 I got in KY, and it was a Ebay listing, where I contacted the seller, and made a deal with him outside of Ebay when there was no bid on the machine, yet he had many lowball offers, and a few reasonable ones, but he was simply fed up with all the emails of barter, low 3 digit offers, and the machine for parts... so I guess I have to thank all the people who replied for that one Smiley

I've collected a lot of machines over a relatively short period of time.. but even in that time frame, I have seen the prices rise and the inventory of original machines diminish.   I just wish I started collecting 10 years ago, when I truly had disposable income, the option of placing machines on the main floor (I wasn't married yet lol) and the prices of machines and the availability in our favour.

Retired or not, if a nice machine comes up, I gotta move on it lol.... a 44 takes up only 2sq feet, and a nice original VMC 44 is a thought lol..... I guess it never ends  laugh

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 05:54:20 am »

>>I guess it never ends.
Hasn't yet and hope it never does.
Creighton
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 08:45:50 pm »

Ed   thanks for the nice reply.you are right you are never retired.i started with just one for the back porch and you start researching and find ones that you just have to have and the rest is history.just got my 81D back from restoration and it looks amazing.now the quest is on to complete the other ones on the list.the hunt is alot of fun.take care    Jared
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 10:30:12 pm »

It's so true... the hunt is sometimes greater than the catch.
I must admit... I love driving to far off places, late nights at rest stops, Stern on the radio, and the sight of a rare machine in the back....... priceless  smile

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 08:34:08 am »

It's so true... the hunt is sometimes greater than the catch.
I must admit... I love driving to far off places, late nights at rest stops, Stern on the radio, and the sight of a rare machine in the back....... priceless  smile

How true is this... call us weird, but I love this part of it as well... seeing a Craigslist post at 9pm, calling the seller, striking a deal and making arrangements to meet him the next morning before he goes to work, so you can beat out anyone else going to get the "Bargain" machine.. The seller states but I'm 3 hours away.. you say no problem, i'll be there at 7am..  You get on the road at 4am and the adrenaline is pumping and your thinking to yourself "who does this kind of stuff".... and you pick up an nice original 81b for $500, cause you got to the seller first ... LOVE THAT!

Oh also the smell of an old vintage machine... LOVE THAT TOO>>.

Man we are weird... Thank God I got you guys/gals to assure me I'm not insane... glare biggrin

ld26
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 06:56:00 pm »

Well said signguy, feel exactly the same

I love quikold coolers
www.quikold.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: