SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 02:26:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ol' Smoothie Rootbeer Cooler Nearly Done  (Read 12208 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »

For those of you who know me , know the story of Ol' Smoothie Rootbeer and for those who don't you can read more about it at this link from another discussion..
http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,15509.0.html

But I've been talking about creating a Fantasy Ol' Smoothie Rootbeer cooler to put in my collection of Ol' Smoothie Rootbeer Stuff and it's finally done (almost.)
I recently found some advertising that gave me the idea of colors, and layout for the side panels of an SS 700 style Cooler that I wanted to use. I've had the cooler for some time now and now that I found the artwork it was time to start.

HUGE THANKS to my buddy Eric (from SMC) who basically redrew the graphics for me based on the original sign graphics I found..

I was struggling with colors as I did't really want a brown and yellow cooler and have it looks like a UPS Truck in my basement... another peice of advertising I found had a really nice tourquoise blue they've used and it looks good with the yellow, white and brown.. so I figured I'd go with that..

the colors on the orignal sign where more orange , than yellow, but knowing that was not original and figured it was due to printing , fading, and who knows what its' been through over the past 50 years  I went with the correct yellow logo color and matched it off of other advertising I had.

I had new panels made from sheet metal and had the cooler stripped and painted.

I had the thought about some ways to lay out the graphics, screen printing was one option but proved pricey.. so we looked at vinyl layering , however there where too many layers overlapping , so my local sign guy can print full color HD color on vinyl and so we went with that... he then Cut out the whole image and applied it to my painted panels which match the cooler..

I had a new tank liner made out of shiney new galvanized and installed that with all new insulation panels and put it back together last night...

I had the original hinges and handles replated in brass and also used brass hardware to hold it all together as it looks more vintage I think...

the only thing I have to do is re-fasten the cap catcher and find an original bottle opener for it.

There is alot of blue, so I am thinking I may get some very mild pinsriping done on the legs, but I'm not sure, looking for opionions on that ... I'm making up some old wooden cases with the ol smoothie logo and will put bottles in those and put them down below, so maybe that will break it up enough, we'll see.

so all in all I'm pretty happy about it... the pictures are not the best as I assembled the whole thing in my collection room downstairs... but thanks for looking!

First picture is of original Cooler..
I have get one of the inside and side graphics as well, as they are simliar but a little different..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:05:08 pm by SIGNGUY » Logged

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 03:03:13 pm »

More...

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 03:08:46 pm »

Here is another original advertising peice , this is where i got the color scheme from and matched colors to this one, but used the layout from the other.

MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:44:42 pm »

Nice job John !

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
CocaMan
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »

John, that looks great!  I love the colors and the graphics.  Definitely something different.

Vendo 44 (original)
Jacobs 56 (original)
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 04:13:27 pm »

Looks fantastic John. 

I still have the S&S 700 Pepsi for sale if you decide you ever want to do another one.

Again, great job!

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 05:15:31 pm »

as usual, great job

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 05:17:10 pm »

John,

That looks great.  It's nice to recreate a bit of the family history.

Eric your work is greater than great, as usual.

Larry

A lot of stuff.
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 05:20:59 pm »

Beautiful cooler................I love the graphics you decided on.  And that blue really "pops"
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 05:45:38 pm »

Great job John

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b