SMC Discussion Areas
June 02, 2024, 06:45:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loading an old Coke Machine  (Read 10468 times)
theredfro

« on: September 13, 2012, 07:31:13 am »

I'm taking an old (1950's or 1960's?) Coca Cola machine off someone's hands this Saturday.  It's about an hour drive and I've got one helper and a pickup truck.  I'm just wondering if that's enough muscle, or do I need to find another person?  Any tips for a noob?

The only machine I've moved before was a Dixie Narco from the 80's (I think) and it was heavy as sin.  Hoping the older ones are lighter.  All suggestions welcomed.

Josh
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:51:06 am »

you should be fine with two of you.  Just make sure to have a ramp to get it on the truck and a hand truck.

Greg
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:31:37 am »

And a hydraulic lift built on the pickup truck.  Just kidding.

2 people can move almost any machine, except the one that took 3 people to move (a SPACARB) with Pat P. last weekend for Brian.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
theredfro

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:39:19 am »

My plan was to lean the machine against the back of the truck and then lift it in so it lays flat on its back.  Is that doable?  Not sure I can get ramps.  I know we've got access to a furniture dolly, and a 4 wheel dolly.

Thanks,
Josh
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:43:20 am »

My plan was to lean the machine against the back of the truck and then lift it in so it lays flat on its back.  Is that doable?  Not sure I can get ramps.  I know we've got access to a furniture dolly, and a 4 wheel dolly.

Thanks,
Josh

That should work fine - I would bring some blankets to ease the act of sliding it into the bed of the truck.    Don't forget to let it sit upright for 24 hours before plugging it in.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:58:53 am »

Some guys here use pieces of PVC pipe to roll the machine into the truck.
I've handled most 50's & 60's machines by myself, so you should be fine with two guys.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:22:09 am »

Any idea of model... round top / square top?... I would think 2 guys could do the job.... And don't forget to post pictures when you get it home!
Good Luck! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:27:33 am »

That should work fine - I would bring some blankets to ease the act of sliding it into the bed of the truck.    Don't forget to let it sit upright for 24 hours before plugging it in.

Jim

Yep. I use wooden dowel rods to roll it into the bed of my pic-em-up truck & also a ratchet-strap to keep it from sliding side to side when you are making those 90-degree/70 MPH turns... smile

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
buzz4041
5 Cent Member

Buzz's Shop

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 11:28:54 am »

Cardboard under the blanket will let it slide nicely in the bed. Just be sure to tie it off or wedge it to keep it in place.

VMC 33 7UP original
VMC 81 7UP original restored
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »

To get one in the back of my jeep I have found a piece of plywood between the machine and the surface works good. Since the machine is not always perfectly flat, it doesn't always slide well but the plywood does and it pivots better then the machine itself when you are lifting it.

Tim
theredfro

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions!  We've got straps and we'll get some plywood, blankets, and cardboard.  A friend of a relative's parents got divorced and she wants to throw the thing away, so I said I'd take it.  biggrin

All I know about the machine is it's really old, doesn't work properly right now, and has a round top.  I'll post pics once I get it home.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 12:47:35 am »

[

All I know about the machine is it's really old, doesn't work properly right now, and has a round top.  I'll post pics once I get it home.
[/quote]

Watch the Newbie picks up a Vendo 81, or. VMC 81! biggrin

Pictures are a must!  Hopefully  luck will be on your side and you pick up a beauty your first time out!
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 02:00:36 am »

It's amazing how strong I sometimes got when picking up a machine. Back in the day before Internet or ebay when ads where in paper with no pictures. I would go to someones house and see a near perfect 81 or 72 and all I want to do is get it out of there asap. I can remember walking a machine though back yards, up or down stairs to my truck sitting in their driveway and doing it alone. It was truly mind over matter. Now everything has pictures so it kinda takes some of the fun out of it.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 03:59:49 pm »

I also have loaded many machines by myself.  I use a two wheeler to get it to the back of the truck and use two pieces of 3 inch pvc pipe about 4 ft. long.  Tip the machine onto the tailgate and place one pipe in the opening between the tailgate and bed.  Tip the machine over and slide it onto the pipe and then put the other piece of  pipe under the back and just roll the machine into the bed.  A strap to hold in place and you are gone in 60 seconds....

aspbear
theredfro

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 11:45:30 am »

We got the machine home, though it was definitely at least a 2 man job.  It's a VMC A340 (or 340A).  My research on this machine shows that it's about 600 pounds.   jawdrop

So it turns out that what I did know about the machine was all wrong...  It's a square top (rounded edges, though), and whether it works or not is unknown.  I'm still in the 24 hour waiting period.  I love the machine.  It looks awesome, though I will clean it up and maybe find some parts for it.  It could use some body work, but I'm probably not qualified to do that.

