SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 10:55:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resto Rick  (Read 12105 times)
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 09:46:54 pm »

Post some pictures taken from a normal distance. It would be interesting if we can see the imperfections without the close ups.

Vendo 81A
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 09:47:49 pm »

This guy's work really sucks!! Always has!!

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 11:32:26 pm »

Looks like the kind of work that matches some of the goons that work for him wouldnt you say!!! For what he charges I would be very pissed.

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 02:29:11 am »

I wont even comment on this, as I know others here will for me..... But I will say that I too prefer the original ID tag on a restored machine, no matter what condition the tag is in, as that is the tag, the heart, the soul of the machine for me, it truly is one of a kind, and to reproduce that, well, it's just not the same anymore.

But that's my opinion, others may differ, and thats why we have chocolate and vanilla  smile

happydrinkers

I totally agree with you about keeping the origional tag on the machine. I don't think I would be able to replace something like that on a machine. Also now that I enlarged the picture I can see that it does look like it is just the old tag. (proboly should have done that in the first place   laugh )
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 09:47:30 am »

It has always been my opinion that it is best to stay away from any shop that boast a T.V personality as they tend to focus more on their stardom then the real job that started it all. I recently lost a friend and a future business partner as a result of a possible "T.V reality show". My brother and I stepped away from the action as the producers filmed some runs at a local drag strip. We didn't go to the track or inner act with the producers and crew, but our good friend did. The result was a badly damaged engine caused by run on to much nitrous in a race of no significant consequence, all for the purpose of filming a pilot show. Funny thing was, after the car got damaged our friend couldn't afford to race for the rest of the season so the Television crews went elsewhere to do their filming. I feel bad for your customer as this is a very expensive way to learn this rule.

Pinballnut

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 10:10:13 am »

Not that I'm knowledgeable on drink machines, just getting into it..  However, I do have 8 cars that I've restored and over two dozen pinball machines that I've also done ( all for personal use ) and I'm a bit anal when it comes to my stuff ( guess that's why I do most of it myself). There is NO WAY  I'd accept that.. Personally- If the guy payed him for it ,it's on him..I would have rejected it and told him to get it as it should be then give me a call.   BTW-  For wasting my time " This trips fuel n mileage are being subtracted off the overall bill".

My .02
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:37:27 am by Pinballnut » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 10:35:52 am »

When the guy brought the machine here, my first impression was this was a really nice job....how could I do any better? Upon closer examination I understood the total lack of detail.
       I am convinced that when the machine was broken down, the cabinet and doors were sent to a professional painter who took great pride in his work. But when it returned it was assembled by the kid.............. or maybe all 3 stooges.        
       The coin mechanism rejects all coins (and the original plating was scuffed with sandpaper on one side for some reason as shown in the picture). I do not understand where the water from condensation tube was to collect, there is no where to place a collection tray. The compressor works as well as it did before, but the machine was certainly not delivered as ready to use in the house as most restorers would do.
       The total charge was not as high as I thought it would be for a shop that is "famous", $3500.00 included the extra $350.00 to pound out the letters, but 50% deposit was required.
       I guess most of his customers are just grateful that it looks pretty and I'm sure that's all we really get to see for that millisecond on TV.
       No I am not going to re-paint the whole machine but am going to replace the front door, then fix most of the problems done by amateurs.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:56:32 am by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
Pat Pixley
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 11:12:57 am »

Well your customer will be happy knowing that it is going to be done right and done by someone who cares about the end result.
vintage-air
10 Cent Member

Restoring America...1 machine at a time!

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 12:47:15 pm »

I disagree on the un-restored tag being put back on the machine. Would you restore a car and leave the original door tag on the door? I don't think so. If you are going to invest that much time and money on a quality machine, I would have a new tag made for it for sure. I might frame the original tag with a picture of the machine on how it looked before resto. To each his own, i guess. Looks like he really got a ride by Rick and I'm sure he's rethinking his original decision.  I just sent rick an e-mail @ricksestimates@gmail.com to tell him how shoddy his work was from the pictures I saw. I think everyone else should do the same!  help
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:56:53 pm by vintage-air » Logged

RC-81
Pepsi -81
Coca Cola 81-D's
Vendo 39's
Vendo 44's
WD-12's
WH5-T
Westinghouse Junior
Victor 3 door cooler
Lots of picnic coolers... RC, Grapette, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange Crush
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 02:05:56 pm »

If folks remember his magic transformation of the vendo 39 into the cavalier that originally showed up on pawn stars, it was rick's brother that took the 39 into the pawn shop, then they took it to rick for his magic.  Both shows are fake. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: