SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 10:15:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lesson in trust  (Read 11966 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: October 17, 2013, 10:19:57 pm »

So I've posted on here about my lamp business on Etsy and have heard back from a few folks, even sold a lamp to a member!  I've had a couple members inquire about how I connect my insulators to the lamps.  Normally, I would never give out that information since it has cost me hundreds of dollars in parts and countless hours to figure out the perfect combo.  That being said, the advice and help I've gotten on this site has helped me to the point where I was willing to trust the members here with my ideas.

That being said, I was contacted by a long-time board member asking for a how-to so they could build a lamp for their son.  Sounded like a great project, and I love the idea of any kind of engineering project with a kid, so I was more than willing to share my design with them.  I provided instructions and some photos of how I set stuff up.

Well this week I find another new shop on Etsy that has direct ripoffs of one of my lamp designs as well as my business card holders.  It only took a tiny bit of research to figure out it was the wife of said member that was building these.  Pretty messed up.  I get that my designs aren't patented or copyrighted, but the fact that a member of SMC would deceive me and copy my designs really floors me. 

I won't hold back, I'm pissed off and more than that it hurts that I would be wronged by someone who I thought I could trust.  Important business lesson learned though.  darn darn darn darn darn darn darn

cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:29 pm »

That sucks when a good deed is followed up by getting screwed by the person you were trying to help.  Just keep doing what you are doing they will get theirs in the end.  By the way I am planning to buy a lamp from you in the near future I like your designs.

Greg
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 05:22:50 am »

Welcome to my world, I had to stop posting pictures of the machines I design and other things I do for that very reason but it's life I guess and when friends do you wrong as my so called old friend did to me not so long ago, it just SUCKS! but keep up the good work you do, your stuff looks great!

Curtis Kauffman
Memory Lane Restorations/www.retrovending.com
vintage-air
10 Cent Member

Restoring America...1 machine at a time!

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:38:45 am »

Tkaz, with all due respect... hate to hear about your bad business experience but this forum is no place to vent your anger towards another member. Send them a PM or call them directly. This site and forum is about soda machines and the like and sharing information about the hobby. Your situation is just part of doing business and we've all been there. Lets try and keep things positive and encourage one another in this hobby. We have enough negative news on TV theses days!

RC-81
Pepsi -81
Coca Cola 81-D's
Vendo 39's
Vendo 44's
WD-12's
WH5-T
Westinghouse Junior
Victor 3 door cooler
Lots of picnic coolers... RC, Grapette, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange Crush
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:13:27 am »

Wow... hate to hear that... You do really good work and have great ideas... sad that this happened to you
and even more sad when you think someone is your friend and they take advantage of your kindness.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 07:41:41 am »

Several years ago in the early days of computer, a friend of mine posted some information online about my Coke machines, but used a photo from someone elses website.
        It only took 1 call from that person, for me to quickly have that photo removed. I was embarassed and really meant no harm.

Glen
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:07:20 am »

What kind of lamps do you make / sell?

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:12:11 am »

If you click the link at the bottom of his post it takes you to his store page.

Greg
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 08:57:31 am »

Ahhh ok.... thanks

Nice lamps..... I like the re-use of one thing to make another.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:52 am »

It's in general chat and has a link to the message board, although not directly, so I think the post is ok.

Imitation is supposed to be flattery, but no good deed goes unpunished.

I have a bunch of those insulators and I thought about building a couple of those, but I would never have gone on esty with it!! Don't worry, I realized I'm just not that motivated! I'm ethical enough I wouldn't have asked for your help to rip your process off to be direct competition in your marketplace.

It's a good reminder to all, although it's a community in here, friends and friendly are 2 different concepts. 

Tim
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:39:13 am »

really sorry to hear that..

Curtis, I borrowed your Sun Maid Idea. Didn't know it was yours at the time so apologies if I have offended you. We do have an Ocean between us and if I did ever sell it it would be to a different market.

Dave
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 09:45:16 am »

I love the carburetor  lamp . Very nice work !

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
cyberphox

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 11:19:59 am »

that does suck...you were the first to respond and help me with my actuator on my machine...
Appreciate the help...hope things can get worked out and you stick around and still be as helpful as always!
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 12:02:19 pm »

That truly sucks!!!   Imitation may be the truest form of flattery, but not in this case.   True, this is a soda machine forum, but as mentioned in the past, if someone on the board is that unscrupulous as to effectively "steal" income from you by taking your mental property, than thats not cool in my book and I'd rather not have to worry about dealing with them.   If you can't trust the folks who you rely on for info then your kind of on your own and what's the point of the site....example, I had contacted Rod from Fun-tronics a short time ago as I remembered seeing his Hershey Stoner sometime back and I loved the graphics (I'm working on a machine with my daughter now).  I could blow up pix and take to a shop and try to get copies made, but that's not how I roll.  I contacted him and when he explained the work (not to mention expense) that went into the design and production and he created it as a one off-er....I respected that and left it at that. You reap what you sow..........Anyway, your product is truly gorgeous and I hope to have the funds to purchase a piece or two shortly.  I have also referred several friends to your Etsy site and everyone thinks its beautiful and a really neat idea. 
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 01:59:55 pm »

That sucks. Nice work by the way. Call him out on it!

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
TheGarbageHunter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »

That sucksssssss!

Garbage Gold Hunter
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 02:55:08 pm »

I would call him out on it too! It's one thing if someone you don't know copies your idea but to have another SMC member do that is very poor. I guess I thought there was some "assumed" respect for other members on this board. Please PM me the link so I know who to support and who not to. That just plain stinks!
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 03:26:10 pm »

Sorry for your bad lesson learned Tom. That really sucks...Your lamps are really cool!

However, I too am getting tired of not calling people out on this site. It seems like many members walk on eggshells and won't name the guilty culprit.

Why is that?  Is it for fear of repercussion?  We would all be better off knowing who we shouldn't deal with...c'mon everyone...grow some b's!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:28:59 pm by Slider-Bob » Logged

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 03:32:18 pm »

Maybe we could just call him out and not grow the "b's"  blush
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 04:09:58 pm »

That does suck, but could you send me detail pictures and measurements so I can understand this situation a little better. biggrin  Seriously, sorry to hear that.  I don't like when you help someone and then they end up screwing you in the end.  That's not cool.

I agree that general chit chat is just that.  Chat away.

I also agree in exposing anyone who wronged anyone on this site.  If I ever do anything intentionally or unintentionally to anyone on this site that is wrong one way or another, feel free to let everyone know.

Did you write these people and verify that they were the ones that were selling your designs? 

A lot of stuff.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »

Did you write these people and verify that they were the ones that were selling your designs? 

I think that would be the first thing I would do.   A quick perception check with the person that may have copied, and sold your design.

Sorry Tom, always been helpful on the site. I hope it gets sorted out...
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 05:24:03 pm »

Yes, I did my homework and verified who it was.  I had sent a PM and didn't hear back until after I posted on here.  I'm not going to call them out, it's not going to fix anything to do that.  I don't really care if they keep selling the designs, it's just the principle behind the whole situation.

HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 06:48:55 pm »

Downside it plain sucks. Upside they don't have the skill or imagination to come up with something as good themselves.  Chalk it up to the price of education and keep up the good work.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 07:53:34 pm »

Tom,

I'm very sorry to hear this happened, especially from another SMC member ! ! !
I am really ashamed with the recent turn of events with everything at SMC ! ! ! With that said, I would like very much to know, as would several other members, who this person is so this type of activity can be brought to everyone's attention!  SMC has grown over the years, endured some ups and downs with differences of opinions, but by doing nothing only encourages others at some point to abuse their SMC Integrity, something that has endured over the years until recent events!
I hope you agree with me!

My six cents,

Jim

memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 08:37:57 pm »

Hey Dave, all good here, My deal was I was doing a machine for a customer and told an old friend about it & he told his buddy to do his machine how I was doing mine & he would supply the decals and gave him my customers name, then tried to sell his machine to my customer. My customer didn't buy it and thinks both these guys are low and underhanded.
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 11:09:30 pm »

I don't see anything wrong with reverse engineering something you see and trying to build it yourself, it happens all the time.  But to contact someone to ask then how they created a unique product, then copy it for resell is pretty low.  Would not be that big of a deal if they sold them locally or in their own little antique mall booth, but to compete side by side on Etsy and even try to undercut on price ---  WEASEL!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 11:47:22 pm »

Tom,
As you have found there is never a dull moment in selling original art. It will get copied. Offered for less etc...
This will happen.
Only thing I can offer is provide the best possible customer service towards making a one of kind pieces
and explain why the "Lessor" price items are inferior. Strong money in custom builds.

Best of luck!!
Creighton

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 10:42:40 am »

Sorry for your bad lesson learned Tom. That really sucks...Your lamps are really cool!

However, I too am getting tired of not calling people out on this site. It seems like many members walk on eggshells and won't name the guilty culprit.

Why is that?  Is it for fear of repercussion?  We would all be better off knowing who we shouldn't deal with...c'mon everyone...grow some b's!

People had no problem calling out an SMC Sponsor to point out his bad business habits.. what the difference here?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 12:34:46 pm »

Sorry to hear the news.

Did the person take their items off the same site your on yet ? After all this, or are they still selling them ?

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 04:47:32 pm »

To bring everyone up to speed & to put this thread to rest for the most part, the two parties involved have talked and come to a reconciliation of sorts...
And as far as I know, the items have been removed from the sellers' venue.

Moving forward, as our membership grows, we will begin to see/hear increased instances where questionable behavior shows its ugly head...
Do not think for a moment that I approve or condone this type of activity!  I can only hope that we keep SMC as honorable and respectable in the coming months and years as we have for the previous ten years.  It's up to us keep our standards high, be ethical and not infringe on others' way of life!
Remember what brought us together, collectible soda machines and related collectibles ! ! !
Sure, bring some of life's triumphs & tribulations into the mix, but at the same time, keep things simple...

Thank you for listening...

My six cents,

Jim

Chris
25 Cent Member

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 05:11:14 pm »

Well said Jim. Glad they got things worked out. Thanks for the update.

Chris

Vendo 23A
Vendo 80(Red/White Original)
Vendo 80(All Red Original)
Seeburg JL (Original)
Watling Penny Scale (Restored)
Stoner Jr
Stoner 180
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 08:00:03 am »