And, as promised, here are some pics:
theredfro

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 11:50:14 am »

Also, I have a silly question...  How do I open this thing?  It looks like the place you'd expect to find a lock is empty.  Is there some trick, or a specific tool I need?

I've been googling all day and can't figure it out.  The manual for this model continues to elude me.

Here's a pic:
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 12:00:00 pm »

The big machines need love too! That is definately a two man machine! It is a VMC-340A (automatic).
Glad you like it as that is all that really matters!
Use a Allen wrench to open - 3/8" probably.
I can see about scanning a manual.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 01:35:43 pm »

What are your plans for the machine? Are you looking to use it? How much did it cost?

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 01:42:28 pm »

That's a round top.
Did you have to take it out of or put it into a basement?

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
theredfro

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 09:52:26 pm »

The big machines need love too! That is definately a two man machine! It is a VMC-340A (automatic).
Glad you like it as that is all that really matters!
Use a Allen wrench to open - 3/8" probably.
I can see about scanning a manual.

That worked, and I'm in!  I found 3 really old Coke bottles (2 still full), a bunch of new bottle caps, and 55 cents.  I would really appreciate it if you could get me a copy of the manual.  Being a newb I want to make sure I don't do something stupid.

What are your plans for the machine? Are you looking to use it? How much did it cost?

I'm planning on putting it in my man cave (once that's built).  Not sure if I can use it or not.  I'll have to see if it takes IBC or Stuart's bottles.  But I think it just looks cool - nice and retro.  I finally turned it on today and it seems like it might work.  I'm guessing I should clean it up a little before really testing it out.  It cost me... $31 in gas, minus the 55 cents I found in it.

That's a round top.
Did you have to take it out of or put it into a basement?

Guess I'm not clear on square top/round top yet.  And yes, I removed my back door and put it into my basement.  I think it will stay there for quite some time...
theredfro

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 10:03:18 pm »

Another general question: what's the best way to clean these things? 

I'm thinking WD-40 for all the metal parts, and a vacuum for the cobwebs and droppings?  That's right, there was a mouse turd blocking coins from dropping.  Had to take apart the coin mech to find that...

Maybe there's a thread or a site that gives general guidance on cleaning up vending machines?  Any advice is appreciated.  And thanks for all the help so far!  This is kind of a fun hobby.
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 05:29:12 am »

Simple green works well for getting the old sticky coke off....Be careful it will take the paint off if you scrub too hard. Not sure there is a "How-To clean up an old machine..." section on here I have been working on my own machine and keeping up with the progress on a blog....Lot's of pics and descriptions of what I have done so far. Check it out it may help some....

www.vendo80.blogspot.com

Nice find by the way....Congrats.

Brian
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:05 am »

I owned one of these once not too long ago, I took it in trade on a V90 I sold to a customer ( reluctantly) I called it "Big Bertha" watch out for the vending motor & gears & chain, it will nip off a finger tip & not even pause long enough to say gotcha!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 11:56:08 am »

340!!! That's a lot of soda on hand!!! You better make it a man stadium!! If you like the big ones, you can have quite a collection of good machines for cheap money!

Tim
theredfro

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 02:05:10 pm »

340!!! That's a lot of soda on hand!!! You better make it a man stadium!! If you like the big ones, you can have quite a collection of good machines for cheap money!

My other machine is a DN-312 and it works great, but it doesn't look anywhere near as cool as this VMC 340A.  I picked both of these up this month, and I had just cut my soda habit to 2 per week...
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 02:58:46 pm »

My other machine is a DN-312 and it works great, but it doesn't look anywhere near as cool as this VMC 340A.  I picked both of these up this month, and I had just cut my soda habit to 2 per week...

I did the same thing, but I cut my soda consumption to 1 per day - usually when I get home from work. 

I don't drink much alcohol so I equate it to my Father coming home from work every day and having a beer.   Probably the same number of calories.   laugh   Just sitting down with an ice cold coke in a glass bottle is a nice way to unwind.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 07:38:27 pm »

I don't think you have to build a man cave as you said, the 340 could be the man cave...just kidding. Enjoy it.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg 100C