SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 11:00:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resto Rick  (Read 12106 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« on: December 27, 2011, 08:16:26 pm »

This guy has come up in discussions all over this board and I have wanted to comment but didn't want to hi-jack someone elses thread, so I'm stating my opinions here because it's about time his game is exposed.
      Had a customer contact me about a year ago about restoring his Pepsi 110. It had been converted by Coke and they hammered the lettering section in and bondo'd over them. For this reason I declined the machine until we could find a better door.
     Later I found a door and called the guy back but he had already taken the machine to Las Vegas. 6 months later he drove 5 hours to pick it up, then waited until dark for Rick to show up as no one else would help him and Rick was making a "movie".
     When he got it home he could not get the main door to unlock and had a few other issues so he called them but was only able to leave messages, with no response.
     To make a long story short, the guy is furious and the machine is now here in my shop for re-work.
     He does not like the brush strokes in the lettering or the way the pinstriper did not follow the natural edges of each letter, the bottle door gasket does not fit right so the bottle door will not close properly as well as the main door issue, but just look at the cabinet gasket.
     Bottle stack, faceplate and shelves hammertoned without dis-assembly. He is aware of the 120v power exposed and is concerned about his kids getting zapped. Bottle opener and coin entry bezel were re-chromed but the coin return lever and crank handle were only polished. Kick plate is still bent up and was just sprayed to look like chrome.     
    I must admit they did better with the letters than I could, and the paint is shiny but the rest of the job is what I would call "quick and dirty". You guys be the judge.

Glen
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:17:41 pm »

More pic's

Glen
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:19:05 pm »

more

Glen
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:20:06 pm »

Last

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:45:41 pm »

Ugh! Hammer-tone silver on the bottle gate face? he must have used up all of his gloss white paint on something else.. it would rank up there overall as being a beginners / amateur repaint, I wont grace it by saying the word "restoration" in this case. & if you're going to make your own wiring harness, splurge a little & go to home-depot & get a $1.99 handi-box & cover to put it in...I'm dying to know what he payed for this abortion... I also love the orange-peel in the compressors area ( blue in the background) I wonder if the kickplate was done with a rattle-can or that flash-chrome stuff I've seen, 

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 08:52:46 pm »

Is the ID tag covered in paint?
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:05:37 pm »

Is the ID tag covered in paint?
Probably not covered in paint but rather faded from the sun and scratched from other machines/items rubbing against it over the years. I've seen ID tags in this condition, so it's not uncommon. In my opinion, I always prefer the original ID tag on a 100% restoration even if it's beat to hell. So it's kinda a matter of opinion as to whether the owner wants a reproduced ID tag.

Other than that, the paint chips, brush strokes, non-restored coin mech, and lack of new chrome is inexcusable on a restored machine IMO...

What does "hammertone" paint mean?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:09:32 pm by Matt » Logged

Vendo 81A
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:24:30 pm »

I wont even comment on this, as I know others here will for me..... But I will say that I too prefer the original ID tag on a restored machine, no matter what condition the tag is in, as that is the tag, the heart, the soul of the machine for me, it truly is one of a kind, and to reproduce that, well, it's just not the same anymore.

But that's my opinion, others may differ, and thats why we have chocolate and vanilla  smile

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »

WOW !!!   I feel sorry for the Guy .I've been threw the same thing as Many Know Here .

That's Why I have Pat From Here at Custom Soda Works DO ALL MY STUFF . Pats a Great Guy & We became Friends after 6months of phone conversation's & Him & Johnnie G came down to Visit & Pick up a few machines & To take one Back To Restore For Me .And Now He has 2.
I also went and Visited Pat & His Wife Cindy had A great Time .Saw some of his Work And Am Happy to have Pat Do my Machine .

As I have Seen Glens Work NICE !!! I also talked to Terry at Soda Works few years Back .. But across the Country From Me . And Shipping Would Kill Me

I know Glen You'll Make It Right !!  

Again I like Watching The Shows But that It !!!! The Work Looks Shabby & Way To Costly For Any Normal Guy Like Me .

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:29:41 pm by Ltransam » Logged

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Pat Pixley
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 09:42:20 pm »

WOW!!!!   This is like the worst restoration I've ever seen  .   It sound like Rick planned it that way to show it in the dark what better way to hide
a poor job then in the dark. So Glen can I ask is this going to be a repair of the current restoration ? or or you going to have to do the whole thing again ?

can you post a few more pictures ,  this is just unbelievable it is a eye opener.

Thanks Leonard  blush blush

Thanks for sharing  oh
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:17:34 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: